Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

[FAQ] Shock Dynos

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Koni Question (billball)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by billball &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great thread here. I have a Koni question. Called their tech line and did not get a definitive answer. Have sent an email to Lee, but have not heard back yet.

BTW, I do not have a Honda, so sorry for invading here, but I need an answer and this seems like a good group here. If this is the wrong place to put this query, I will delete/move it.

Here we go:
When setting the rebound damping on your shocks what would you make of a shock pair in which the shocks have vastly different extension times at the same setting. I just got a replacement set from Koni after my others went bad, and here's what I observed: Set full hard on rebound, shock #1 took 48 seconds to extend while shock #2 took 26. Set 1/4 turn off full-hard, it was 36 and 22 seconds. To get #1 to 22 seconds, I had to set it at 1-1/4 turns vesus 1/4. Hmmm...

This seems real odd, but the call-in Koni tech did not say anything specific. Of course, a dyno would help. Any place in either the Contra Costa County or the Fremont/San Jose CA area?

I could send them back to Koni for a check, but I'm running out of time getting ready for an event. What would you do?

BTW, this was the rear shocks. The fronts did not exhibit this problem.

TIA,

Bill
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to clarify your situation. Are you compressing the damper and then having it extend on it's own? If so, I'm guessing it should not affect the on-car performance of the damper. The air pressure inside the dampers may be slightly different causing the difference in this free-loading extension time. In this situation, it's the gases inside the damper that are pushing the piston, and not external forces acting on the piston. It's the later that should be a concern of yours. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Just the same, you may want to give a call to Pro Parts USA down in Camarillo. They are an authorized KONI rebuild center and may be able to quell your concerns.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Koni Question (billball)

how long (time) it takes for the shock to extend on its own is not indicative of anything.

if it doesnt extend AT ALL, then you got issues.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:50 PM

anyone with the dyno for the buddy club N+ damper kit? i wonld love to see how to perform.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:28 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (frozenb)

anybody herd the skinny on the new tein dampers??? the mono flex and the super racing damper.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:55 AM
...still your worst nightmare squared

Default Re: (ATS*Hella_JDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ATS*Hella_JDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anybody herd the skinny on the new tein dampers??? the mono flex and the super racing damper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

would love to see the charts on the Super Racing Damper. Close to the N1's but with EDFC.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ATS*Hella_JDM)

this is just an assumption so don't take my word on but.

Regarding the SRD tein's, unless something or some one changed something radicly it the plots will look similiar to the oher higher end stuff from them. Mass produced stuff typically wont have extremly different vavling charactirstics from one model to the other. Now thats not to say that the SS will have the same as the SRD but other higher end setups from them.

Most damper companies have a philosophy which they follow.

If the RA is a high end damper from tein, i would expect the plot from the SRD's to look similiar to them<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM knowledge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

would love to see the charts on the Super Racing Damper. Close to the N1's but with EDFC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

or if this is true close to the N1's.

Regarding the Mono flex's. Isn't this a new/redisign of the type of damper? ( i think it marks the switch to mono tube for he flex, again not 100% sure).
Old 09-20-2006, 09:18 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (slammed_93_hatch)

thats correct . id love to see the difference with the mono flex compared to the original flex. i had the flex's and wasnt impressed at all. out of the box rates are pretty soft anyways. but the super racing offers seperate compresion and rebound adjustments and its about 2300 bucks . im curious to see if its worth a ****.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (Mike C)

Rehosting our dyno charts.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Koni Question (CelicaGTV6)

any info on bc racing???
Old 12-01-2006, 09:57 AM

HI,

im new here.
and i just want to know which has the best COMFORT regarding shocks?
am not after for cornering coz its only for street use and not on tracks. just want its comfort for my lowered car..

am using Civic'02.. tnx!!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Spring rate suggestion?

Koni SA, 3000lb car, front shock dynos. Thinking of 550 lb/ft springs. Comments?

Thanks
Old 12-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos

I would appreciate any comments on this graph. It's a track version from a well know maker. The strut is valved for an 8/6 spring set-up
Test was performed at Soft, 5 clicks harder and then full hard (30 clicks).
thanks

Old 12-25-2006, 01:30 AM

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (RoadRacer46)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RoadRacer46 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would appreciate any comments on this graph. It's a track version from a well know maker. The strut is valved for an 8/6 spring set-up
Test was performed at Soft, 5 clicks harder and then full hard (30 clicks).
thanks

</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf, is that upside down???
Old 12-29-2006, 10:12 AM

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (369 EG6)

Hey.....where's K sports?!?!?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (Mike C)

wow! good stuff. so tokico ill 5 way is not that bad
Old 01-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (GreedyAzn)

dos anyone have shock dyno for TEIN RS or new TEIN SR "super racing spec" or Koni 3011/12

RS and SR are remote reservoir type
Old 01-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (K20A_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by K20A_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Koni 3011/12
</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not that easy. IIRC there are 60 something different valving options for the 3011/12's.

If you are interested contact Andrie hartanto or civicrr on here they can set you up with a set and give you the valving you might want to go with
Old 01-24-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (slammed_93_hatch)

Can someone explain to me why Koni shocks have such low bump compression damping for low to mid velocities? Almost every non honda-tech article I've ever read credits a car's feel and responsiveness to somewhat aggressive low speed bump valving. Also, many articles have mentioned that bump valving is what will keep the car from bottoming out, and I've experienced bottoming out in Koni equipped cars that weren't excessively lowered. I've sat in cars with monotube dampers which naturally have more aggressive low speed bump valving and the difference is obvious, they are much more responsive and have better steering feel. People seem to avoid discussing the Koni's compression valving. I remember a post long ago in the rr/ax forum where an avid autocrosses switched out some high end jdm shocks for race valved Koni's and was confused because his car didn't feel as solid and tight under acceleration, braking, and turning. None of the responses mentioned the bump valving might have been the factor. The most obvious difference between the graphs I've seen so far is that most of the Koni graphs have a lot less bump valving throughout the board than the rest of the shocks. Please don't flame me, educate me.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (opeth13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by opeth13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Also, many articles have mentioned that bump valving is what will keep the car from bottoming out,
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If its a 'low speed' bottoming out then yes. but most of the time when people on the street bottom out its because of a big bump or pot hole.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (slammed_93_hatch)

it shows the buddy club racing spec force a lot higher, does that mean it can handle higher spring rates?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (SilverDc2)

no, you can't look at a shock dyno and tell what kind of spring rate it will control
Old 02-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

which coilover setup would be best? i'm currently looking at a setup but not sure which is best to buy. i like a bit of aggressive but not too much, able to take corners well enough but still maintain ride comfort. out of these 4, which would be best. Tein basic coilover damper, Tein ss coilover, tein flex coilover, or Buddy club n+ damper coilover? please give me some input.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMDC231)

Nice Thread...Helpful stuff
Old 03-01-2007, 10:16 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the first post needs to be updated. It looks like there are a few graphs in the many pages of this thread that haven't been added to the main post yet
Old 03-01-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: (Mike C)

i love konis&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Quick Reply: [FAQ] Shock Dynos