Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Southern California (https://honda-tech.com/forums/southern-california-87/)
-   -   New to California Emissions, Bar, Smog (https://honda-tech.com/forums/southern-california-87/new-california-emissions-bar-smog-3232119/)

everythingwentblack 12-09-2014 11:33 AM

New to California Emissions, Bar, Smog

Yes I have searched but among stickys in FAQ's I found broken links and info that explained a small part. Perhaps if this thread becomes full-proof it will be replace the current FAQ.

I am from NJ where if you know someone for an inspection sticker you're fine without a cat and open dump tubes. Im moving to the LA area, looking for a house in the valley with a garage. I dont intend to DD This.

Can I get a full proof definition of Bar? With older cars you smog once a year correct? What loopholes exist for me and what I have to make it possible to drive down the street on a weekend warrior basis? I know I will get a bunch of your screwed responses, but what do you guys do to buy time/ what can I get away with. How long could I keep my jersey tags for.

I currently have a fully build d16z6 in a 91 CRX si. I have an open WG dump and 3" catless, resonatorless, turbo back exhaust. Nothing has CARB stickers on it. As far as I know ill be ok with a z6 in a crx and knowing about BAR wont be necessary.

My engine bay isnt immaculate, but aside from a few pieces doesnt look too far from stock.

What about historic tags or anything like that?

Any help, even links to threads I have missed.

everythingwentblack 12-09-2014 11:40 AM

Re: New to California Emissions, Bar, Smog

2 Attachment(s)
Just to see what I'm working with. Pictures a little outdated but you get the idea. Nothing too blingy

24TEN 12-09-2014 11:44 AM

Your loop hole is to keep it registered with a friend out of state or put it under non operational status. That'll never pass the referee here. If it's smog related and modified they don't allow the part unless it has CARB exemption. General rule of thumb for swaps is same year as chassis or newer and with smog components meant for that engine. JDM engines are hit/miss and best left to work directly with the referee for legality.

The other option is to ride like that anyway until you get caught up. Hopefully by then you find a connection to pass smog.

everythingwentblack 12-09-2014 11:48 AM

whats non operational status? So in jersey, if you know someone they will run the tests on any random car but put all your info into the system/on the sticker. That way when cops scan the inspection sticker it will actually kick back as legit.

What your saying is that in cali you can find a similair hookup ?

and what is a referee

24TEN 12-09-2014 11:58 AM

Referee/Referee station is the person/place you take to verify an engine swap (I mention this because at a quick glance that's not the original head for that car bare minimum and neither is that intake manifold. Head swaps are not legal here BTW, engines are to be 100% intact). It seems most are at community colleges. And even though there are rules about swaps/mods some are more relaxed than others when it comes to what can be done and can't be done.

Non operational status is pretty much what it sounds like. Can't use it on public roads but say it was a track car that is towed to and from that might be a good route to take so that you don't have to undo anything on your car. The downside obviously is you can't drive it anywhere publicly.

There are "crooked" smog shops as well as less informed smog shops but I'm pretty sure anyone sees that turbo they will turn you away. Still, there are those that will take you in but finding THOSE places is difficult.

If you really want to play by the rules, strip that all out and get a back up engine to use for smog. I don't know if that's worth the hassle for your situation. You can also remove your mods and just roll into a smog station crossing fingers it passes as is.

everythingwentblack 12-09-2014 12:16 PM

The si came with a MPFI non vtec, this is a d16z6 vtec from a 92. So its the next gen up, and obd1 instead of obd0.

its the original z6 head, but it is a y8 manifold. So if I completely disassemble the turbo set up and it passes smog, then I can in theory put the turbo back on and be ok to drive publicly?

What happens if all my stickers are legit and I get pulled over and it has a gigantic turbo on it?

24TEN 12-09-2014 01:14 PM

You can get the Z6 certified in stock configuration at the referee without much hassle, questionable if the referee will notice that manifold though. As for putting the turbo stuff back on after the fact, that is entirely up to you. It's still illegal to do but people do it anyway. If you get caught, they just send you to the referee for inspection. Now if you get caught while "racing" that is another story altogether so don't do that LOL.

everythingwentblack 12-09-2014 01:22 PM

This is all mind boggling. So its illegal to do anything to your car basically, haha. When I was just out there I saw so many hondas, jesus. Maybe Ill just keep it in NJ plates and drive it everynow and then

FOMULA91 12-09-2014 01:42 PM

Welcome to CA!!!

24TEN Pretty much provide you with the best answer.

People who enjoy turbo set up usually have a stock replacement engine to pass smog once every 2 years and switch it over to non-smogable set up. Of course if you get caught and receive a ref ticket, you'll be paying a big fine plus you'll be visiting the ref station again...

It's really up to you to take the risk.

24TEN 12-09-2014 02:01 PM

If the modification comes with a CARB EO# then it's ok to install and use on public roads as you please. Not many worthwhile parts have this though. Off the top of my head the old GReddy turbo kit was street legal for CA but I'm sure that's a complete downgrade compared to what you have already.

