Notices

Planning to rebuild motor. Need advice on what parts to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning to rebuild motor. Need advice on what parts to buy.

I have a 1988 crx si with a y8 mini me. The motor has about 136,000 miles, and needs rebuilt, because its burning oil at a high rate due most likely to piston rings. It could also need a rebuild on the head, but I plan to just buy one that's ready for a turbo. If money was but an object what parts or company's do you reccomend I use for my rebuild? I would one day like to do a turbo, but for now I need to focus on making the engine not smoke, so I can pass deq next year and keep my license plate. Also before I do a turbo i plan to make vtec work with a obd1 conversion useing a p28 ecu.

Personally I was looking at

SpeedFactory No-Notch H-Beam Long Rod and Vitara Piston Combo D16 75.5 bore for 500$ + I'm estamiting 700$ for a machine shop to bored out my engine and freeze plus ect(I'm still learning everything a machine shop can do to a motor when you take it in)
4P outlaw d16 Cylinder head 3000$ (that's with every extra option I can add + the d16y8 core I'd buy from them)
Brian crower stage 2 cam 380$
Skunk2 adjustable cam gear 140$

So as of right now I'm looking at about 4700$ to build my motor how I'd like. Is there any reason any of these companys shouldnt be trusted or I should go with a better product ?

I'm not super concerned with the cost, more just that I'm picking quality products that will help me prep my motor for eventually a turbo. And yes I know swap would be 1000x cheaper. But for somebody like me its 1000x more of a head ache. I just wanna use what I know works. Right now my car as it sits runs and drives. I wanna pull out my motor stack it like a brick **** house and nuzzle it right back in its home. thank you for any and all advice.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Planning to rebuild motor. Need advice on what parts to buy.

Lol, I also went through a similar situation where the rings were bad too. It didn't make sense at the time to rebuild a D15! Ended up doing a B series swap.

I don't have any advice for the rebuild, but it seems like rebuilding will be a larger headache than a swap... You're still doing an OBD conversion which IMO is the biggest headache!

I'm sure you can pickup a B16 or B18 for cheap! You'd also save money and can avoid the headache by paying someone to do the swap, plus put the extra money towards a turbo.

Unless you'd prefer to do it yourself....
Old 07-20-2019, 06:19 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: Planning to rebuild motor. Need advice on what parts to buy.

You need to let your power / use goals drive the your build. If money isn't an issue, why in the world would you choose a cast piston? My suggestion would be to spend an extra $500 and pick a quality forged piston. Skip the $3K head and just spend $1K refreshing the existing head with a Ferrea valvetrain and the cam of your choice. Take the other $2K and put it into your transmission. If you want more details on the way I went, I've got a build thread over in the FI section, and there is at least one other active D-series build thread there too (Txdragon).