Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

Question on California Emissions and Inspection Laws

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:43 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question on California Emissions and Inspection Laws

One of my friends and I are talking about taking a road trip to Los Angeles and eventually making our way to my buddy's place in Seal Beach, CA. We had planned to take my Integra on this trip since it gets a lot better gas mileage than his SUV. My question is, I have a turbo GSR with no cat and nothing on my car would pass either inspection or emissions testing. I live in ND and we dont have that crap. If i were to get picked up, would i be cited or fined for having my car the way it is?? I dont live in state so i dont think i'd have to abide by those inspection/emissions rules, but i want to know for sure before i drive to LA and get my Teggy impounded. Thanks guys
Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question on California Emissions and Inspection Laws (Schister66)

All in all u should be fine. In most cases (not in all) u really gotta be at the wrong place at the wrong time or out causing trouble to be harassed.

With that being said u will be noticed by about every cop just because u have Honda/Acura and they will be looking for u to do something stupid.

The real question is why would u want to subject your car to that sort of useless mileage? I understand having your car around everyone else’s (i.e. Cali Scene) but that’s where the trouble will be. U just have to make sure your adult enough (no; reving, burning out; blowing off; and racing) not to land on anyone’s radar.

Take a look at all the local meets rules. They all have had/have problems with others that get the cops involved.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Man U FTW

I dont plan on being immature while i'm in California...if i go. It was a spur-of-the-moment idea the other day. We just haven't seen one of our friends (who lives in Cali) for a long time and thought that spring break would be the perfect time to road trip there. I just wanted to be sure i'd leave with my car at the end of the week....
Old 01-31-2008, 01:01 PM

Default Re: (Schister66)

Sorry if it came off mean. I only wanted state the behavior (most people here are not involved in but suffer the consquences of) that get people in trouble.

It seems like you'd know the difference since your already thinking ahead.

On a different note your really ok because your drivers lic. and tag will be the same. If pulled over they really can't sweat you. Inorder to get around smog people reg. in different states but don't have a drivers lic. from that state so its a dead give away.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Man U FTW

^^That's what i was thinking, but since i hadn't ever heard for sure, i wanted to ask. Thanks for the help
Old 01-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should be fine for a brief visit. BUT... You'll need to carry proof of current registration in ND. Your car is still subject to NHTSA standards... and I think cats are a Federal standard on all cars.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Man U FTW

Yeah, i think having a cat is one of those 50 state laws, but around here, there's no way to check other than visually. My car is low and the flex pipe on my DP looks like a cat
Old 01-31-2008, 05:22 PM

area to avoid between 8 a.m to 4 p.m. when your in s.cal. san fernando valley, san gabriel valley, inland empire, riverside, and some area around orance county i.e. westminster. chp does periodic smog on the street but mostly on main street/s. dont worry about getting pulled over. you'll look just like any other acura/honda in here but (maybe) ricier...
you should be more concern about getting pulled over for dui than with your turbo car.
fyi..
you might get tempted but dont bother racing...or you will walk home.