Notices
Southern California Fresno & Below

bard question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 bard question

Does any1 know what state ref bard's jdm swaps? as far as ive read they are allowing jdm swaps to get bard ,but iam pretty sure rio hondo doesnt even have a clue on the laws . any help will be appriated
Old 04-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bard question

upppp
Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any REF will bar a JDM swap, as long as it's in the correct chassis. And has all the correct smog equipment hooked up.
JDM B18 motors can no longer go into a Civic, since it's from an Integra. But any civic motor besides the CTR can be put into another Civic.

Examples:
OBD1 JDM B16 = 92-95 Civic
OBD2 JDM B16 = 96-00 Civic
ANY_ JDM B18 = 94-00 Integra

Correct me if I'm wrong anybody.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Ldo
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trung Nguyen
Any REF will bar a JDM swap, as long as it's in the correct chassis. ...

That has been changed since about April of last year. They no longer accept JDM motor as a brand new swap. So if you want to throw in a bigger motor in your car, it must be USDM.

They will accept it as a replacement motor, for example, you're replacing the B18C1 motor in your GSR with a JDM B18C. Of course, with all the USDM smog components intact.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There ya go,
I BAR'd a USDM GSR in my Civic.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any REF will bar a JDM swap, as long as it's in the correct chassis. And has all the correct smog equipment hooked up.
JDM B18 motors can no longer go into a Civic, since it's from an Integra. But any civic motor besides the CTR can be put into another Civic.

Examples:
OBD1 JDM B16 = 92-95 Civic
OBD2 JDM B16 = 96-00 Civic
ANY_ JDM B18 = 94-00 Integra

I will correct you. lol. you can BAR a GSR,type-R, and anyother b-series into a civic just as long as there isnt any check engine light (they hook up to your ECU to see if you took out the bulb) and all the correct smog equipment CAT,EVAP,PURGE ect. I have sucsessfully swaped USDM 1.8L B-series engines into OBD1 and OBD2 civics and got them BARed with no problem. As for the JDM swaps being BARed i cant really say but there is a guy that has BARed a JDM type-R on this forum. He says that as of january of this year you can BAR a JDM motor (again with all the right equipment CAT,EVAP,PURGE ect). If this is correct I think the only thing u need besides all of this is a USDM manifold cuz the JDM one doesnt have the little nipple on the back for the EVAP. Hope this helps. I will try to find the link of that guy that BARed his JDM type-R.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here it is the pic of the BAR sticker is about 3/4 of the way down. He even talks about other stuff that might help you out too so just read everything.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/my-project-1999-ex-coupe-b18c-r-swap-2717816/
Old 04-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ yea i posted a comment but he doesnt reply :O
but thanks for the heads up anyways. to make it simple i wana bar'd a jdm gsr what needs to be " changed " to usdm specs so i gett a better picture of what iam going to have to look foward in buying
Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Ldo
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hood ride eg
^ yea i posted a comment but he doesnt reply :O
but thanks for the heads up anyways. to make it simple i wana bar'd a jdm gsr what needs to be " changed " to usdm specs so i gett a better picture of what iam going to have to look foward in buying
P72 USDM ECU (OBD1 or 2 depending on the year of the motor).
USDM intake manifold with EVAP purge solenoid valve or Skunk2 with CARB sticker for GSR, but stock manifold is preferred.
Stock header or one with CARB sticker for GSR (make sure it's for the right year).
Prefer a stock intake or one with CARB sticker.
A working Cat Converter for the right year.
Car running without check engine light.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lyzer227
I will correct you. lol. you can BAR a GSR,type-R, and anyother b-series into a civic just as long as there isnt any check engine light (they hook up to your ECU to see if you took out the bulb) and all the correct smog equipment CAT,EVAP,PURGE ect. I have sucsessfully swaped USDM 1.8L B-series engines into OBD1 and OBD2 civics and got them BARed with no problem. As for the JDM swaps being BARed i cant really say but there is a guy that has BARed a JDM type-R on this forum. He says that as of january of this year you can BAR a JDM motor (again with all the right equipment CAT,EVAP,PURGE ect). If this is correct I think the only thing u need besides all of this is a USDM manifold cuz the JDM one doesnt have the little nipple on the back for the EVAP. Hope this helps. I will try to find the link of that guy that BARed his JDM type-R.
I was referring to JDM motors, not USDM spec. If you noticed, I said I BAR'd a GSR in my own EK coupe. (I did it only 3 weeks ago.) As far as I know, according to the STATE REF himself- you cannot BAR a JDM motor into a chassis other the chassis it was meant for.

But maybe he's wrong.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt interesting
Old 04-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was referring to JDM motors, not USDM spec. If you noticed, I said I BAR'd a GSR in my own EK coupe. (I did it only 3 weeks ago.) As far as I know, according to the STATE REF himself- you cannot BAR a JDM motor into a chassis other the chassis it was meant for.

