Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

Bureau of Automotive repair questions in regards to gsr swap in civic.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bureau of Automotive repair questions in regards to gsr swap in civic.

So I've been hunting down and been searching for the last couple of years for information in regards to obtaining a BAR certification sticker.

I'm planning to swap over my 00 GSR motor from my sedan to my 96-98 obd2a ek.

I keep reading now how you can't BAR a gsr motor because it never came in that model of car anywhere in the world. As with some people saying that only applies to JDM motors.

For example,
Originally Posted by vega_ROCKS
AMERICAN USDM MOTOR ARE STILL ALLOWED TO BE REF'D AND BAR'D
NOT JDM MOTOR UNLESS IT IS A EQUIV TO THE ORIGINAL MOTOR.

I.E.

INTEGRA GSR WITH B18C1 CAN INSTALL A JDM B18C IN TO IT AS LONG AS IT HAS THE PROPER EMISSION EQUIPMENT.

CIVIC WITH D15B7 CAN INSTALL A JDM D15B
DEL SOL WITH B16A3 CAN INSTALL A B16A
AND SO ON

===

THEY ARE NOT SAYING JDM MOTORS ARE NO LONGER TOTALLY ALLOWED, THEY ARE JUST NOT ALLOWED IN VEH. THAT WERE NOT ALREADY EQUIPED WITH IS USDM SISTER MOTOR.

IN THE END YOU CAN STILL DO WHATEVER MOTOR SWAP YOU WANT IN YOUR VEH. AS LONG AS YOU USE THE OLD LAWS ALREADY STATED AND THE NEW AS IT CAN ONLY BE USDM MOTOR IF THE VEH. WAS NOT ALREADY EQUIPED WITH THAT MOTOR.

EX.
1990 CIVIC WITH JDM B16A NO NO NO!!!
1990 CIVIC WITH USDM B16A3 OR B16A2 OR B18C5 OR B18C1 BLAH YES YES YES!!!

can anybody confirm this?
Also i've read through this and it doesn't state anywhere that you can't swap a different engine it just says all smog equipment needs to be installed.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

Some other questions I have are

1. 00 GSR swap in EK - can i use a obd2b jumper harness to obd2a or would have have to completely swap over the obd2b engine harness, cabin harness, and floor harness. I've read a bunch of mixed yes you can use a jumper harness and no you cannot. Please if anybody has any insight would greatly appreciate it.

2. CODE 91 - I've read KATMANS FFTECH article about how to bypass or fool the ecu with

Fool the ecu
We fool the ECU by providing a similar voltage that the FTP would normally send -- this happens to be around 2.5v. You need to acquire a 10k linear potentiometer: Radio Shack Part Number 271-1715.
The outter 2 pins are going to be +5v reference and ground (does not matter which), while the center pin will be your output feeding back to the ECU pinout.

(Before you hook up the pot's center pin to the ECU, use a multimeter to adjust the output to 2.5v.)

There was a few people saying that when the gas tank builds up pressure and the valve closes that the ecu will notice the same amount of voltage being sent to it and still will throw the code for 91.

Also the second alternative was to swap the gas tank out. I was leaning more towards this route, but my question for that is

that FTP sensor has a two wire plug, i was wondering
do i wire up light green wire from the sensor on the gas tank to Connector D slot number #15 on an obd2a harness considering that im allowed to use a jumper harness for BAR. If not allowed the jumper, then A29 on an obd2b harness.

EDIT: 2-27-13 i just picked up an si gas tank with the ftp and bypass sensor, my question now is the light green wire for the ftp is there and also the blue wire for the bypass but what are the extra 3 wire for?

Also i will be using the CAT off my 00 gsr in the ek as far as the piping i'm assuming that i would go to the muffler shop and get stock specs for 2" bpipe with a stock ek exhaust?

I know i need to bypass the IMM on the ecu.

Now sorry for the clutter in this post, but ANY OTHER helpful information is welcome in regards to my obtaining a bar sticker would be much appreciated.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bureau of Automotive repair questions in regards to gsr swap in civic.

you can bar a jdm motor in a ef, I do it all the time. Your best bet is to get a 96-98 motor then its just plug and play as far as ecu goes because your not supposed to use a jumper harness. I thought if you disabled the IMM the cel stays on
Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bureau of Automotive repair questions in regards to gsr swap in civic.

Well i already have the motor in my gsr sedan i figured if i swap it in and get it bar'd atleast then when i get a jdm swap or something i wouldnt have a problem down the line, As far as the IMMO getting removed KATMAN at jhpusa offers this service.

Just wondering do you know if they match the ecu with the year of the motor? somebody eles stated in a another post i made that he got away with the motor being obd2a.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also can anybody confirm if this wiring is correct for the Fuel tank pressure sensor and evap bypass

OBD2A harness
sensor | ecu pinout | color of wires
PTANK - D15 - LT GRN
SG2 - D11 - GRN/BLK
VCC2 - D10 - YEL/BLK
2WBS EVAP BYPASS - A28 - BLU
PG1 GROUND - A10 - BLACK

i was looking through the helms, but i wasnt sure if SG2 and PG1 was correct.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sometimes you can get away with it, but its hard nowadays. And if you went obd2a you wouldn't have to worry about the IMM or the FTP. I would take it to BAR as is and see what they say first since its free if you don't pass
Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And yes they match the vin plate on the motor to the ecu
Old 03-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well so that brings me back to running odb2b lol.