Notices
Southeast Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina

Newbie looking for advice/link to buying a Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for advice/link to buying a Del Sol

I am a current owner of a 5th gen Prelude - owned it since brand new. I'm currently looking for a Del Sol to have fun, pop the top and just enjoy. I've been looking on craigslist within a few hundred miles of Memphis to find an unmolested low mileage - if possible.

I think I want to look at the 95 model and above since the targa seals were updated and this seems to be a huge issue with the earlier models. i think i want the 1.6 SOHC vtec for MPG and a little bump when needed.

Could anyone offer some good info or a discussion link to help me make my decision?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: Newbie looking for advice/link to buying a Del Sol

Buying a used Del Sol is like buying any used car. All you need to do is make sure you look over it thoroughly.

Also, searched "car buying guide": https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...r+buying+guide
Old 02-23-2013, 05:22 PM
talks to himself

Ludenmphs,

Welcome to H-T. I didn't appreciate that terse and, frankly, rude PM.

My family does own a Del Sol so, my general guidance isn't as general as you've assumed. I also own a 5th generation Civic hatchback. They are essentially the same car (in an overly simplified way). Much of the mechanical components are interchangeable with little to no modifications.

The 1.6L SOHC VTEC engines (D16Z6) are great motors. I wouldn't think twice about buying an unmolested engine that's over 130k miles as long as the test drive is ok. I'm assuming you're not going to be adding any kind of forced induction so there isn't much you'll need to worry about.

You've identified one of the common Del Sol problems. The only offer one would be that the bolster on the driver's side seat is almost always torn. So, if you find one with a seat that isn't torn, it might make a good parts car at the very least. Have you owned Hondas before? More specifically, have you owned older Hondas from the nineties? They all rust in the same area. Inspect the rocker arms and the rear wheel wells for bondo. I'm sure you know how to do this so I won't insult you with instructions since you've bought and sold so many cars in your life. Anything wrong with the car can be fixed for "cheap" relative to other cars. You can order OEM Honda parts from several websites or your local dealer. Whichever you prefer.

If you're looking to insure that the car is a stock as possible, I suggest looking up the meaning behind the VIN number and researching common options. Know if the model you're looking at is supposed to have the fog lights in the bumper cover or not. Know if the head lights are supposed to be glass. Know if the car is supposed to have discs or drums in the rear. If you find a Del Sol with an automatically retractable targa, you've hit gold.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, thanks for the info. I had completely forgotten about the days of glass head lights and drum brakes. I do have the VIN guide so i can check it against the cars i find.

Sorry if my PM sounded rude. The moderator moved my post from an area I had privileges to an area that I could not even respond. I have no idea why he did that, but it seems I have now made it though the waiting period.

I recently bought a 95 Miata and before i made the purchase, I joined Miata.net. They had an extensive "What to look for when buying" guide that was spot on during that search.

Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
talks to himself

Again, your sarcasm is not appreciated.

I could give you more information, but I don't help people who don't help themselves. You'll probably get the same reaction from other members. Our community doesn't need more people like you. Please don't buy a Del Sol.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
Again, your sarcasm is not appreciated.

I could give you more information, but I don't help people who don't help themselves. You'll probably get the same reaction from other members. Our community doesn't need more people like you. Please don't buy a Del Sol.
awe... this will make it better
Old 02-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the trunk for leaks. The front carpet for leaks. The door latches for cracks in the supporting metal. (The frame twists with the top off and this cracks) the rear window also is prone to fill with water. (Sloshing sound when cornering ) if the trailing arms have not been done yet they probably need to be replaced. 95-97 have improved targa seals to prevent leaks. Sol society used to have a pretty good how to. It may still be out there in cyberspace.good luck. There are some really great Sols out there right now in NorCal. Two VTEC editions and a few si's.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey thanks chaos! Didn't know about the handles and rear glass. I am concentrating on the 95-97 and think I want the SI model. I'll check NorCal.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NP. Si model is a good choice gets good mileage and is still fun. The 97s even get the VTEC models sway bars . I'll shoot you a link to a del sol site. We are having a del sol meet this Saturday in the bay.