Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

2017 Accord Sedan Sports, need advice on Coilovers or drop springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Accord Sedan Sports, need advice on Coilovers or drop springs

Hello, I am new to this so I do apologize in advance if I may sound sub-par to the average Honda Tech out here. But my question is what would be a good setup for my 2017 Honda Accord sedan. Coilovers or drop springs with a strut/shock combo? I am planning to lower my car but wanting to know what are recommended for my vehicle. The car is a daily driven car so it’s not going to see any tracks or whatsoever. More looking into ride height and ride stability and comfort. I already know lowering the vehicle will make it rough but just trying to see what options are out there that would best for my needs. Looking to spend 800 or less. Any reccommendations on what setup I should do would be greatly appreciated. I did some research on some Tein street advance and TruHart and BC’s but was trying to see if there are any other brands out there that would be good. Keep me posted. Thank you.

Last edited by Daniel9thGen; 10-02-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Adding more details
Old 10-03-2017, 05:07 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 2017 Accord Sedan Sports, need advice on Coilovers or drop springs

How much lower than stock are you planning to go? For 1-2", just shorter and stiffer springs would work and would save you a lot of money. If you're planning on going more than 2", you may need to raise your budget. I don't know much about what's out there for your car specifically, but quality suspension for older Hondas is $800+. I would imagine it would be even more expensive for a brand new car.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
How much lower than stock are you planning to go? For 1-2", just shorter and stiffer springs would work and would save you a lot of money. If you're planning on going more than 2", you may need to raise your budget. I don't know much about what's out there for your car specifically, but quality suspension for older Hondas is $800+. I would imagine it would be even more expensive for a brand new car.
I am looking at a 2 inch drop. Thanks. I am going to look at some drop springs and see what they have out there. Any recommendation on shocks or should I stick with the OEM?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:12 AM
I like the tuna here

OEM would work 'ok' for a 2 inch drop, but they will be slightly undervalved for higher spring rates. If you aren't racing the car around a track then honestly I'd probably not bother replacing the shocks. Then again, you're going to have to separate the springs and shocks in order to replace the springs anyway, so it's not really any extra work. I don't know what is out there for your specific car, but I would go with trusted old-timers vs new upstart companies. Tokico and Koni are both long-time trusted performance shock manufacturers.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
OEM would work 'ok' for a 2 inch drop, but they will be slightly undervalved for higher spring rates. If you aren't racing the car around a track then honestly I'd probably not bother replacing the shocks. Then again, you're going to have to separate the springs and shocks in order to replace the springs anyway, so it's not really any extra work. I don't know what is out there for your specific car, but I would go with trusted old-timers vs new upstart companies. Tokico and Koni are both long-time trusted performance shock manufacturers.
Thanks, I will look into the Tokico's and Koni's and see what is good for my car. I will also look into some good drop springs. Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:13 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

DEFINITELY use coilovers for a 2" drop. A 2" drop is fairly significant and will likely require a few other items to get you set up properly. A 2" drop isn't exactly "mild", contrary to popular belief. Konis and Tokico shocks are also generally the same dimensions as stock shocks. Meaning they will run out of travel exactly as fast as a stock shock.

Idk who makes 2017 Accord coilovers. I would assume Tein makes something. Accord/TSX people really like Tein Street Advance model setups. They might handle a 2" drop. But...it may fall outside their recommend parameters.

Probably expect to buy alignment adjusters for the rear suspension as well.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So say I went with drop springs just for an example, I wouldn't need to replace my shocks, since you are saying the Tokico and Konis will go out the same time as my stocks? Yeah I seen some teins and bc racing for 2013 and up models for the accords. I figured i might need some rear camber kits and an alignment after dropping the car. I still debating on the drop springs if they are worth it. Might just save up and get the coilovers.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Originally Posted by Daniel9thGen
So say I went with drop springs just for an example, I wouldn't need to replace my shocks, since you are saying the Tokico and Konis will go out the same time as my stocks? Yeah I seen some teins and bc racing for 2013 and up models for the accords. I figured i might need some rear camber kits and an alignment after dropping the car. I still debating on the drop springs if they are worth it. Might just save up and get the coilovers.

I'm not saying whether the shocks will fail quickly or last a million years.

But shocks have to have travel to work properly. A 2" drop is going to eat up a lot of useable shock travel.

Koni/Tokico/Stock shocks and a LOT of replacement or performance shocks have the same length as stock. So you're going to run out of shock TRAVEL with a 2" drop just like you would on a stock shock.

A lot of coilovers even have trouble with a 2" drop.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will keep that in mind. I might not go 2 inches but we will see. I am just looking to lower the car till it covers up the wheel gaps. So it may be less than 2 inches but we will see. Thanks again on the info. Much appreciated.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Save up for a decent set of coilovers, this chassis could use a 2" drop.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I think I am planning on getting coilovers just trying to figure out which one would be a good set at a reasonable price.