Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

[FAQ] Shock Dynos

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [FAQ] Shock Dynos

Hi , sorry to bring back a old thread but a great read I must say.

If anyone has the time maybe biuld your own shocker_dyno , plans are on this website and he also sells the required electronics hardware/software.

SportDevices Dumper Analyzer shock absorber dynamometer. http://www.sportdevices.com/shockabsorber/index.htm

I will eventual make one myself just have a few to many projects going on at this stage.

If anyone has made their own shock absorber dynamometer , lets have a few picture for show and tell.

It is great if one can afford fully adjustable shock absorbers/McPherson struts inserts but always wanted to know the inside workings of a shock absorber hydraulics and how the valving is adjusted???
Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FPV_GTp

If anyone has made their own shock absorber dynamometer , lets have a few picture for show and tell.

It is great if one can afford fully adjustable shock absorbers/McPherson struts inserts but always wanted to know the inside workings of a shock absorber hydraulics and how the valving is adjusted???
https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/diy-shock-dyno-2325055/
Old 08-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi beanbag very nice shocker dynamometer you have made https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2325055 excellent work.

cheers
Old 09-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi , Does anyone have a shock dynamometer graph printout of 90/10 front struts/shocks they are willing to share???

cheers
Old 09-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rochesterricer)

these shock dynos are worthless.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rochesterricer)

Originally Posted by xkjnboix
these shock dynos are worthless.
HI xkjnboix , that is a strong statement to make , " these shock dynos are worthless, " how did you come to this conclusion ?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys (and ladies), I have a question about shock/spring/tire setup. There is so much useful information here and I'm not sure where to post this but here goes....

I'm looking for a little softer ride out of my '90 ef.

Right now I'm running the this:
tire: Falcon 195/50 15 on 2000 si rims
shock: Tokiko Blue
spring: skunk2 w/ adjustable coilovers-slip-on

All of this came on the car.
What would you recommend changing to get a little better ride? I was first gonna go to 195/60 tires and see what happens. My friend wants to trade some Nuespeed drop springs for my Skunk2. Would that better better?

I love the cornering ability but it's just too harsh on these terrible NYC roads!
Help!! Any info or thoughts is much appreciated!
thanks,
np
Old 11-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

found a great read that better helps explain shock dynos

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/?p=53
Old 01-02-2010, 02:34 PM
New User

Hi Guys

I finally found a dyne of the Skunk2 Pro-C shocks. And performed by King Motorsport so I guess they should know what they are doing?

But it looks horrible. The rebound is very sawtoothed.. Is that acceptable?
And what may be the reason for this?

The complete test can be seen here: http://www.kingmotorsports.com/PDFs_...iloverDyno.pdf
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Double u tee eff....what's up with that dyno?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EK4civichatch
Double u tee eff....what's up with that dyno?
No smoothing applied to the results? Shaft stiction?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Smoothing I don't think is the issue as the compression sweep is as smooth as butter, and it seems to show up on all 4 shocks tested. Maybe there's something wrong with the dyno itself? Otherwise it looks like a typical Taiwanese damper, linear and with not much adjustment.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yikes, something's not right either with the dyno or the shocks. Have user beanbag look at it, you'll be able to tell if you if it's the shocks or not. Either way, it doesn't look that great for a street shock, just a linear curve on compression and rebound.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great read. I'm glad it got resurrected. I'm really interested in seeing a dyno for a Progress II shock. Anyone seen one?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EK4civichatch
Smoothing I don't think is the issue as the compression sweep is as smooth as butter, and it seems to show up on all 4 shocks tested. Maybe there's something wrong with the dyno itself? Otherwise it looks like a typical Taiwanese damper, linear and with not much adjustment.
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't you want a linear shock for a performance application. While adjustment is not dramatic, each adjustment is clearly different than the next.

Not as much low speed dampening as a Koni and very similar to the PIC select.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not familiar with the SPA shock dyno.. but most of the time smoothing can't be applied to 1 axis and not the other. IE the compression has the same smoothing as the rebound.

I'd say that this is what the dyno picked up.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't you want a linear shock for a performance application. While adjustment is not dramatic, each adjustment is clearly different than the next.

Not as much low speed dampening as a Koni and very similar to the PIC select.
generally speaking no linear is not what you want for performance.

You want digressive. lots of low speed, and then have the high speed force bleed off.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think it's quite that simple. For instance, the Mugen N1's have some roll-off in the front, but are linear (or slightly progressive) in the rear.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
I don't think it's quite that simple. For instance, the Mugen N1's have some roll-off in the front, but are linear (or slightly progressive) in the rear.
ya look out side the jdm land.....
Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slammed_93_hatch
ya look out side the jdm land.....
Dismissing the Mugen N1 valving is foolish considering it won 5 WC Touring Championships.

And saying 'You want digressive. lots of low speed, and then have the high speed force bleed off.' is about as vague as can be. Talk in terms of damping ratios, knee location, transmissibility and how you determine them in your valving if you want to discuss the subject. What do you think happens with damping ratios as ride frequency increases and by what factor, how does suspension geometry affect valving, etc etc etc?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Dismissing the Mugen N1 valving is foolish considering it won 5 WC Touring Championships.

And saying 'You want digressive. lots of low speed, and then have the high speed force bleed off.' is about as vague as can be. Talk in terms of damping ratios, knee location, transmissibility and how you determine them in your valving if you want to discuss the subject. What do you think happens with damping ratios as ride frequency increases and by what factor, how does suspension geometry affect valving, etc etc etc?
Yep it won those YEARS AND YEARS ago, RTR/Galati/etc wouldn't even try and say the the N1 is up today's standards.

I will dismiss them in this day and age, sure they probably still work, but that are MUCH MUCH MUCH better options

I said "speaking in general terms", you can't/wont get any one to discuses those specific aspects with out getting very specific in terms of the Car weight/un-sprung weight/ MR/ tire grip/track grip.

I was speaking in "general terms", because that is what the poser was speaking too.

Having a "linear" shock gives you less control over cornering forces, and a a lot of force in the bump/curbs were you typically don't want it. When compared to a digressive shock.

People in this thread barely understand what a shock dyno even shows, let alone what the "high and low speed" mean in terms of valving, and you want to get into a very technical discussion?

That will serve no purpose, as the audience will become lost and not understand anything.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI

I do not and have never claim nor will i claim in the near future to be able to develop a valving for a race car. I have no desire/not enough time.

Plus you have people out there who are educated heavily on the subject and that is ALL they do. The people at Koni, Tru-Choice, Moton, JRZ, Penske etc are the people i will turn to when i need some valving.

I do understand what works and what doesn't work. Because i have seen it with countless race cars. I have seen three different people go from Tein SRD/external resivor/$3000 shocks to Koni 8041s (non revlaved) and 700f/1000r pick up 1.5 to 2 seconds a lap.

I have seen people go from the "mighty Mugen N1" to a Koni 2812 and absolutely be amazed at what a difference in made in drivability, responsiveness, and lap times.

I can give a pretty educated/tested guess on what some one should adjust if they can give me some good input on what the car is doing.

And i know the basic's of what makes a good shock, not from a book or reading online but from driving and working with a lot of drivers on the track.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have any Eibach Pro Damper dynos? ive been trying to find a graph but have had no luck
Old 03-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the Koni Str.t is valved like the koni sport on full soft, what would be the best springs rates to pair with them on coilovers?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dandaman15
If the Koni Str.t is valved like the koni sport on full soft, what would be the best springs rates to pair with them on coilovers?
x2

??

Quick Reply: [FAQ] Shock Dynos