Southeast Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina

Charleston, SC Area Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Charleston, SC Area Thread

Originally Posted by sikvic00
hey sseater you think you could help me pull my engine out of the hatch sat evening if nothings going on. i need a engine hoist. text me 803-309-8744
I'll shoot you a text a little later on. Not sure if i can get out of here today. Maybe tomorrow sometime. I got a turbo motor that i got to get torn down today and inspected.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok sounds good!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its been back up and running, but its hurt, got a GSR swap going in next week or so, but no boost.... cylinder 1 has 80 cranking compression.......

and i ended up talking to the guy on the bike following us that day, he said you were at my fender the whole time.... so my bad, guess i was "in the zone" and never seen you.... by the way when i got it back together after the head gasket popped and turned it up to 18psi i put lengths on a 450whp/515wtq lightning (that was with the 3" turbo back, solid mount, and way more boost than when we ran)... clutch started slipping from 3rd gear on so i turned it back down and was going to sell it. this douchebag test drove it, dropped it in second at 65mph and hammered the throttle (fast and furious style), needless to say its down a cylinder now and coming out.....

got alot of single cam turbo parts if anyone needs anything. also some 880s for sale.

oh and i didnt dyno it at 18psi but i was hitting 86% duty cycle at 43psi at the rail with the precision 880s, if you feel like doing the math to figure out about where i was power wise....
Old 05-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sseater Thanks again for the jack stands and it was good talking to you. Nice eg and a Super Cool dude. Hey schardbody shoot me a pm on what type of parts you have. i was just talking to Edward about going sohc on my d16y7. just need to build it first. I need a y8 intake manifold if anyone has one laying around. I'm trying to do this the cheapest way possible to save some cash but build it right. If you guys want to help me build it with xtra hands and knowledge that would be great. I want 300+whp. Hey sseater let me know if that z6 tranny needs synchros and ill buy them if needed. if you need any help guys let me know.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check out my thread..... http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2934306

also have a complete built y8 and ex trans... it lost compression on cylinder 1, wet compression test was good so it needs rings, possibly pistons, but doubt it.... head should be good it was milled and checked out about 1500 miles ago, but i'd recommend a valve job at the very least it was over revved.... the trans is mint and shift smooth as butter at 8000rpm.....

just let me know what you are interested in and i'll figure out a price... its all still in the car, pulling it sunday.....

300whp is easy with a basic vitara build and ebay turbo setup, and cheap if you can assemble the longblock and do the labor yourself.

by the way, my name is Lee, i hate being called scHardbody, i got that SN like 12yrs ago....

just pm me what you would be interested in, i'm very negotiable as non of it is useful to me anymore.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well sseater said he already has a tranny i can give me. Yeah i was going to do the Virtara build on the bottom end. keeping the non vtec head just need to get a y8 intake manifold. how much for just the intake manifold and turbo piping ,intercooler? My name is Wesley im new to the charleston area. You said your y8 was built, What did you build it with and what caused it to mess up?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its vitara built but custom length rods instead of standard length so i actually had like 8.5:1 instead of 7.5:1 compression.

i dont have a clue what actually took the rings out on cylinder 1, could have been like that since the blown head gasket, probably all the heat caused them to loose tension, they definately didnt scuff the bore, ring gap was set pretty loose as i was looking for 400whp... the car was running perfectly fine, until i let this guy test drive it (trying to sell) and he mechanically over revved the motor, then it started smoking pretty bad..... i didnt investigate any after the compression test decided to part the turbo stuff and the single cam stuff and just put the gsr swap in and sell the coupe i was going to put that in....

i dont have a clue what a y8 manifold is worth, never bought stock stuff before..... just look around and see what they go for and i'll sell it to you for that or cheaper.

intercooler and piping with the bov i'll let you get for $80.....if someone doesnt buy it first, but give me until the weekend to get you a picture of the intercooler, it looks like i hit something and dented the corner of it, weird that its unseen with the bumper on, soon as i took the bumper off i noticed it... its still functional, and the dent is hidden, but i'd rather you see it before deciding.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok sounds good. Im still debating on what i should do. so many choices. lol! im not in a big rush so dont wait on me. ill definitely understand. Ive had some offer for my em1 so maybe ill trade out but who know. ill definitely get with ya on those parts soon if i do. Thanks
Old 05-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like $50 for the manifold... that will be manifold with throttle body fuel rail and stock injectors if you want them (need new o-rings though). oh and the throttle cable. not sure if you'll need it but i have the fuel line from the filter to the rail too.

i might have to keep the iacv not sure if the obd1 gsr iacv is the same as the y8, i'll find out tomorrow though.

