Southern California Fresno & Below

2000 em1 rhd in cali all vins match

Old 07-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 2000 em1 rhd in cali all vins match

Bought a really clean em1 for cheap not running right. .. Finally got it running perfect after about 500$. I was told in order to drive the car legally in cali I have to get A "blue tag" the Asian guy I bought it from told me "no need for Blue tag every single vin matches" and it does ask the vins match. .. firewall, dash, doors ext. But I'm concerned don't want to get the car taken away cause I don't have proof of purchase receipts for the front clip. .. Or jdm vins from the ctr. What can I do? Take it to chp have then verify it? What's the blue Tagg inspection consist of? The car is stock except for susp. Any pointers or help week be much appreciated... Well be posting photos soon Thanks guys
Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 2000 em1 rhd in cali all vins match

Old 07-28-2014, 08:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Old 07-28-2014, 08:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...rod#California

California

I have an old Chevy and couldn't find the numbers anywhere. To avoid all the problems that come with registration, I simply stamped the number off of my engine on the frame.... Called a policeman I knew and had him verify the number. Took it to DMV and the registration went right through.
You have to be very careful with the titling of an unregistered car in California. If you make the mistake of putting a late model engine in an older car and make the mistake of telling the DMV that you have a '85 engine in your '37 Chevy/Ford, etc, they will make you put all of the smog equipment for a '85 model car on your old car. I have had two friends get caught in this trap, one guy told the examiner that the engine was a '95 Chevy...OOP's, he had to put everything that was required for a '95 Chevy on his '37 Ford.
The best thing to do is get the legal paper work straightened out before you ever do any work on the car, then file a non-op on the car, when you get it running you send in proof of insurance and the renewal fees. No questions, no inspections, no hassle.
Also you can find a "vehicle verifier", usually at a dealership. Ask for the title/licensing desk, or talk to the used car manager. He will usually help if you grease the skids ($100 bill). All he needs is the paperwork. Ask the title desk what they need.
Or if you wish to get technical get a copy of the California vehicle code. I did, read it and was ARMED.
It should be noted however that submitting a fraudulent document such as a false verification in California is a FELONY and prosecutions do occur when the DMV Investigations branch discovers these. It happens more often than you might think - just because it did not happen to someones 'buddy' does not mean it will not happen to you. This is especially true in the case of kit Shelbys and similar vehicles - They have caught on to that.
Also if DMV decides it wants to it can ask that the owner obtain a CHP verification and be issued a 'blue tag' verification number - and those guys are not easily fooled - and for goodness sake do not try and slip them a $100, it will certainly end you in jail - I am one of them and people have tried and they have ended up on the wrong side of the bars!!
I would suggest going to AAA to handle your paperwork, as they're on your side and want to make this process as easy as possible. Should there be any snags, as there were in my case, you're hopefully not in the state system enough to have to go to the CHP to verify things. I'd avoid them like the plague. At the very least its going to be a hassle. There are many title registration services in the Los Angeles area, I'd strongly suggest using one of them. It may be the best $150 or so that you spend, as in my case I never had to set foot in the dmv office and got everything taken care of within 2 weeks.
[edit]Another perspective
First of all you need a bill of sale or receipts for all of the major components, body, frame, motor, transmission and or rear ends. They will accept an eBay page showing you bought the things you say you did. If not a receipt, you have a statement of facts that you can fill out telling where you acquired the part, and how much you spent for it.
The DMV has an application for registration and title of a newly constructed vehicle. You fill out all the paperwork, attach your bills of sale, and go to DMV. They will charge you the sales tax, and issue you a temporary registration for whatever you wrote down on the application. If you do not have a serial number on the body or frame, then this will have to be verified by the CHP.
Call the CHP with your paperwork, and they will assign you to a vehicle verification officer, somewhere in the county that you reside. Normally, it takes about 6 weeks to get an appointment, depending on where you are in california.
You take all the papers to the CHP, and they simply check that all the motor numbers, frame numbers and so forth match the paperwork that you provided. If the "street rod" does not have any numbers, then they will issue you a CA identification number, which is a blue metal sticker they will affix to the door jamb, firewall, or frame of the car you are registering.
They sign off on the correct forms, you take this back to the DMV, and they will then issue you your plates, and a few weeks later, your title.
It is important that you use a pre 75 motor, if you want to avoid smog. If you use a later motor, the "new construction" car will have to go by the smog rules for the year of the motor. IE, you put in a 1995 motor, you will have to have all of the smog equipment for that year of motor. If you do not agree, then you can go to the BAR refereee people, and get a judgment about what year your car is, and what smog you have to have done. If you use a pre smog motor, you will avoid all of that.
I stress here that if all of your paperwork is complete, you have the correct bills of sale, and you do it right, it is no more than an hour in DMV, and about the same at the CHP. A tip when going to the CHP, make sure all of the numbers that you have are visible and readable, BEFORE you go there. Otherwise, you may have to come back again, when you have removed the fender, cleaned the rust, or whatever else is going on where they can not read the numbers. And waiting another 6 to 12 weeks for an appointment is a pain.
What you will have titled (for example) is a "1924 Dodge Brothers 5 Window Coupe, 2008 New Construction". Make sure you put in the year and what you want it to be called, as what you submit on the paperwork will be the title of your documents for ownership.
If you have an original title for the car, you may not have to do any of this. However, it is important that you have all of the correct paperwork completed. Also that you are prepared to answer any questions by the DMV correctly. All you have to do is irritate a clerk, have a title for a 3 window, and an application for a 5 window, and you will not get an original title, but will have to jump through the hoops above, and have a title for a "new construction" car.
This is an easy and straightforward procedure if you get all your ducks in a row. Approach it with incomplete paperwork, bad choices of motor or illegible numbers, and you could be in for a nighmare. The above post suggests using AAA club for it, that is a good choice, and if you are unsure, you are far better having an agency do the legwork for you.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope the best for you, but this sounds like it's going to be a nightmare already.

