Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

Having an intake manifold is illegal in CA...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Ldo
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Having an intake manifold is illegal in CA...

... at least according to this FOX reporter in this video clip.

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/pages/la...725&feedID=553

No wonder fixed up Honda/Acura's are hated by the general public.

Sorry if this has been posted already. I just couldn't stop laughing listenning to that dude.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Having an intake manifold is illegal in CA...

operation crackdown lol
Old 04-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He said that the "intake manifold" brings in more air and exhaust! I dont know why or even how you would get any of your exhaust into ur intake manifold.

And i didnt know a VAFC transformed cars into "street racing mobile"s!

LOL, thanks for posting this, it was funny. PPL in SD need to start looking out cause theyre hunting for you!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what a ****en dumbass, i highly doubt a vafc and generic intake is a dangerous mod. it's funny how dumb **** police and news reporters try to inform the public on "street racing" or the "import scene" with out having any knowledge or solid fact.
it's funny how the reporter said the integra is most likely going to be destroy for street racing, but when the guy who stole my car got his car inpounded for street racing
they released the car back to the owner with out my motor of course and they only had it at the impound yard for less then a week
pretty wierd
Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welll thanks to this now it will spread through out cali,

The media will always try to scare the public into thinking bad about what ever they wish.

So becarefull an integra with an intake will kill you!

Sad how we really cant mod our cars for ****... I already had two fix it tickets and have decided to keep my DC5 stock with my eam v2 intake only... not as fun with headers and exhaust...
Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is what I e-mailed to Fox about this subject.

"You people are so clueless when it comes to Street Racing. I watched your attempt to look intelligent about the subject. Your Reporter clearly does not know a single thing about cars and everything he was pointing out on that yellow Integra Type R was completely wrong. I believe this just proves that the people in charge of this so call operation are also just as ignorant. You state in your article "car was side swiped by a Jaguar that went out of control during a street race" I have been to many legal racing events and a Jaguar is very far from what a street racer would choose to race and I have never seen one at a track. Here is an idea, How about using that $600,000 to build or host a legal event in a controlled environment to give these kids an alternative to the street. Over the past several years tracks have been shut down and the ones that are still open rarely have legal events. This whole operation is just another waste of Tax payers money. Street Racing will never die it's been around as long as cars themselves. Please educate your staff first before they go and make asses of themselves on television."

Everyone who watches this or reads this should also e-mail Fox. Here's where to go: http://www.fox5sandiego.com/pages/station_feedback

Last edited by wnos100shot; 04-11-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Crap like this just make's me want to b*tch slap that reporter. This is what I sent them.

I have to comment on your feature of "Operation Crackdown". I am a 37 year old Army Vet that has been serving this country for the last 17 years and drive the exact same car featured. Your lame attempt to educate the public is so far from reality. Although I agree that someting needs to be done to stop street racing, not everyone that drive those types of cars street race. In your story you stated that it was a Jaguar and that is not what the "kids" are driven. I would love to tell your reporter a few choice words that I will not at this time because I am above that. Stories like this give all import drivers a bad name and that is a shame.

Also: I am not from here and had to pop my hood after getting pulled over for window tint. Almost makes me not want to drive my R.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the skunk2 intake manifold is carb legal.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

if they do crush that R.. its because of hot parts.. not street racing...
Old 04-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha that is a clean type R! i like how they like to blame fast and the furious for street racing hahaha and that whole intake manifold n exhuast thing is funny 2. operation crackdown! haha what a name! thanks for this post
Old 04-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If that was a type-R, wasn't that just the OEM manifold?
Acura is selling illegal cars?!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL, they act like they can just spend more wasted money and street racing will end.
I just couldn't stop laughing when the guys like "you have this intake manifold to bring more air and exhaust..."

Appearantly the cars a Transformer also, simple street legal car to a super modified street racer in 0.5 seconds at the push of a button.

And then he goes on about how the parts make the car unsafe, I'd say it's less of the parts that make it unsafe and more of the driver.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Street racing and modifying your ride WILL NEVER END. This thing been going on since the '70's when Big Willie was around and when they built the BrotherHood Raceway in Terminal Island by L.B.C. in the early '90's. So, no matter what the Media or other people are sayin' about crackin' down on modified cars...it is still happening until futuristic cars come in, and who knows, some1 out there will modify that!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lmao!!!!street racing mobile!! awesome video
Old 04-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ldo
... at least according to this FOX reporter in this video clip.