looks like most people ask between 50-75 for just the manifold, seems high to me, so i priced mine basically complete for less since i wont have to ship it or anything.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So hows the hatch coming Sikvic? You get the motor out yet? I've been working my *** off in the past week. Not much time to get on here and see whats happening. What all you plan on running in the N/A gsr swap Lee?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Motor is still in the car lol. i havent even jacked it up yet. but ive been debating hard on which way im going to go with this project. Ive had a guy wanting to trade me a clean ek hatch this sunday coming up for my si. It has a lsvtec swap. Since a hatch is all i really wanted in the first place. What would you guys do? sale the project hatch and use that money towards the hatch im posibbly getting or keep it and make it usable to drive around as a beater for a second car? but if the trade doesnt go thru then im just going to keep the si and finish the hatch project and then sale the si once its done.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lee i will buy it from you if i keep it. ill know alittle more after this weekend what im going to do.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not going anywhere just yet, so you have plenty of time.. still working on getting the gsr swap in before i tear the y8 apart and part it out..

edward, its just a stock usdm gsr with aebs intake mani, 3" short ram, i need a header, but i want to lower the car some more so i'm keeping stock manifold for a minute to see how ground clearance will be with a 4-1 since i hate try-y's.... it will possibly get sprayed, but i'm honestly just trying to get the car to daily driver status right now so i can save some money... done spent $8k in the past 6 months on this car.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I say trade if its a clean setup and worth about the same as the si. Lsvtec can be fast if done right.

8k is a lot in 6 months, but thats how it goes when you want to go fast. lol! If you can find a jdm type r header you will have plenty of ground clearance. Not cheap tho. You can run some r cams and get some nice gains out of that gsr also.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eh, once you've had a boosted D at 18psi no N/A mods are worth the money so it'll stay like this for awhile.... need to find a bseries vtec exhaust manifold heat shield though if you know of one local. they are all interchangeable.

exhaust had to be custom done (aftermarket catback to short *** GSR manifold), so swapping headers now would be more money and time.

got the car running and driving today, gotta take it to work tomorrow and put the smoke machine on it, got a high idle i cannot for the life of me figure out. cover the FITV hole in the throttle body, nothing changed, cover the IACV hole in the throttle body nothing changes, spray carb cleaner everywhere and nothing changes...

i could care less about going fast in this car anymore for now, i want to daily drive with a/c and 30mpg..... my blazer gets lucky to do 16mpg with the a/c on.....

after putting some miles on the clutch i'll take it out to dorchestor for the hell of it and see if i can hit a mid 9 (pathetic)......
Old 05-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully the si will be gone this sunday and ill finally have a nice clean ek hatch to play with.. If so sseater you want to help me get the hatch running and maybe we can sale it and ill share some of the profits with you? just a thought.Talk to you guys later and have a nice memorial day weekend. ill be in Columbia.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

smoke machine worked, had a TINY leak in the throttle body gasket, all fixed and good to go.

a/c went back on today, will be charged tomorrow, then to the exhaust shop to get welded up..... anybody need a full 3" catback, its for a coupe, but can be modded, CHEAP, its useless to me and takes up alot of space....

sikvic, whats wrong with the hatch that you need help with?

edward do you know anybody with a hydro B torque bracket, and possibly VSS? i need the front torque bracket for sure, the VSS i can probably clean the pins and get working, but its corroded badly, was working in the last car, but i might end up needing one.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats good that you got your car running lee. Cant beat ac!lol Well the hatch is a 96 dx hatch decent body just paint is chipping on back bumper and the clear is peeling on top. I have to install the 00 front end on it. i have everything besides hood. as for running again. Just needs tranny. which edward said he had and i would need to get the bottomend redone ,because it had a slight rod knock when i purchased it. Need to get your intake from you. interior is in good shape. maybe a few small things like window regulators need to be adjusted etc. it shouldent take much to get it back running and driving. could be a nice little project ..
Old 05-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

finally tore the y8 apart at midnight last night and found out why it was low on compression in a cylinder and smoking. rindland was shattered on cylinder 4 and cracked on cylinder 3.

weird thing is i never got any detonation according to the det can, possibly picked up some bad gas i guess. oh well, i'm enjoying the gsr with a/c now.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well the deals fell thru guys. so hopefully i can get this motor out of the hatch soon. Im low on resources and help. I need to get the motor out . The d16y7 when it ran had knock. kinda of souded like a rod knock.just dont want to spend much money on this d series.I cant find a bottom end any where. Edward told me he would give me a tranny. so i just need to find a good bottom end. never rebuilt one befors so im lost . im willing to learn and pay if yall willing to help. edward sorry for holding up your jack for so long . just let me know when you need it and ill bring to you.