Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

Referee Inpection Required for vehicle citation.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Referee Inpection Required for vehicle citation.

i just got cited for VC.27150(a) (Loud Exhaust) and VC.27156(b) (smog device). as for the loud exhaust, i know the cop was just ******* with me cuz i was in a honda... i watched him split traffic (motor cop) for about 15 cars back and he pulled right behind me really close just so he could get a good listen at my exhaust, and this was at rush hour with traffic stopped at a red light...wtf? I have my stock muffler but i dont think i need to put it on because my exhast isnt really that loud in the first place, i believe it is under the 80dba limit. by searching online i read that 80dba is equal to a loud factory, and 90dba is equal to niagara falls. but the smog device thing he wrote me up for was because of my breather tube that goes to my intake. i explained to him i installed it per jackson racings instructions by drilling the hole in the airbox and threading a 1/2" npt fitting into it and connecting the hose, but he said "NO, thats illegal"

my main question is do you have to pay for anything at the referee station? or is it state funded if you are required to get inspected? and did you still have to pay the $10 clearance fee for the supposed "fix-it ticket".

im just worried that i have to fight to not have to pay for the ref inspection, so i want to get all information ahead of time before i go in. oh and i forgot to mention that if you didn't notice... i have a jackson racing super charger on the car, but i have my carb sticker posted.... basically my car is 100% legal, the cop just didn't know what he was talking about. thanks for any help guys. sorry for long post :D
Old 11-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your seeing the ref, then they'll do a full inspection on your car. From a complete smog to a visual inspection. If i remember correctly i payed $35-$45 for my inspection.

so you have a jrsc?? what exhaust are you running? are you running aftermarket headers?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i contacted the ref... its gonna be $38.50 but they didn't know if i could get it reimbursed from the courts or not

yea my jrsc is running at 10psi max. 2.5" custom exhaust into a flowmaster. airmass headers with carb sticker
Old 11-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (QuickStyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by QuickStyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i contacted the ref... its gonna be $38.50 but they didn't know if i could get it reimbursed from the courts or not

yea my jrsc is running at 10psi max. 2.5" custom exhaust into a flowmaster. airmass headers with carb sticker</TD></TR></TABLE>

what motor are you running? i'm going to find it hard to pass smog, even though the jrsc is carb legal, there are many other factors that comes to play. you should post this in the turbo/sc form...be prepared when you go to the ref, they really give you no sympathy at all. Also if you dont past they usually dont tell you whats wrong.

As for getting the fee back, you wont get a cent bro.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

Im running a D16

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

As for getting the fee back, you wont get a cent bro. </TD></TR></TABLE>

do you know this from experience?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the ticket if the correctable violation box is checked off. One time I got this ticket and the cop did not check off that box and I had to pay like $400.00 they didnt care if it was corrected they just wanted the money. Luckily I didny get reffed. Also for sure you dont get reimbursed its part of the punishment. I also have a JRSC with the JRSC intake and pointed out to the cop the CARB sticker and he told me that it didnt mean ****. I'm running the 5.5 lb pulley on a B18C5 Spoon Header 2.5" Greedy piping and the stock Type-r Muffer with no cat. For sure my car wont pass smog.

Modified by XANTHODC2R at 5:27 AM 11/27/2007
Old 11-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea both boxes are checked correctable. im gonna wait for my courtesy notice, and see if that says i have to go to the ref or not. if not i will find an officer who is competent enough to realize that im 100% legal and sign it off, maybe from now on i should carry along with me the full instruction sheet from jackson that shows how to install it. i will post back here once i get some more info so people will have the information out there for search purposes.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im going monday for my ticket. got amodified smog device. not fixable. but i sold the car... hopefully all goes well
Old 11-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i had the same situation happen to me effin PIGS i had a state REF. tix too i had to put the stock muffler back on, also make sure if u got any mod parts to have crab stickers on it and if u dont have them. Then u to put back to stock (they check under your hood too). The state ref is goin to smog it and sound test ur car Oh Yeah you goin to mayb pay like 50 buck for all this. I know thats but someone gots to pay.. sorry to hear that good luck!!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Referee Inpection Required for vehicle citation. (QuickStyle)

