Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

03-07 Accord Coilovers same as 04-08 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03-07 Accord Coilovers same as 04-08 TL?

Yes I've searched, on multiple sites even :^)

Anybody know if theyre compatible? looks like rears maybe a fork style instead of bushing, and do the fronts mount up with stock strut brace?
I know the TSX is the same, dont think the TL is but Ive been wrong before.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2016, 05:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 03-07 Accord Coilovers same as 04-08 TL?

I build coilovers for a living, and from memory, I believe the , 1G TSX, 3G TL, and 7th Gen Accord should be all the same. Only difference is the internal valving. They have some differences, but they should bolt up just fine from what I remember. I'm not at work, or I would check for you to be 100 percent sure.

The TSX I believe requires the rear lower mount to be shaved a bit. the 7th Gen/3G TL.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:13 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The TL and Accord should be physically similar. I believe they both use the same size rear fork.

But...the springs and valving may be different based on the manufacturer.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy@AMR
I build coilovers for a living, and from memory, I believe the , 1G TSX, 3G TL, and 7th Gen Accord should be all the same. Only difference is the internal valving. They have some differences, but they should bolt up just fine from what I remember. I'm not at work, or I would check for you to be 100 percent sure.

The TSX I believe requires the rear lower mount to be shaved a bit. the 7th Gen/3G TL.
i'll be able to confirm or deny this in about a month or so. I believe the top hats for a 3g tl are different.

I have a 3g TL and am looking to order a 7g accord suspension with 10k front springs. Im worried about if I'll lose damping adjustment if i have to change the front top hats to 3gtl style (bc i dont think they are the same). Im about to pull the trigger on some parts to see if I can get it to work anyway.

i think the rear may or may not need the bushing grinded down
front top hats are different
spring/valve rates are different

but thats all.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Well I build coilovers for all those chassis, including the 3G TL specifically. You are correct the top hat is different. If your using something like a TEIN basic though which uses the oem top hats, then it's pretty much a direct swap.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As I continue research (thanks andy) some people say it all bolts up and some say they had to modify slightly. The tl front top hat I believe is six bolts/nuts where the tsx I believe is only 5. Idk about the positioning though...if all 5 of the tsx studs fit through the holes in the tl frame I would probably not change top hats, and live with it. Another thing we will see in about a month.

I've been doing ALOT of research and reading. I think (bc I have had good success with them in the past) I will go with yonaka TSX fully adjustable 1 piece coil overs. They allow you to adjust the damping as well as the ride height. And a 12k front spring seems better than a 10k. I was riding on 550 lb front springs and could have gone to 600 or 650s.

Andy - can you confirm or deny this. If I was to change the top hats on an "adjustable damping" shock, I will still have the damping adjustability just a different top hat, yes? In other words, regardless of whatever top hat I use, I'll still be able to keep my damping adjustable yes? The damping adjust is part of the shock body if I'm not mistaken....

reading around, it seems like either not many people have tried much with tl suspension, or its still kind of guarded (the knowledge of what fits what). Most people just pony up the 600+ for tl specific stuff(tein, f2, megan, etc) and live with it. I'm coming from an rd1 where I built the suspension piece by piece and almost none of the parts were rd1 specific, yet my heavy *** suv still was 1 finger gap at all 4 corners, and gf approved (no complaints as a passenger). I think theres a good amount of compatible stuff for these 3g tl's we just have to find it and report back.

the yonaka suspension I like is 150 more expensive than truhart shocks and aftermarket springs, but 100 cheaper than most TL coilover options. Will keep you posted...

KP
Old 05-01-2017, 10:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The top hat is different, I already checked my drawings. I make setups for all these cars specifically. Yes, you will still have damper adjustment even if you change out the top hats, as the adjustment is within the shock shaft Sr.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello Gentlemen...I am back with news!

So from Andy as well as in 1 or 2 other places I kept seeing the theme that 1g tsx and 04-07 Accord are the same suspension. Some part numbers interchanged but not all, and nothing seemed solid except the info Andy had given. I also had seen in a couple places people using Accord suspension on 3g tl....

I got my hands on a set of Accord coilovers. I had been trying to piece together a tl specific strut and spring non adjustable combo before I jumped on these coilovers, so I had a set of tl top hats already.

I had a tough time getting the top hats changed...the ones that came on the kit were on there pretty good. At first I didn't think the bushings would come out...but I got them switched over as well. I went with some pretty stiff rates and (the reason why I jumped on these) fully adjustable damping shocks.

