Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

The whole scene turned ghetto

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The whole scene turned ghetto

I know I'm not the only one to notice this. Especially in LA. It seems as though the whole tuning scene turned ghetto. I mean super ghetto. What happened? This whole scene makes me sick now. 80% of hondas i see now look like they came straight out of a junkyard. Slammed with ghetto wide ugly *** wheels. Slow as hell. Broken parts everywhere. China made. Corrido music bumpin out of the trunk. Just awful. Hondas used to have a certain respectability, now it's mostly trash can cars with garbage *** owners. Years ago, I thought that I would see major progress by now but instead everything is backwards. And I blame backward *** people who get into this game because all they knew growing up was fast and furious. BTW **** fast and furious. I get a good laugh from the movie but now its gone too far. Seriously, people these days have done a fine job messing things up. I love this whole game and it makes me bitter to see the direction its going. I remember when import cars were the only thing we had to latch on to. We had to prove to everyone in the motorsports community that we deserved respect. Now it's all gone. Gone retarded.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The whole scene turned ghetto

we keepin it trill
Old 03-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most dudes grew up, got better jobs and stopped diicking around with 20y/o hand me downs or beaters.

The few hardcore enthusiasts are still building cool projects.

The ghetto guys you refer to are all broke foolios, the eBay tuners and street racers.

FWIW, I'm building a eh sedan with a notec turbo setup. Ghetto fabulous.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:05 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

In fairness, this isn't just isolated to Southern California. We get this kind of sub-standard effort on Honda's, up here in the Norther Midwest as well. And, sadly, a LOT of it is fad-jumping and poorly executed. I've seen quite a few clean chassis have their lives considerably shortened by poor fabrication efforts.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
In fairness, this isn't just isolated to Southern California. We get this kind of sub-standard effort on Honda's, up here in the Norther Midwest as well. And, sadly, a LOT of it is fad-jumping and poorly executed. I've seen quite a few clean chassis have their lives considerably shortened by poor fabrication efforts.
I get a kick out of these cars with 9" wide wheels rolling on 165s. That and aftermarket LCAs and subframe braces and NO sway bar.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know what you mean! Most people did switch to either nissans or anything else. Hondas in the valley and la got beat the **** up for the most part so people switched to higher end cars like infinitis and vws. sucks but that's what it is in hollywood. most of the fixed up hondas are garaged though, they'll be out for the summer.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its every where. I feel most of us have just grown up and gotten over the scene. I dont like to drive mine any place other than to and from race tracks. I very rarely ever go out for a drive anymore.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know exactly what you're saying OP and I agree with the other guys too. Most of the guys who were into imports are now older and drive newer cars to daily. Let's face it a civic hatch isn't a nice daily.

In California its impossible to drive a well built Honda with swap and not get pulled over or get your car stolen. It's nice to take out the old kswap hatch every once in a while to get that good feeling and hit up the strip every so often.........that's the reality
Old 04-05-2014, 06:46 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 92HatchHybrid
Its every where. I feel most of us have just grown up and gotten over the scene. I dont like to drive mine any place other than to and from race tracks. I very rarely ever go out for a drive anymore.
I find it sad that its come to that.

I enjoy driving my Civic a lot, and even though its more designed for track use... I still love taking it on the weekend cruise, just to get out and enjoy it.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Half the time I'm almost embarrassed to own a Honda. I've stopped going to meets entirely, I spend my time still wrenching on my car, but a lot more time at the shooting range versus hanging out with other Honda guys, especially with how high the theft rate is (especially here in Southern California)
Old 04-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej6fade
Half the time I'm almost embarrassed to own a Honda. I've stopped going to meets entirely, I spend my time still wrenching on my car, but a lot more time at the shooting range versus hanging out with other Honda guys, especially with how high the theft rate is (especially here in Southern California)
This. I'm older and not into the dumb street racer thugs scene. I've already had my hatch stolen, and it was basically stock. Last thing I need is to parade my POS sedan so some diickhead who would rather steal than work for his mods can rip it off.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My white hatch got stolen last year, thats why I gettho now with the black one, love the civic thats why I bought one again. Getting older and family, cannot afford built another one.
Attached Images   
Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 AM
I really don't know

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rarely see any nice Hondas. However, I did see a real EG6 yesterday. I walked out of a sandwich shop and thought, wow this EG looks pretty good and early 2000ish mod wise. Then, I noticed it was RHD.