But maybe he's wrong.
yea that wouldnt make sence tho,this link http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/1694278734.html is to a jdm itr into a em1 chasi ?
anyways if you kno of a state ref in so cal that bard's jdm swaps post it . iam sure iam not the only guy intrested in this
Old 04-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want to bar a jdm motor what you have to do is bar a usdm motor first. for example if you got a 92 civic hatch and want a 94 ob1 gsr motor what you have to do is bar a usdm 94 gsr motor first and then replace that motor with a jdm gsr motor in the future as a direct replacement. you cant just put a jdm gsr motor with all u.s. smog emissions parts anymore. so the thing is to gotta go usdm first and then jdm if you want to upgrade motors. you can just go straight jdm anymore unless your car is already a gsr then you can just put a jdm gsr as a direct replacement
Old 04-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol damn every1 has diff responces -___-
Bumppppp
Old 04-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But maybe he's wrong.

LOL. i didnt see the post of you saying that. I am man enough to say thats my bad. But your were also saying that a civic lets say 92-95 you can only swap a different single cam motor and not a B-series at least that is what i got out of your post.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lyzer227
LOL. i didnt see the post of you saying that. I am man enough to say thats my bad. But your were also saying that a civic lets say 92-95 you can only swap a different single cam motor and not a B-series at least that is what i got out of your post.
Oh no, that's not true. 92-95 Del Sol's which is still considered a Civic(I think?), has a B16 motor. So in turn, I believe you can do still do OBD1 JDM B16 swaps into an EG, perhaps just not a B18C.

Also, to any links with a JDM ITR into an EK chassis BAR'd, it COULD be BAR'd from BEFORE this was the rule. But if it isn't, then sh*t more power to the rest of us Honda owners.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Ldo
Honda-Tech Member

Until I see anything published officially, most of these "rules" seem to be just opinions from different state referees that are further misinterpreted thru internet forums.

If anyone is looking to BAR a motor, it's best just to drive to the station and talk to the ref and get every questions answered. In fact, try more than one refs.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ thats truee, i was just hopeing some1 that got a jdm swap would dropp in and lay some facts but everything seems to be opinions lol
Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's all up to the ref to look/overlook things, really. I kept reading that JDM swaps into civics are illegal as of the beginning of this year. But there are slight workarounds such as using a USDM LS engine and BAR the car and then drop a JDM B18c, because the sticker will say Acura 1.8L Engine and no VTEC indication. I've also seen the BAR sticker indicate a VTEC engine. I've also seen stickers with engine codes such as B18B/B18C/B16A, etc. It all depends on what the ref will print on the sticker, and which ref does what.

I think based on ALL the information, it should be safe to say that if you're going to try to BAR your civic with DOHC VTEC engine, you might as well try to get all USDM parts, no matter what situation you're up against.

Last edited by turboskratch; 04-28-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea true but i still havent found a shop that sells usdm gsr's or usdm type r's
Old 04-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Ldo
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hood ride eg
yea true but i still havent found a shop that sells usdm gsr's or usdm type r's
You haven't tried hard enough. Check Inlinefour.com. Though their price is rediculous.

Check the local classifieds forums. I see B18C1 blocks popping up every now and then. You can just get the casing and swap over the internals.

There's also Acura dealership option if you're a baller.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bar'ed by 1995 Civic with a USDM B18C1 a few years ago. But I went back to the same ref (Southwestern College Chula Vista) about a year ago to get updates.

He stated that you cannot swap a JDM motor into any car unless it is a replacement motor only. Doesn't matter what make or model such as Honda, Nissan, Toyota, etc. Although the majority of swaps are for Hondas. He also did say that once you swapped in a USDM motor, you have to replace the motor with another USDM motor and not a JDM counterpart.

I interpret his info to mean the following. Do not confuse the definition of swap and the definition of replacement. Swap means putting an entirely different motor into a chassis that never came with that swapped motor originally. Replacement means putting an exact or almost exact duplicate motor of what originally came in the car.

That said, for any SOHC 88-00 Honda Civic do not SWAP in a JDM motor of any designation unless it is a JDM version REPLACEMENT 1.5L or 1.6L SOHC motor. The only exceptions are the 93-97 Del Sol VTEC with USDM DOHC B16A3, and the 99-00 Civic Si with USDM DOHC B16A2. For those, you may swap in any JDM replacement B16A motor.

For the SOHC Civics, you may SWAP in any USDM motor you wish. Once you swap in a USDM motor, you must stay with that USDM motor forever................unless you move out of California.

If you have any 89-2001 Integra, then the sky is the limit.

I do not know if the rules have changed since I talked to him last year.

Now all this is only referring to D, B, F, and H series drivetrains. K and J swaps in pre 2001 cars are a whole different subject entirely.

Last edited by Toy Civic; 04-29-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ldo
You haven't tried hard enough. Check Inlinefour.com. Though their price is rediculous.

Check the local classifieds forums. I see B18C1 blocks popping up every now and then. You can just get the casing and swap over the internals.

There's also Acura dealership option if you're a baller.

I was referring to shops that sell them usdm swaps but yea iam on a budget lol ill just keep it low pro if I get a swap lol
Old 05-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Quick Reply: bard question