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/pages/la...725&feedID=553

No wonder fixed up Honda/Acura's are hated by the general public.

Sorry if this has been posted already. I just couldn't stop laughing listenning to that dude.
I just saw this post, so I am a little late. But I did e-mail the reporter, Matt Johnson with the following info.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hello Mr. Johnson,

I recently saw the news clip about Operation Crackdown and needed to clarify a few things with you.

I have been into imports for years, specifically Honda and Acura. My car is built up and will be featured in an upcoming import magazine issue. I know just about everything there is to know about this subject.

I will point out though that any, I mean ANY car can be street raced. The more modified it becomes, the more the driver will want to drive
more aggressively and possibly race it, legally or illegally. It does not matter if it is an import or a domestic. So I do agree with the police Chief on that topic. That yellow Integra is actually no different any other higher performance car out there regarding overall performance.

Using the yellow Integra as an example is not a true representation of what really is happening with modified or high performance cars. Unfortunately, that is what the Chula Vista PD provided. That yellow Integra was a bit modified, but not anymore than any other import or domestic. Its actual horsepower could have been in the 200-250 HP range, no more than many other cars that come from the factory with well over that much HP and are still lightweight. Overall it is not about HP, but the power to weight ratio.

In the end, it is about the driver and his attitude, not about the car itself. Using the yellow Integra Type R was a poor choice as a poster for modified street cars. It only adds to the negative perception of anyone who drives a modified import car. There are just as many people who drive stupid or illegally with modified domestic cars and Hot rods, yet those cars are celebrated by the media, the public, city and state governments, etc. We never hear about the owners of those cars.

Truth is many import owners, myself included are trying to achieve the same status and respect as the domestic crowd.

Also what kind of technical research did you come up with prior to the story? Did you consult with automotive experts dealing with regular as well as modified import and domestic cars? Or did you just rely on the police for information? The police do have some training so they can spot car modifications, but most of the are not experts, and the officer and the Chief you interviewed are also not experts, just enforcers of some pretty silly state laws regarding what is considered street and smog legal. Probably the best local references for modified import cars are Group 5 Motorsports in the Miramar area, Pann Motorsports in the Kearny Mesa area, The Dyno Shop in Santee, Total Performance in Santee, etc. There are also many domestic and hot rod shops in the area.

Regarding the modifications themselves, there are many that are street and smog legal, and many that are not. The ones that are not are usually related to the costs to get them legalized, not the actual function of those parts. If a person has a different intake manifold, it just flows more air than stock. I know you had only have a few minutes to tell the story, but the “intake manifold” on that yellow Integra was misrepresented and you misspoke about what it does. The intake manifold was in fact the stock intake manifold designed from the Honda Motor Corporation with that motor that was in the car. The modification that you were referring to was the air filter and air intake tube prior to the intake manifold. It only brings more air into the motor, not exhaust into the motor. When more air comes in, the cars engine computer will keep the air/fuel ratio proper, and also bring more fuel into the motor. On an import, that could mean an extra 5-10 HP. On a bigger V6 or V8, that would be 20-50 HP. Also those “buttons” you referred to for the dash controller was in fact an air/fuel controller tied into the cars engine computer. Pressing those buttons does modify the air/fuel ratio a bit, but again it only amounts to a few extra horses on a 4 cylinder import such as the yellow Integra. That controller was technically illegal, but for smog purposes only.

You also mentioned that the car could be crushed for street racing. This in fact is also not true. The car will be crushed if the parts on the car are stolen. If all the parts are legit, the car will not be touched, just impounded if it is involved in a street race.

So to sum everything up, there are many high performance factory import and domestic cars that are way more powerful than most aftermarket modified imports. It is unfortunate that the drivers of modified imports are the ones who do engage in stupid activity and that is why the yellow Integra was used thanks to the Chula Vista PD. But there are just as many domestic or hot rod drivers who so the very same thing. Not to mention people who drive stupid or race with non-modified cars.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol when do they actually name it something other than "operation crackdown" sad too looks like an authentic type r to me =[ and when he spoke of the manifold he meant the INTAKE lol he fails reporters need to do research before he reports IMO
Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

P.S................................

