Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

Question about smog tickets...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about smog tickets...

I've been lucky enough to not get sent to the state referee yet, living in SoCal and all, but it wouldn't that big of a deal anyway as I only have an exhaust on my car.

I was wondering, from fellow boosted (and non-boosted) members living in SoCal, are there any huge fees/tickets that go along with being sent to the state referee? I'm just wondering if it was anything like this: you get ticketed + sent to referee, return everything to stock, go get smogged @ the referee station, you pay any fees/whatever(?), then you're good?

I'm hoping you just have to return your car to stock, take it to the referee, and maybe pay a small (<$100) fine/fee. But obviously, CA is hurting for money at the moment and I assume there's some outrageous fine that goes along with having a illegally modified motor.

Thanks for any help/advise/insight!
Old 01-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question about smog tickets...

i heard they take a pic of your bay so you cant change back to stock, but dont know if its true
Old 01-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's most of my tickets that I just paid off, some State Ref. and not; if you don't want to change your car back to stock. Most of the tickets I got pulled over are in So. Cal.

^^^$436

Old 01-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe explain little more?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JNocon
Here's most of my tickets that I just paid off, some State Ref. and not; if you don't want to change your car back to stock. Most of the tickets I got pulled over are in So. Cal.

^^^$436
So the time you had to go to the state referee, you had to pay a $436 fine in addition to returning your car to stock? Or did you just pay off the fine and not worry about returning your car to stock?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by .mattyz_
So the time you had to go to the state referee, you had to pay a $436 fine in addition to returning your car to stock? Or did you just pay off the fine and not worry about returning your car to stock?

Thanks for the reply!
Ya, it all depends, when they send me a letter on one of the State Ref. ticket, I had to put EVERYTHING back to stock. And most of them, I just paid off, like the $436.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New to California and was wondering about this whole BAR thing. I really dont get it but does it basically mean you cant have a modified engine? or you can have a modified engine but you have to be able to pass smog?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lakai61390
New to California and was wondering about this whole BAR thing. I really dont get it but does it basically mean you cant have a modified engine? or you can have a modified engine but you have to be able to pass smog?
Being able to pass smog and passing the BAR requirements are two different things. You could have a boosted K20 under the hood with an open downpipe and possibly pass smog, but you're not going to pass BAR. Basically, all of your modifications have to be CARB legal (this is for a DC, but you get the idea: link) or you won't be able to get your car BAR'd. Oh, and if you have a motor swap, it has to be the same year or newer than your chassis and you have to have all the correct smog parts hooked up.

Originally Posted by JNocon
Ya, it all depends, when they send me a letter on one of the State Ref. ticket, I had to put EVERYTHING back to stock. And most of them, I just paid off, like the $436.
Ah, I see.. so you get to choose between the two, essentially? That's good to know.. I wouldn't mind swapping out a turbo manifold + ECU every now and then as long as I don't have to pay any outrageous fees/fines in addition to returning it to stock.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Stage 3 CLINGER!

I got pulled over for mod exhaust by the Street Racing Sheriff District thingy.
And believe me they knew there ****.
They took pictures of both my engine bay and my exhaust.
Got sent to referee and he basically told me to make it stock. lol
I have a D15B, which the Sheriff knew was jdm, so i had to make it a d15z1 or d15b7, my choice.
Once he wrote it off, i switched it back to d15b, lol
It cost $50 for the fix it ticket in court processing fee's, $8.50 for the referee visit, and $250 to switch all my **** back to stock.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by singlecamslamed
I got pulled over for mod exhaust by the Street Racing Sheriff District thingy.
And believe me they knew there ****.
They took pictures of both my engine bay and my exhaust.
Got sent to referee and he basically told me to make it stock. lol
I have a D15B, which the Sheriff knew was jdm, so i had to make it a d15z1 or d15b7, my choice.
Once he wrote it off, i switched it back to d15b, lol
It cost $50 for the fix it ticket in court processing fee's, $8.50 for the referee visit, and $250 to switch all my **** back to stock.
So basically, you payed around $60 just for the whole ticket + referee visit to be cleared and done with (ignoring the amount you paid for your motor, which I assume was the $250)?

Thanks for the insight! And it's kinda good / kinda bad to know the cops now know what the hell they're looking at when they pop our hoods
Old 01-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Stage 3 CLINGER!

Yeah cause i had to purchase new intake, ecu, and replace mod exhaust with stock one.
Also, normal sheriff's dont know what there looking at. lol
Highway Patrol and the Street Racing District only know what there talking about. Everyday Sheriff will usually just give you a ticket and make you pay it, no referee sticker, which blows.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by .mattyz_
Being able to pass smog and passing the BAR requirements are two different things. You could have a boosted K20 under the hood with an open downpipe and possibly pass smog, but you're not going to pass BAR. Basically, all of your modifications have to be CARB legal (this is for a DC, but you get the idea: link) or you won't be able to get your car BAR'd. Oh, and if you have a motor swap, it has to be the same year or newer than your chassis and you have to have all the correct smog parts hooked up.
Alright Thanks for the Info...I loved how Florida didn't have any of these rules and stuff lol