did you get the title of the car? can you get in contact with the old owner and get some type of paper work, bill of sale? better yet can you get your money back
Old 07-28-2014, 12:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Hang onto the car if you cannot get it titled. Vehicles that are 25 years or older are exempt from EPA and DOT. I don't recall off hand which one is which, but one is 21 years and the other is 25 years.

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impor.../importing-car

You can get a car in the country to use it as a race car only 😉
Old 07-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the replies.. The car is registered I have plates till April 2015... I have the pink slip also. .. To me it sounds like the guy converted it and just took all paper work to dmv and registered it as a normal em1.. But this thing is rhd.. I don't think he mention that to dmv about the conversion. .. jdm front clips /dash don't have vins... My car does but the original vin was glued on to the new Japanese dash... The fire wall vin matches. . Can't Even tell it was cut out n replaced... I didn't even know about all this I'm super scared. . What do I tell police if they ask " why the hell are you driving on the right side?"
Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

God. Think about all the money California spends to inspect their citizens. It's scary. And totally unnecessary. That money could be going to improve so many different areas
Old 07-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the replies.. The car is registered I have plates till April 2015... I have the pink slip also. .. To me it sounds like the guy converted it and just took all paper work to dmv and registered it as a normal em1.. But this thing is rhd.. I don't think he mention that to dmv about the conversion. .. jdm front clips /dash don't have vins... My car does but the original vin was glued on to the new Japanese dash... The fire wall vin matches. . Can't Even tell it was cut out n replaced... I didn't even know about all this I'm super scared. . What do I tell police if they ask " why the hell are you driving on the right side?"
Old 07-28-2014, 04:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by robsta rhdem1 View Post
Because I can Officer. Why do you choose to drive on the left side??

Driving on the right side is the least of your worries. It is illegal to swap VINs on a vehicle.

Two things are possible. Either the car was originally a USDM car and parts were swapped onto the vehicle and no VIN's were disturbed, except the dash, this is the option you want by the way.

Or, the civic is a true JDM and someone was an artist in welding in a donor VIN into the firewall and painting it as well as getting a replacement sticker for the door VIN.

You may not want to dig to deeply on this or post pictures up. I would love to see this if you do decide to post pictures.

I would consult an attorney, SOON.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:22 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

You can't just swap the dash and body parts. There are holes in the firewall that are specific to LHD and RHD cars. To do a RHD swap, you either have to get creative with a plasma cutter, or you have to replace the firewall. I have NEVER heard of anyone getting creative with a plasma cutter, because let's be honest, that's quite possibly one of the most stupid things I've ever heard, and everyone with a RHD car either buys the entire front clip, or buys a car that is already RHD.

OP, if you ever have to get that thing through BAR, you're probably going to get bent over and fucked. Get as much paperwork as you can from the PO, and start praying.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Getting the blue tag is touchy. I had a friend try to get one twice, first time the CHP wouldn't even look at the car. Second time, different location, they just did a quick inspection of VINs and he was given the blue tag. It's quite literally just to make sure you haven't done anything illegal. And given that you state it has matching VINs already I'm pretty certain it's a conversion. And that right there could be a problem considering you state that the firewall VIN looks untouched. Depending on how the RHD conversion was done, they may say that the way it was done was the wrong way because you've already stated that it was cut and replaced.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:51 AM
I OLD SKOOL

Rhd conversions usually have just the firewall cut below the vin and swapped out for the rhd version. My friend had it done to his crx but the guy who did it ended up cutting above the vin. Car ended up having two vins one jdm and one usdm and was done wrong.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 88CRX951 View Post
Rhd conversions usually have just the firewall cut below the vin and swapped out for the rhd version. My friend had it done to his crx but the guy who did it ended up cutting above the vin. Car ended up having two vins one jdm and one usdm and was done wrong.
That's how my conversion was done but I also have the paperwork for the front clip with me at all times. I even made copies just in case. Im ex-military from new jersey and i still have my jersey plates but im very skeptical about putting cali plates considering i have a k24/k2o turbo swap