I am also seriously considering writing to the key politicians about this subject in a manner similar to the e-mail I wrote to the Fox reporter. I also suggest we all do the same. If so, please provide intelligent and constructive feedback. If you look, the majority are Democrats...............meaning liberal ideology, which lends itself to not helping us:

- San Diego County District Attorney, Bonnie Dumanis - D
publicaffairs@sdcda.org

- California State Assembly San Diego District 75, Nathan Fletcher - R
http://republican.assembly.ca.gov/member/75/?p=email

- California State Assembly San Diego District 76, Lori Saldana - D
http://legplcms01.lc.ca.gov/PublicLC...district=AD76&

- California State Assembly East County District 78, Marty Block - D

- California State Assembly Chula Vista District 79, Mary Salas - D
http://legplcms01.lc.ca.gov/PublicLC...district=AD79&

- California State Senate San Diego District 39, Christine Kehoe - D
http://cssrc.us/web/39/contact_us.aspx

- California State Senate East County District 36, Dennis Hollingsworth - R.
http://cssrc.us/web/36/contact_us.aspx
It just so happens that Dennis Hollingsworth is the California Senate Republican Leader

You can make a real simple analogy between street racing and gun ownership, not from a Constitutional angle, but from a philosophical angle. With guns, they do not fire themselves. It is the person behind the trigger. With street racing or aggressive driving, the car does not drive itself. It is the person behind the throttle.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dang i hope they dont start doing this throughout cali. I dont street race but a cop told me it "looks street raced out," i love my car and its my first one. I hate stupid people they're freakin viruses, making everyone think stupid
Old 04-21-2009, 11:31 AM

Notice the police chief says that it's not the car that's the problem but the mindset of the driver - then the reporter basically ignores him and keeps pointing to the car. The chief goes on to say that he loves cars and when people mod them as well. That reporter just keeps looking at the car as if to say "beware of yellow integras"
Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shiit was funny!!! wow that phoenix yellow type r was stock except that intake.. wow!! lol damn people need to get off the tip!!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xd69
He said that the "intake manifold" brings in more air and exhaust! I dont know why or even how you would get any of your exhaust into ur intake manifold.

And i didnt know a VAFC transformed cars into "street racing mobile"s!

LOL, thanks for posting this, it was funny. PPL in SD need to start looking out cause theyre hunting for you!
Goes to show how smart you are dumbass because EGR's recirculate exhaust gases back into the intake manifold, so there is a way for exhaust to get into the manifold n00b.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well guys basically their pretty ignorant. lets just completely ban acuras and hondas then.. they will never win! haha
Old 04-26-2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Toy Civic
P.S................................

I am also seriously considering writing to the key politicians about this subject in a manner similar to the e-mail I wrote to the Fox reporter. I also suggest we all do the same. If so, please provide intelligent and constructive feedback. If you look, the majority are Democrats...............meaning liberal ideology, which lends itself to not helping us:

- San Diego County District Attorney, Bonnie Dumanis - D
publicaffairs@sdcda.org

- California State Assembly San Diego District 75, Nathan Fletcher - R
http://republican.assembly.ca.gov/member/75/?p=email

- California State Assembly San Diego District 76, Lori Saldana - D
http://legplcms01.lc.ca.gov/PublicLC...district=AD76&

- California State Assembly East County District 78, Marty Block - D

- California State Assembly Chula Vista District 79, Mary Salas - D
http://legplcms01.lc.ca.gov/PublicLC...district=AD79&

- California State Senate San Diego District 39, Christine Kehoe - D
http://cssrc.us/web/39/contact_us.aspx

- California State Senate East County District 36, Dennis Hollingsworth - R.
http://cssrc.us/web/36/contact_us.aspx
It just so happens that Dennis Hollingsworth is the California Senate Republican Leader

You can make a real simple analogy between street racing and gun ownership, not from a Constitutional angle, but from a philosophical angle. With guns, they do not fire themselves. It is the person behind the trigger. With street racing or aggressive driving, the car does not drive itself. It is the person behind the throttle.
we all should email blast our political officials and tell them not to waste our tax money on stupid things like this. I found out that san diego is not the only county to get this grant. remember the people that back this next time you vote.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**** like this...no wonder cali is broke