I have to do an axle at the same time as I install these. Once I get both of those done I'll report back.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure it will work out just fine!
Old 10-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, I did it. Moral of the story is, ALL the top hats need to be changed, not just the fronts. The backs look similar, but they are not the same.
I'm impressed and happy with the ride height, comfort, and ease of installation. If I had previously bought new TL rear top hats and swapped them on before I went to install, it would have saved a little time. Small area tightening and loosening the top hat bolts in the back...
The front springs are WAY TOO SOFT for a TL at least in my opinion. I do like to ride the car low, and it's currently tucked with a 245 45 17 tire and isn't bad, but with a passenger ill slam frame and i'm sure oil pan at any speed and bump. I've already got some new springs on order. I have the fronts on full stiff and I'm happy with the rebound, but it's the springs that are too soft, I know it. I think 12k is mandatory...I'll update after I do this axle and front springs.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KPDSM
So, I did it. Moral of the story is, ALL the top hats need to be changed, not just the fronts. The backs look similar, but they are not the same.
I'm impressed and happy with the ride height, comfort, and ease of installation. If I had previously bought new TL rear top hats and swapped them on before I went to install, it would have saved a little time. Small area tightening and loosening the top hat bolts in the back...
The front springs are WAY TOO SOFT for a TL at least in my opinion. I do like to ride the car low, and it's currently tucked with a 245 45 17 tire and isn't bad, but with a passenger ill slam frame and i'm sure oil pan at any speed and bump. I've already got some new springs on order. I have the fronts on full stiff and I'm happy with the rebound, but it's the springs that are too soft, I know it. I think 12k is mandatory...I'll update after I do this axle and front springs.
Sorry for the delay. Axle got done after the front springs were swapped for 12k. I blew a front damper(driver's) from what I can only imagine was a f*ckd up preload on that side. Swapped it for another (warranty) and test drove again today. 1 finger gap front no gap in back 245 45 tires and no rubbing.
​​​​
Old 11-03-2017, 04:19 AM

Was the preload too small? Like...was the spring loose or something? It still shouldn't cause the damper to blow.

So you raised it up and bought new springs? How come you didn't just raise it up with the 10K spring? Wouldn't it have resulted in the same thing?
Old 01-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Was the preload too small? Like...was the spring loose or something? It still shouldn't cause the damper to blow.

So you raised it up and bought new springs? How come you didn't just raise it up with the 10K spring? Wouldn't it have resulted in the same thing?
Honestly I'm stumped. It came with 10k front which was a little soft but that's what I used straight out of the box. I had a two finger gap and full stiff and I was happy...until merging on the freeway a couple times...felt bouncy but not blown....got a replacement (1) for the drivers side(this is when I changed to 12k fronts) and problem was solved... then the passenger felt bouncy...got a replacement (1)for that redid the preload and height and was happy with that for a while but if someone was to ask me how it rode or how I liked it I really felt "ehhhhh" about it.

Most recently I have moved to this setup:
Generic eBay Civic adjustment collars
Replacement bump stops(cut)
Performance oriented gas shocks (front)(for 04-07 Accord)
I forget how tall but I THINK 8 inch 12k front springs(I measured the springs from the coil overs and got that height)
Oem TL top hat

It's been maybe month and a half with this setup...I have MAYBE a one finger gap. The tire is not at the fender but it's close... Put it that way lol. I LOVE it. I could go with 13k but I'm happy right now. There was some weird sharp corner inside the front wheel well that I thought would rub/slice the tire so I hammered it down some and no issues with 245 45 17. No gap in the back.

I really do think if I would have replaced both front dampers(the ones that came with the coil overs kit) AT THE SAME TIME when I first did the 12k spring swap I would have been ok. I just wasn't impressed by the full stiffness of them honestly... possibly the weight difference in the TL really negated the "performance" aspect of being adjustable?? IDK...I can tell you my current setup rides worlds better to me.

Whenever I really truly have nothing to do for a couple days I'll put these gas charged shocks on the rear too... probably stiffen up a little... there are a few other small repairs I'll surely get to first.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:36 AM

virtually ever shock today is gas charged.

What brand of shock did you buy?

I'm surprised that a "performance" shock for that chassis can handle a 12K spring.

You sure the Yonaka wasn't set TOO stiff? Too much damping can cause a bouncy ride also.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
virtually ever shock today is gas charged.

What brand of shock did you buy?

I'm surprised that a "performance" shock for that chassis can handle a 12K spring.

You sure the Yonaka wasn't set TOO stiff? Too much damping can cause a bouncy ride also.

No I'm not sure at all sir lol. I just know I messed with it alot and was never happy with it. Either it rubbed or it bounced or I bottomed out in places I didn't think I should be bottoming out. Like it was great till I had a passenger. Then AWFUL.

Im using STAGG.

I have been very happy with it and will surely report back if there's an issue but so far great...I really want an 04-06 tsx lol (I like this car alot and it's fast but I am not loving gas in a v6) so I probably won't change this setup unless I have an issue. This car needs a few other repairs first...