Notices

Maxwellmercer-Quest for 500whp inside

Old 04-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Maxwellmercer-Quest for 500whp inside

Around 2015 I finally decided it was time to get back into a Honda. I found a clean cheap shell locally, and revamped. I ran a 12.5:1 GSR motor for about 3 years until I got bored. It was a ton of fun on track but, it just wasn't enough, I needed more.

So over the past year or so, I've been gathering and making parts to do something I always wanted to do. Have a reliable, street driven, road raced, turbo Honda.

I had initially sourced a JRSC but quickly sold everything off as I realized I would just dead end power wise and I knew I wouldn't be satisfied.

The ultimate objective here is fun power and excellent midrange. I fully understand everyone's love for Precision but, I got a deal and everyone has to start from somewhere!

Unfortunately at the same time I had a B20 laying around that I decided to send off to CSS for another all motor project I was working on.
Since the work was already done, I will be using it for this turbo setup. I'm not entirely sure how long it will last but, I have still taken major precautions to keep it reliable.
I will more than likely send the GSR off to CSS or GE while the B20 is in the car.

Motor/parts specs are as follows:

B20B block
CSS serviced
84.5 bore
JE 10.5:1 pistons
Eagle Rods
KING bearings/thrust washers
ARP main studs
ARP head studs
Golden Eagle main girdle/ITR baffle and oil pan conversion
DIY oil pan weld in baffle
OEM ITR oil pump, water pump, tensioner, timing belt, headgasket and all seals
DIY water to oil cooler

Head:
ITR head
Very mild hand port
Ferrea stock sized valves
OEM valve seals
Supertech springs
OEM K20 retainers
98spec ITR cams
Buddy Club cam gears
Skunk2 thermal intake gasket
Performer-X intake manifold
ID 1000's (E85)
Skunk2 70mm throttle body

Trans:

USDM ITR trans, 4.4FD
LS 5th
New OEM 3/4 syncro/sleeve assembly
Competition Clutch Stage 4 sprung disc, with matching pressure plate and flywheel
SpeedFactory detent springs
IPG parts solid aluminum shifter bushings

(Nothing really too special here...yet!)

Turbo setup/electronics/cooling:

Speedfactory mini-ram
Precision 5557e with "anti-surge" housing
Tial MVS 38mm wastegate, utilizing the water cooling ports
3" downpipe
2.5" charge piping all around
CX front mount 28x8x3 (roughly) - it'll do for now
Tial BOV
MAC valve with boost by gear
Hondata V3 S300
Hondata coil on plug conversion
Speedfactory COP components
Speedfactory 4 bar map sensor
Mishimoto dual core full size radiator
Flex-a-lite fan & shroud
DIY coolant swirl pot
Burton Racing fuel pump relay harness
AEM 340 in tank pump

I plan to continue to run this car in HPDE events, as I had done with the all motor setup. I usually do 5-10 events per season so we will see if it holds up!
I don't want to use ALL of the power on track, I want to do a high/low boost switch to regulate. My peak number goal is around 500whp, but I would like to run around 300-350 at the track.

I will be going to the dyno very soon, so I should have some numbers sooner than later. The build isn't quite finished yet, as I still have quite a few things I want to get done. I figured I would share some progress thus far. (More pictures to follow!)

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by maxwellmercer; 06-05-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Maxwellmercer-Quest for 500whp inside

Clean build!
Old 04-16-2019, 12:59 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Nice setup - it's gotta feel pretty good to be that close!
Old 04-16-2019, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

Looks very well put together and organized. Hopefully that aem 340 pump works out better than the aeromotive 340 pump i bought. Have you ran that aem pump before. Its concerning to me because the aeromotive had maxed pressure of like 60 psi, beacuse of the pressure relief setting. Meaning about 20psi of boost was capable. This information was found in the specs for the pump, after we kept loosing pressure over 20psi on the dyno. I bring it up because i thought they had slimliar build back when i was pump searching in november. Youve been around long enough, and i know youre knowledgeable. Just figured i share, just in case you was unaware of the fuel pumps pressure relief setting.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:06 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by ls joker
Looks very well put together and organized. Hopefully that aem 340 pump works out better than the aeromotive 340 pump i bought. Have you ran that aem pump before. Its concerning to me because the aeromotive had maxed pressure of like 60 psi, beacuse of the pressure relief setting. Meaning about 20psi of boost was capable. This information was found in the specs for the pump, after we kept loosing pressure over 20psi on the dyno. I bring it up because i thought they had slimliar build back when i was pump searching in november. Youve been around long enough, and i know youre knowledgeable. Just figured i share, just in case you was unaware of the fuel pumps pressure relief setting.
Looks like the AEM 340 has a pressure relief valve set to 80 psi. Click on the specs tab. That sucks about the Aeromotive 340 if it is set at 60 psi.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Very nice! Our turbos are pretty darn close in specs but either Garrett was being REALLY generous with their claimed hp potential or PTE was being REALLY modest with theirs. Lol!
Looking forward to seeing the dyno on this.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:07 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Will be interesting to see if the stock B20 sleeves with CSS will hold at 500whp.

Very nice build!
Old 04-17-2019, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I like it. Are you running a thermostat in the oil cooler circuit?
Old 04-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Nice setup - it's gotta feel pretty good to be that close!
It feels amazing! I've really been putting in work to try and get everything done.

