Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

[FAQ] Shock Dynos

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (NegativeLift)

Thank you NegativeLift! Excellent explanation, and great web site referenced. Thanks for taking the time to head me in the right direction!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any chance of getting your paws on a set of H&R coilovers? Love to see how they hold up
Old 08-16-2005, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (BigMoose)

If your shock dyno constructs a force-velocity curve with the PVP method, then it is necessary to study the force-displacement graph (which is a continuous) to get the same information as a CVP plot. Most nicer dynos are hydraulic (whenever you can package it) and use actuators rather than rotational cranks. The hydraulic dynos allow non-sinusoidal loading such velocity ramping.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos

The UGR full coilover dyno is complete. Ryan has the results.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:25 AM

Would love to see these:

1) H&R Coilovers
2) B+G Coilovers
3) Progerss Coilovers
4) Tokico D-Spec Coilovers
5) Tein Flex Coilovers

I know it's just a matter of getting a pair of the aforementioned, but I thought I'd throw it the mix to comment anyways.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Guam_CiviC619)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Guam_CiviC619 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would love to see these:

1) H&R Coilovers
2) B+G Coilovers
3) Progerss Coilovers
4) Tokico D-Spec Coilovers
5) Tein Flex Coilovers

I know it's just a matter of getting a pair of the aforementioned, but I thought I'd throw it the mix to comment anyways. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would really like to see the Progress, since like years ago those four magazines did the 99 SI shoot out and 3/4 used progress. One used Mugen suspension. It's weird how Progress gets a lot of props in the magazine world but nobody rocks them at all, I hope it's not the "JDM" thang.

Also I would like to see B+G, they had a few different designs since back then and are pretty pricey. For sure they are not selling like Teins but the price doesn't drop too so "I GUESS" they might be "real" coilovers.

Yup these two have been around since the early days of Import Racing so we should pay some attention to these setups.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:13 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: (MNsnowdaboy)

Yeah, I used to hear a lot of good things about the Progress coil overs. It would be interesting to see how they do.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Future Texas Boy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MNsnowdaboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would really like to see the Progress, since like years ago those four magazines did the 99 SI shoot out and 3/4 used progress. One used Mugen suspension. It's weird how Progress gets a lot of props in the magazine world but nobody rocks them at all, I hope it's not the "JDM" thang.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Might have something to do with all four magazines being owned by the same company, which is down the street from Progress
Old 08-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (vegaskurt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vegaskurt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did a ksport dyno ever get posted anywhere?</TD></TR></TABLE>

given the bang for buck, I am deciding between KSport and D2.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Suspetise...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MNsnowdaboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope it's not the "JDM" thang. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Isn't Progress a US company?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sscguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sscguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Isn't Progress a US company?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, they also a SoCal company.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.vancouvercivics.com...30841

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Originally posted by 2k3
oh ya this is old. anyways, all ksport,d2, hayame, and such are all made by BC http://www.bcec.com.tw/

they are all the same thing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I also checked out the megan racing coilovers ppl have told me about:

http://www.meganracing.com/pro...d=374

but if you look at that description compared to:

http://www.bcec.com.tw/function/function_01.html

it is almost identical AND the following descrepancies I have found:
- Megan listing 10/8 and 32 way adjustable
- D2 users/seller specify it being 11/7 and 32 or 36 way adjustable*
- K-Sports being 10/6 and 36 way adjustable*

* but this is just general overview that I recollect after researching posts and info REGARDING D2 and KSport over the last few days.

everyone says they look gawd awfully similar... and well, someone on Vancouver Civics Club seemed to have gave us the concrete solution.

D2 = K-Sport = Hayame = Megan

anymore to add to this list?

btw, the TDM (Taiwan Domestic Market) or MIT (Made In Taiwan) manufacturer states their piston diameter to be 44mm. I have yet to get a reply from any one specifying the piston diameter for D2, K-Sport, Megan.

If indeed they all have the SAME piston diameter... then I am lead to believe all the "slightly different pricing" of each BRAND name of coilover is perhaps due to small differences such as specified spring rates and ## way adjusability?

I hope this is valid info, please correct me if i'm wrong... I am done.

soooooooooooooooooooooooo:

vegaskurt - looks like the D2 dynograph on page1 could be a general take for K-Sport coilovers! problem solved :D
Old 08-23-2005, 08:07 AM
Suspetise...

Default Re: (Type V)

I know for the D2s there aren't "clicks" for adjustment, so the 32-way or 36-way or whatever doesn't really make a difference.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Figured I'd include ours up here for reference.
Here are the results for our Select P1's (8kF/6kR):

Rear

Front

Here is a set of Select P3's (12kF/10kR):

Rear

Front
Old 09-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Noob4life)

Has anyone seen a dyno sheet for Apex N1 spec 98's
Old 09-15-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Koni yellow

Hey guys and gals. I recently had my Koni's revalved at ProParts West to the latest SPSS3 vavling. They sent me these dyno graphs which are force vs. displacement and are quite different from the graphs on the first page which are force vs. velocity. Just thought I would add these to the mix and see what people had to say about them. Maybe Lee will a have a comment or two.

Front

Rear

Thanks for the space.
Erik
Old 09-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sscguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Isn't Progress a US company?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well what I mean was.....are people not buying progress suspension because they are not "JDM" You know what I mean with all this JDM hype and they don't even stack up as good as Euro "Koni" or am I wrong.

Yes and maybe the Magazines were using progress because of free advertisment deal with progress or what not but they should be dyno'd too. I just hope somebody has a set and send them in or the company steps up to the challenge.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Suspetise...

Ah, well, that very well could be, as most of the goobs buying these setups don't have any idea what they're doing. I'd also like to see them tested, though they might also just be expensive, which could also be why no one has them.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Future Texas Boy

I`ll test the Progress stuff if anybody has a set.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:29 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: (vtecvoodoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecvoodoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I`ll test the Progress stuff if anybody has a set.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would like to see that. It is kind of difficult to get any real details on them, although I've only looked at sites and haven't tried to contact anyone. I'm not sure what kind of available spring rates they have and other details like that. They supposedly have a design that makes them easy to revalve. I'm not sure how accurate that is in practical application though.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecvoodoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I`ll test the Progress stuff if anybody has a set.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Finally I'm heard.......lol
Old 09-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Suspetise...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecvoodoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if anybody has a set.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Wrong-Way Wang

Default TC kit

Revalved Koni Yellow kit that I got for my ITR a few years ago.

Not sure which valving they used. Lee?

Warren
Old 10-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TC kit (Warren)

bump
Old 11-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Shock Dynos (Mike C)

i overlapped this graph with the below two graphs after converting all the units to N/ cm/s

the graphs don't match up...there seems to be an error in the labeling...or an error somewhere else...which might confuse some people because it sure as hell is confusing me

on chart A (first chart), the rebound damping of the rears are much higher than the rebound damping of the front at full soft....however, comparing charts B and C, the rebound damping rate at full stiff for the fronts is MUCH higher than that of the rear at full stiff

the damping curve for the rears at full soft from chart A and Chart C don't match up

the rebound damping of the rears from chart A (supposedly at full soft) have a higher high speed rebound damping from the rears at full stiff from chart C (last chart...shows rear spss valving)

i'm not sure why there's a huge discrepency between the graphs - i understand that the curves won't be exactly the same as you can't be 100% consistent...but these are huge differences - so i was hoping those who posted them up can double check the labels

i'll try scanning my overlapped chart plots if it helps....btw these are all spss koni yellow charts

Quick Reply: [FAQ] Shock Dynos