Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Southern California (https://honda-tech.com/forums/southern-california-87/)
-   -   Advice/experience with BAR (https://honda-tech.com/forums/southern-california-87/advice-experience-bar-3250860/)

jdmfoglights 06-16-2015 11:30 AM

Advice/experience with BAR

Hey guys,

I have gotten all the information I need for barring my engine, but I'm missing a piece of information I still need and I can't seem to find it. I would to hear anyone's experience with BAR.

I have a 1993 civic si with a stock 1995 B18C1 (GSR), and I from California.

So has anyone barred their car with a custom exhaust (2.5in) with CA legal catalytic converter and a magnaflow muffler? This is my specific setup right now and I would like to get this out the way before I start nursing school this fall lol. Yes, I am aware that I can always change back to stock exhaust piping, BUT THE POINT is if I can BAR my car with my current setup. If I can pass with my current setup then that's kudos to me.

Please anyone with experience with this, feel free to post something. I would appreciate it.

NotARaCist 06-16-2015 11:33 AM

Re: Advice/experience with BAR

Call your local BAR ref and find out. The rules and laws change so often, and are handled so differently by different stations, what was true for someone a year ago, six months ago, or even possibly last week might not be true for you today.

jdmfoglights 06-16-2015 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by NotARaCist (Post 50397728)
Call your local BAR ref and find out. The rules and laws change so often, and are handled so differently by different stations, what was true for someone a year ago, six months ago, or even possibly last week might not be true for you today.

Thanks! I figured this would be my best choice to get info.

Hypothetically speaking, let's say I do get my car barred with my current setup and not pass due the custom exhaust, does this mean I will get red flagged in the system for having an "illegal modification," and if lets say LAPD/CHP pulls me over due that red flag, can they still send me to the state ref even though I'm in the process of legalizing my motor?

NotARaCist 06-16-2015 11:50 AM

I don't know. The only honest answer I could give you to that question is "Move out of Nazifornia."

It's still around mid-day over there, though. You should be able to call a BAR ref now, get a quick answer to your question, and then you'll know exactly what you need to bring to pass the first time, instead of risking your aforementioned scenario.

jdmfoglights 06-16-2015 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by NotARaCist (Post 50397768)
I don't know. The only honest answer I could give you to that question is "Move out of Nazifornia."

It's still around mid-day over there, though. You should be able to call a BAR ref now, get a quick answer to your question, and then you'll know exactly what you need to bring to pass the first time, instead of risking your aforementioned scenario.

Thanks! I will do this.

Appreciate your input.