Originally Posted by solo227
Clean build!
Thank you!!

I've had the pump in there for about 2 years now, I haven't had any issues but, boost and higher pressure will be the ultimate test. Luckily, DaX laid some reassurance on me!

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Very nice! Our turbos are pretty darn close in specs but either Garrett was being REALLY generous with their claimed hp potential or PTE was being REALLY modest with theirs. Lol!
Looking forward to seeing the dyno on this.
Either way, I think they'll be perfect for what we're trying to do! I will keep this updated with videos/numbers after my dyno day. Which will more than likely be this week or next week!

Originally Posted by 2x0
Will be interesting to see if the stock B20 sleeves with CSS will hold at 500whp.

Very nice build!
Thank you!! I suppose we will see what it does and go from there! I do have some faith in it though.

Originally Posted by Autoworks
I like it. Are you running a thermostat in the oil cooler circuit?
Thanks! There is no thermostat in the cooler except the OEM one in the cooler housing. I have an oil temp gauge, so the water pump is controlled by a manual switch.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dyno time is set for Thursday night, I can't wait!!
Old 05-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer
Dyno time is set for Thursday night, I can't wait!!
I'd be on edge all week. Lol!
Old 05-06-2019, 05:30 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

I'm running the AEM 340 on my setup and it works fine without any issues. IIRC, it's compatible with just about all types of fuel, including E85, which is what I run.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Yep.. as well also lol. I could not sleep last night just knowing today was track day
Old 05-07-2019, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
Yep.. as well also lol. I could not sleep last night just knowing today was track day

Dude, I literally can't wait. I'm describing myself as "bonkers." Hahaha

Good luck at the track today!

Originally Posted by NVturbo
I'm running the AEM 340 on my setup and it works fine without any issues. IIRC, it's compatible with just about all types of fuel, including E85, which is what I run.
Awesome, that's good to have some reassurance. I remember buying mine specifically because they were pushing the "E85 compatible" slogan. I haven't had a single issue with it either!
Old 05-09-2019, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

meanwhile i had two e85 aem pumps burn up on a customer car.. both were on guage wire bigger than recomended and seperate power and relayed..they dont like being run at capacity aparently.. made 1050 something on boost alone.

the build looks fun for sure.. ive got a b20 vtec in my dd right now and contemplatng putting another turbo kit together.. my old si was so much fun
Old 05-09-2019, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Keep us updated on how it all works at the track.

Build looks good for HPDE and road course.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh damn.. Dyno day!!!
Old 05-09-2019, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

I’m curious how it does
Old 05-11-2019, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So has anyone had or heard of any issues with this style manifold having boost creep issues? I'm not 100% positive on the spring size I put in but its 8psi minimum and 11 maximum. We completely bypassed the mac valve to run gate only and it was still creeping to the moon hitting boost cut (15psi) at 4400rpm. The setup is efficient and stout, that's a huge plus but the wastegate is just not doing its job. We were thinking the physical placement of it may have a lot to do with it. Any input guys?
Old 05-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer
So has anyone had or heard of any issues with this style manifold having boost creep issues? I'm not 100% positive on the spring size I put in but its 8psi minimum and 11 maximum. We completely bypassed the mac valve to run gate only and it was still creeping to the moon hitting boost cut (15psi) at 4400rpm. The setup is efficient and stout, that's a huge plus but the wastegate is just not doing its job. We were thinking the physical placement of it may have a lot to do with it. Any input guys?
Would be good to know the spring that's in the wg. I believe that the tial MVS comes with 3 springs that'll get ya to around 15psi with all of em installed. I also believe they're all installed in the box.. At least in my box, there were no springs. Either they forgot to pack them, or they installed them all. Now that we're on that topic, I should PROBABLY go look and see. Lol!
Old 05-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Would be good to know the spring that's in the wg. I believe that the tial MVS comes with 3 springs that'll get ya to around 15psi with all of em installed. I also believe they're all installed in the box.. At least in my box, there were no springs. Either they forgot to pack them, or they installed them all. Now that we're on that topic, I should PROBABLY go look and see. Lol!
As of 2012 , All MV-S gatescome with additional springs in the box to where toy can go up to 22psi with the combinations
Old 05-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My Tial came with no spring installed and the full color coded assortment in the box! I'm gonna uncage the wastegate shortly and report back.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
As of 2012 , All MV-S gatescome with additional springs in the box to where toy can go up to 22psi with the combinations
Interesting. Mine had none in the box. No springs. I ordered the .9 bar MVS 38. I assumed the 3 springs were installed in the WG since they were M.I.A. Guess I'll have to crack it open now to find out wtf..
Old 05-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, I'll chalk this up as a learned lesson here. READ.

I inadvertently read the color code for the MVR wastegate, not the MVS as I should've. The color combination I had calculated to about 14.5 psi. Maybe I dont have an issue at all! Except an operator issue. Crying face!!!
Old 05-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Interesting. Mine had none in the box. No springs. I ordered the .9 bar MVS 38. I assumed the 3 springs were installed in the WG since they were M.I.A. Guess I'll have to crack it open now to find out wtf..
there are two ways to order it. you can get one with a specific spring in it, ( like a .9bar like I did) or the general MV-S, which comes with the additional springs. the part numbers are differently subtle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maxwellmercer-Quest for 500whp inside