damm that sucks for u homie..the same **** happend to me..but i never went to the smog referee..i just went to court and paid like a 300 dollar fine..they never asked me for any certificate or proof of corections...that was like my 4th exhaust ticket but that was my first time they send me to the smog referee..
Old 12-01-2007, 12:18 PM

just be careful because after the first (if you dont pass and you have to pay the fine) it doubles and doubles everytime after. i know a guy on nico whose fines are up to 2 grand so ya good luck passing man.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: (1klr240)

I had a state ref ticket for itr headers, i just paid the fine and they left me alone. I believe it was around 450 bucks...
Old 12-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Referee Inpection Required for vehicle citation. (QuickStyle)

hm.. i know when i got my muffler ticket 3 of them, i jsut took it to the state ref and since my last ref ticket (June 07) it was free and so were my other inspection and all you have to pay is 10 bucks for the muffler ticket I dont think they double the fine if u fail bc i failed b4 and the fine didnt increase, unless the law changed. And as far as your smog device well state ref is going to look at everything i mean everything. i got an illegal smog device ticket for a generic intake and i put the stock air box back in and took it there. he said i fail emissions, ignition timing, one of my hoses was not a legal one, and i was missing the evap canister. After i got everything fixed my ticket was suppose to be 360 but when i showed the judge i fixed everything the fine was cut in half. SO i suggest you put everything back to stock i mean everything cuz they are very picky. Speaking of i have to go to state ref my 5th visit in febuaray cuz damn cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for no front plate, suspension, speeding 40 in a 30 coasting downhill, and a ******* b16 swap. my fine for all this is 550.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wait you are saying that your fine was cut in half? why was it not dismissed if you fixed everything.

i have nothing to fix on my engine, it is 100% stock + all my carb legal stuff. but i cannot say what the sniffer is going to say about it tho, it should pass the sniff test, i dont see any reason it shouldn't.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i duno what they charged me for but the cop that wrote me up told me it was ging ot be a mandatory 360, and the judge cut the fine to 180 and i just paid it cuz its alot chepaer then 360. and i hope u pass if not hell tell u want u need to do to pass.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 PM

I got ref ticket and i never took it in so i just paid for the fine which was $526. My ticket was for modified emissions (intake) and exhaust citation.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why dont all you guys with b16 swaps just go and get it bar certified. that 300-600 dollars you are goin to spend on repair can just go to making it legal to have a b series motor.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (viciousef9)

Not necessarily. I have my B18C1 bar certified and the cop that pulled me over told me he didn't care whether I was certified or not. He was just being a super dick cop. I took my car to the ref and did the same thing he did last time. It past with flying colors. I only paid $30 bucks when I went to court. The cop that gave me the tickets gave me a warning though. He said I got off easy. He said he is going to pull me over anytime he see's me. That he doesn't care what I'm driving. I put a complaint in at the station. Even the sarge was laughing at me. They just don't care.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (outlawracer1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by outlawracer1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not necessarily. I have my B18C1 bar certified and the cop that pulled me over told me he didn't care whether I was certified or not. He was just being a super dick cop. I took my car to the ref and did the same thing he did last time. It past with flying colors. I only paid $30 bucks when I went to court. The cop that gave me the tickets gave me a warning though. He said I got off easy. He said he is going to pull me over anytime he see's me. That he doesn't care what I'm driving. I put a complaint in at the station. Even the sarge was laughing at me. They just don't care. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah some are ********, but yeah there a bunch of pussies with out a gun or badge they aint ****, althoug u do get your cool cops here and there but the swines are the ones u have to watch out for.
but its like 10 for inspection at the sheriff station in santa fe springs
and it was free inspection at the rio hondo ref. station