Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

Out of state plates???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Out of state plates???

Wondering how much the police monitor out of state plates. I'd also like to know how bad fines & such could be for keeping updated out of state plates & getting caught.

Thinking about moving to Cali and there is no way my car will ever pass smog, it's just so hard for me to get rid of my custom paint, LS/Vtec, turbo ready 89 civic hatch. Besides my project isn't finished yet.

Does anybody do this? Help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Out of state plates??? (Creator)

Asked one of those jerk off "can't wait here to pick up your buddy longer than 30 seconds" cops. He was clueless as to the fine amounts. My uncle in San Diego said with a tuner car I would probably not last long with out of state plates.

still no help?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Out of state plates??? (Creator)

well bro if your car looks raced out, no doubt your gonna draw alot of attention. CHP is the ones to be worried about. Most city cops "unless traffic dedicated" look for more serious thing to pull someone over for. Most of the time the non traffic cops will run your plate and make a decision to pull you over based on dispatches finding. "many ride alongs". Traffic and chp dont care, if you like like it, you'll get it. Though about going NA long enough to get it smogged and barred? we only have to smog every 2 years anyhow. As far as the plates ... i am pretty sure you have a year to update your registration to cali, after that your fair pickings. I know in my city our cops get harassed by the other for stopping out of staters. lol
but wither way your taking a chance.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Out of state plates??? (Blzdeep)

In my area in So Cal, I see this Volvo with its Long Yellow Euro plate driving around, its been on their for months, of course the back plate is a Calif. one. If did the same thing by putting on a Japanese plate, I'd get picked off really quick. Its probably equal to having no plate at all.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Out of state plates??? (DA9_DAD)

my 1st da had oregon plates that i wanted to keep because of lighter smog restrictions and cheaper registration fees. i believe if you have a drivers lisence from the state your car is registered in then you cant really get in trouble for it, just say you travel and that is the state you reside in. i was gonna ditch my CA lisence as well and register for an oregon one but im here in cali more than in oregon so that wouldnt have been to convinient. hope you find what your looking for man
Old 04-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Out of state plates??? (dmpd_ef)

Thanks for the help guys. Seems like it's not something many people do & get away with. I'll just have to get a place with a garage & wait till I get some connections to bring it out.
Something else I noticed, a lot of cars running around with no plates at all. At first I thought maybe it was just dealer transfer crap, but then I saw an 89 toyota pick up with no plates. Whats the story with that?