Other than that, I rarely see anything nice. Then again, I don't see Hondas too often. People probably afraid of them getting stolen.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 AM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still building a nice one, look a the three geez site and the three geez facebook page, we have a lot of really nice clean builds, lots of guys still building early Hondas
Old 04-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i drive a p.o.s. 94 civic coupe. yes im emabarassed every now and then to pull up somewhere. no carpet, no backseat, black front end, you would think a 16 year old would jump out of this thing lol. it is also my daily. yes the "scene" as you call it is the same as it was 10 years ago, young kids getting started making shitty mods... just now the fad is this stance crap that is being overdone with fwd hondas atleast... but yea i hear you
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2014, 01:41 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The WHOLE scene.........Probably not.
Out here in the midwest the "scene' doesn't seem destroyed by those You consider nonlegit or broke ***.
Yeah, I get a laugh every once in a while out of a car with WAYYY too much body kit etc. The other day a Mitsubishi Eclipse passed me with a metal wing attached to their factory spoiler.

Not at all interested in "hanging" with the scene. Every one that is close to me or my shop gets a full interegation. That first conversation everybody is all boast, brag, my 10 sec ride last year. I lear alot because I trust very few. Ones that put up all kinds of red flags get pushed off (they mostly don't know it's happening) and is a survival instinct i still use today.

Still though, alot of great cars are out there being driven daily and not killing the scene. The scene has always been the same from gen to gen; air shocks, fuzzy dice, fake cages, poorly built etc.. Now it just seems obscene to make soo many useless mods that render the cars impotent.
Whatever it's worth, your rides can ballance out the crap out there since You understand what the scene is supposed to be right?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been modding Honda civics since 1992. One at a time, I'm on civic #5 now.

For me it's always been about the car, not the scene so much.

I'm an old fart now so I'm happy with just a low stance, factory wheels and exhaust.

Ignore the ghetto kids for now, OP. Just take what you like about your car and make it yours.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:52 PM
longest project ever

if you want some hope, look up some of the three geez meets, they have a lot in different parts of cali, lots of real Hondas and the entire group tends to stay from ricer mods, I think it's the same with most of the older Hondas
Old 04-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The scene didn't turn ghetto it turned Chinese lol. Out here on the East Coast i'm part of a group on FB called the "Honda Game PA NY NJ". You should see these cars that are being sold it's ridiculous. I don't think i've seen a single "real" wheel EVER posted up on that page. Add to the fact that these cars are getting old so there are very few that are willing to put up 1,800 dollars for used Volks, build motors, or even spend an extra 3-400 dollars to put proper coilovers on a car that most likely needs. Most have moved on to newer and better vehicles which is the smart thing to do rather than keep pouring their paychecks into a money pit. (Which is what i should be doing now that i'll be 30 soon and still rocking an EK with no a/c or p/s) What our scene is left with for the most part are high mileage Civic's and Integra's that have been beaten on over the past however many years and covered in replica parts. On the bright side you have good ol' U.S.A. shops that are still innovating and going faster and faster...and not just the drag strip.

I'll end it with this. If you have quarter panel rust on your Integra with polished 2600 dollar CCW's you need your head evaluated. Honda Day pretty much summed up minus the drag racing.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:58 PM
RESIDENT

Originally Posted by rubenzzz
Most dudes grew up, got better jobs and stopped diicking around with 20y/o hand me downs or beaters.

The few hardcore enthusiasts are still building cool projects.

The ghetto guys you refer to are all broke foolios, the eBay tuners and street racers.

FWIW, I'm building a eh sedan with a notec turbo setup. Ghetto fabulous.

This is 100% true. People are still putting out good clean cars, but the builds are taking longer since they are our toys now.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but..but..i like fast and furious....

on the side note. people think fake is ok now and days. idk. maybe its just me. but like the i keep it trillll.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 PM
longest project ever

I still like building motors and steel wheels
Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lambo123
The scene didn't turn ghetto it turned Chinese lol.
WTF is that suppose to mean?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PilotOnDubs
WTF is that suppose to mean?
He means bootleg parts, wheels, etc.

I don't necessarily knock on quality replicas, but when guys post about their real "xxr" wheels or "greddy-like type rs-style" BOV"... I just shake my head.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:36 AM
no one wants to hear the truth

So its not just the east coast...whew! What a relief.

Quick Reply: The whole scene turned ghetto