Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Southern California (https://honda-tech.com/forums/southern-california-87/)
-   -   ref question? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/southern-california-87/ref-question-3188835/)

crewcial_ej1 01-12-2014 10:54 PM

ref question?

i've been doing some research for the past couple of weeks. Im trying to see what i need to B.A.R my b18c into my 95 honda civic. Im going to do an oem rebuild in a couple of weeks. Want to get it running cherry. i know i need the usdm parts from the b18c5 like headers, ecu, stock airbox and cat. is there anything else i need in order to pass, anyone get ref'd recently?

thank you in advance

doctorake 01-13-2014 03:18 AM

Re: ref question?

Call the station that will do it, I thought JDM blocks would not pass though.

tjdmcoupe 01-18-2014 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by crewcial_ej1 (Post 49436041)
i've been doing some research for the past couple of weeks. Im trying to see what i need to B.A.R my b18c into my 95 honda civic. Im going to do an oem rebuild in a couple of weeks. Want to get it running cherry. i know i need the usdm parts from the b18c5 like headers, ecu, stock airbox and cat. is there anything else i need in order to pass, anyone get ref'd recently?

thank you in advance

Technically you don't need usdm type r parts. B18c (Jdm block) can be a replacement for usdm GSR or usdm type R.

When going to BAR you will need your swap to be exactly as it would be in the original car(usdm) . All emission controls working, timing correct, Ca legal cat converter.

Your swap must be same year or newer than the vehicle it is going in. So your ecu will need to be from 1995 since that was the last obd1 gsr ecu made.

To BAR your car as a b18c5 you will need to go obd2
Much easier to BAR it as a GSR replacement block
"B18c1 using B18c block"

You can run a Jdm type r block since it still runs the b18c engine code but BAR it as a usdm GSR.

And yes you will need to add the knock sensor to your wiring and the sensor for the butterfly's in the gsr intake manifold.

Bar is very strict with emissions, you can use an aftermarket cat as long as it works for the engine your BARing for, and must be ca legal ex: Magnaflow
Be sure everything is obd1...injectors, dizzy, ecu, headers, intake manifold, and oem intake box.

I posted a new thread on how to BAR a b16 as obd1 in 1992-1995 civic. Maybe it can help you as well a far as parts needed.

tjdmcoupe 01-18-2014 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by doctorake (Post 49436156)
Call the station that will do it, I thought JDM blocks would not pass though.

You can't bar Jdm swaps but you can bar Jdm blocks as a replacement block for a usdm engine. Examples......

B16a bar as b16a2 or b16a3 replacement block
B18c bar as b18c1 or b18c5 replacement block

In fact, recently they have been Running (BAR) B20 blocks as a replacement for the b18b1 ex: B18b1 using b20 block or b20 using all b18b1 emissions controls.

crewcial_ej1 01-27-2014 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by tjdmcoupe (Post 49450099)
Technically you don't need usdm type r parts. B18c (Jdm block) can be a replacement for usdm GSR or usdm type R.

When going to BAR you will need your swap to be exactly as it would be in the original car(usdm) . All emission controls working, timing correct, Ca legal cat converter.

Your swap must be same year or newer than the vehicle it is going in. So your ecu will need to be from 1995 since that was the last obd1 gsr ecu made.

To BAR your car as a b18c5 you will need to go obd2
Much easier to BAR it as a GSR replacement block
"B18c1 using B18c block"

You can run a Jdm type r block since it still runs the b18c engine code but BAR it as a usdm GSR.

And yes you will need to add the knock sensor to your wiring and the sensor for the butterfly's in the gsr intake manifold.

Bar is very strict with emissions, you can use an aftermarket cat as long as it works for the engine your BARing for, and must be ca legal ex: Magnaflow
Be sure everything is obd1...injectors, dizzy, ecu, headers, intake manifold, and oem intake box.

I posted a new thread on how to BAR a b16 as obd1 in 1992-1995 civic. Maybe it can help you as well a far as parts needed.

ooooooooohhhhhhhhh ok thanx :), i was trying to find someone here in town that got his jdm R BAR'd but couldnt find him. i did go to the ref station and he just said as along as the emissions passed, and used usdm ecu and so on i'd be ok. But you stated on passing it as a gsr. I would have to change my intake manifold from the type R to the gsr one? then wire everything up?

thanx for the response though

92eghb 05-22-2014 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by tjdmcoupe (Post 49450103)
You can't bar Jdm swaps but you can bar Jdm blocks as a replacement block for a usdm engine. Examples......

This is not true. I have a 96 civic ex that has a bar'd jdm gsr b18c. I used a ls stock header, skunk 2 intake manifold with carb decal, stock ex air box with modified ls intake tube (looks very stock) I used the ex wiring harness and knock sensor and usdm obd2 p72 ecu. I had a ca legal magnaflow cat (446034 EO# D-193-94) installed and used stock ex exhaust from there back. The hardest part of bar'ing a jdm block is they don't have ckf like all usdm obd2 cars. I used the ckf bypass wiring trick (search if you're unclear on this) and got lucky. I would not recommend this though because if they catch it the state ref will fail you. It took me 4 tries to finley pass but that's not really a big deal because if you fail the appointments are free and when you finely do pass it's $8and change. The biggest thing is keep everything as stock as possible and any aftermarket parts must have carb decals. If you have any questions pm me and I'd be happy to help.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...pszroiubth.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...psqxrh28ce.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...pshl0rpuzw.jpg

Speed Box 06-07-2014 06:53 AM

Hello,

All very good answer points!

It's simple: There is a BAR Cert Station in Golden West College, 15744 Goldenwest St, Huntington Beach, CA 92647. Park next to Horticulture department. In the closed-off parking spot they have a CVCC Green Pea w/automatic transmission.

Talk to them, they have a flyer with all the info. On the cover is a FairladyZ with a male figure doing an engine w/ transmission attached drop, from the top, inside the engine bay, no hood.

Originally got that BAR Cert. spot from WICKED in Garden Grove, off Westminster St. it's next to H-AUTO on West St.

H-Auto/West St. there is Vu and Alen to help out if you need OEM parts.

Thank you and have a great day!

PS: There is also Dynamic Autosport in Lake Forrest, CA. (Not for Bar Certs, just for kicks, next to the Etnies Skate Park, same city Lake Forrest.)

PSS: King Motorsports is the place, they have cool pictures!