Originally Posted by everythingwentblack (Post 50100395)
keep it in NJ plates and drive it everynow and then

That might be the easiest thing to do honestly. You have an option by default that most of us don't have. Be warned though, I could be wrong but I believe there might be a stipulation somewhere that says if a vehicle is in the state AND being operated it must be registered after a certain period of time has passed. Hopefully someone might have some insight to this.

4drEF 12-09-2014 02:53 PM

^^ Shady trick is to get a Greddy CARB sticker and put it on the charge pipe.
Cops aren't stupid so if you get pulled over, be prepared to pop the hood especially with that intercooler showing through the bumper. If you get pulled over from something lame (not reckless speeding) aren't being a prick for the cop to deal with, and an underhood inspection looks nearly stock with carb stickers, then the cop might let you go without much hassle. For whatever reason, cops have been known to cite people with CARB stickers anyway leaving owners to go show proof that the parts are legit (not sure what all that entails to prove 100% legit - I thought CARB sticker was all it took, but ?!?!?).

Aftermarket front mount intercoolers are considered as an illegal modification if the car didn't have a front mount to begin with so it's an eye-catcher to a cop on the look-out for street racers. Paint it black if you intend to press your luck.

The open dump tube is an audible way of flagging a cop down and asking to be pulled over.

Don't get me wrong though - people do it all the time. Since there is law stating that exhaust should not be modified in such a manner to defeat or reduce emissions controls and should remain under a specified level of noise LOTS of people get ticketed for noisy exhaust. Typical cop says "is your exhaust modified" and uninformed citizen says "yes" . They get a $10 fix-it ticket to go to the highway patrol for a quick inspection. Fix/replace parts before going - done.

(You can modify exhaust to your hearts content if you stay within the sound and emissions rules - cops no care about the rules and corner you with the word 'modified'. What happens if your muffler rusts out and you replace with a factory part? Modified by cop definition -not lawbook definition- because it's not the part it rolled off the lot with.)

So - you COULD completely remove everything turbo off the engine and go for a BAR sticker. They can, and usually do, check that the ECU is stock ECU for a D16Z6. They will look for all the appropriate emissions equipment that came with a stock D16Z6. If you have a check engine light, you fail instantly. They may manually trigger a CEL to make sure you didn't disconnect or trick the CEL bulb.

Vacuum lines must be hooked up to the right places. Intake manifold must be the correct once. They have pictures to verify all this.

Then you get a full fledged cali-smog check. Cat converters need to be cali-spec. They have a CARB plate or stamp on them signifying they are cali CARB approved and not the 'federal EPA' type. Smog tech may poke around under the car to check.
Not sure what you did to your block, but if you changed compression much, it may kill your SMOG check sniffer/dyno test.

Registered as 'non-op' can not even be parked on city street. To tow it, you need a flatbed and not a 2 wheel dolly - all 4 wheels have to be off the ground.

OP: which valley? There are a few and some are worse for owning a modified car than others.
Personally, I would CARB the D16Z6 and turbo until annual smog check. Get a legit smog isn't that hard if the engine runs well. With the turbo on, you can get away with a gutted cat. For smog, take the turbo off and swap out for a good cat. Smog shops are being held to higher standards with the new 'STAR' system. If the DMV sends you to a STAR certified station, then you won't find a 'hook-up'. They techs work WAY too hard to maintain that 'star' and getting busted ruins their career.

v4lu3s 12-09-2014 06:05 PM

I suggest not moving there, too many fascists telling you what to do.

rallypoint_1 12-09-2014 07:56 PM

A lot of good replys!! Yup OP...stock, bar'd or hook-up. Worst state to have a modified car but I love California!!! Oh Ya...it's illegal to reside and not have the car registered. Somebody can enter your plate in CHP's website that you are residing in CA and using your out of state plate car.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters_2013.cgi

everythingwentblack 12-10-2014 08:06 AM

4drEF: Im looking in the San Fernando Valley. Is that better/worse/doesnt matter?

Originally Posted by rallypoint_1 (Post 50101151)
Somebody can enter your plate in CHP's website that you are residing in CA and using your out of state plate car.

California Highway Patrol - Assistant Commissioner, Field

Thats a broken link but googling CHP Cheaters got me a bunch of interesting info. Do people really call these in?

I found its mostly used for expired tags and overdue fees. My car would be/is properly registered with current inspection as well as proper tags so would this apply to me?

My car should be insured and should not be tarped at my house back east, but is anyway. I did a motorswap on the street and should have been reported but never was.

everythingwentblack 12-10-2014 08:11 AM

Found this info:

"Newcomers who own a vehicle registered in another state or country need to obtain a California registration within 20 days after establishing residency here. They do that by voting in an election, paying resident tuition at a state college, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption or getting a driver's license or, according to the Department of Motor Vehicles, "any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents."

So if I garage keep it and dont drive it often, I can just say I'm visiting. Right?

rallypoint_1 12-10-2014 09:13 AM

The link works. Not sure why you can't open it. Don't know how many people use it. Best not to be on the receiving end.