Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

B16racereg6’s teal hatch needs TLC/ build

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default B16racereg6’s teal hatch needs TLC/ build

So guys I have been a member a few years. I’ve owned my teal hatch since around 2012 I got it from another member on this site bone stock with working AC.

I got the the car home two weeks later removed my motor and transmission from my rusted coupe to the hatch....

Setup is the following....
Bone stock 10+ year old HMO B16a swap.
Apr head studs and oem head gasket.
goauto cast manifold
go auto down pipe/ dump tube
go auto charge pipe/ intercooler
greddy Type S bov tail 38 mm wg
Garrett 57 trim 63 ar turbo
Precision 880cc injectors with a resistor box
Comp statge 4 6 puck clutch
neptune rtp street tuned by my friend 10 psi I’d say 240 ish HP
Gsr transmission

anyways I’ve ran this turbo setup for 8 years or so beating on this car having a blast the clutch let go about a year ago I haven’t had much time. buying a house to slowed down car projects, so it sat until yesterday. I pulled the trans with a few friends and said let’s start working on cars again! So stay tuned for updates post any ideas or feedback. I plan on using this thread for motovation to upgrade and keep on working on the car.

Last edited by b16racereg6; 04-07-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: B16racereg6’s teal hatch needs TLC/ build

Cool car.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks,

I placed a order for a set of coilovers today and a cam seal, lower ball joints and brakes and rotors. I have a set of inner and outer tie rods I’m going to replace. I plan on hitting auto zone for a valve cover gasket, plugs, wires cap and rotor. I also need fluids.. after the car is up and running and I save more cash I have a spare B18b sitting at my dads I’m going to send to CSS and build that.... I’d say that project will start around July... car also needs body work. I’ve never been huge into having a nice car like my buddy but I might address the issues of the paint / rust...

i will I’ll post updates on the car every two weeks or so I work every other weekend... my brother and my friends all have kids and my one friend is having a baby in a month so we don’t have all the time in the world sadly.. adulting blows lol!

anyways on to the good stuff more photos from yesterday’s work....

My friends super clean hatch.

His motor setup makes 200 hp solid car runs great.

The trans out.

Removal of the trans myself and my friend having fun. Can’t wait to drive it again!
Old 04-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the transmission back in the car. Made the wheels spin called it a day. It was raining we sprayed pb blaster on all the bolts so that way in two weeks we can remove the tie rods and ball joints also to help with the coil over instal. I’m going to order upper control arms for the car. I did not take any pictures of today’s work. I’m hoping by May to have this car on the road and driving again so I can get back to racing this stock b16 for a little and build my other motor.

I need to just take another solid day or two and I will be driving. It just sucks that I only get to work on the car once every two weeks. All the videos and builds In forced induction makes me want to max out a credit card lol
Old 04-22-2019, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck with your plans. Just use some patience. :D
Old 04-22-2019, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank dude, I agree and I will take my time. This is just fun stuff to hang with my buddy’s for a few hours talk crap around the shop make fun of each other and cry about life lol. I will knock out things a few parts at a time. We will be up and running again soon getting that new clutch broken in. After this car is rolling again I’m sure it will motivate my brother to get his turbo civic running again!!!!
Old 05-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Worked on the car today, did inner and outer tie rods. I also did lower ball joints waiting on my upper control arms in the mail. It’s coming together slowly but it is....

I think tomorrow I will head down and do tune up on the motor. I can’t wait to drive it around and feel that turbo spool up. I just placed a order for a K&N cone filter off amazon.... no pictures of work today I just jumped in and kept my phone playing music....

tomorrow I will grab a few pictures !
Old 05-06-2019, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I did the cap, rotor, plugs and wires yesterday on the car. I put a little spray paint on the front end parts the spindle and forks for the shocks. They just had that old beat look I used 2$ worth of flat black.... I replaced the cam seal also. removed my valve cover to replace the gasket. I took it home to clean it up and paint it again.

Anyways here are a few pictures of how the car sits. A few more hours of work and I should be braking the clutch in. Then I need to take it to the body shop to have my friend fix the windshield it has rust around the trim sadly.

Swapping the cam seal

How the car sits until the next time I work on it.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice! sleeper for sure...
Old 05-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93grayeg
Nice! sleeper for sure...

Yeah most people don’t expect a little Honda to make 200hp or more it’s fun.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got the front end pretty much back in working order. Hoping to put the turbo kit on again, this Monday. I think the best part on just working on the car again is it just brings all my friends out to the shop and we have a few laughs and talk sh&t. Few pictures of today,

Had my buddy ryan hit the valve cover with some paint that was on a shelf looks 1000x better lol.

Function forum and new brakes

Again this car is a stock B16 with 80% go autoworks street kit, that I got part by partover a few years. I think the only thing I got on my own was the Greddy type S BOV 38 mm tail and injectors.... manifold down pipe dump tube intercooler and charge pipe is all from go auto. The oil feed kit I got from B&R fittings years ago. I think this Monday I will have this car able to be driving again.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well good news and bad news lol, car is way low up front I mean low. I need to adjust the height on the car a bunch and install the rear coil overs. I took the car on a one mile test drive and my fuel pump quit. It was a 5-7 year old Walbro 255. No big deal have another on the way. I tested the main rely and other possible issues. I can’t hear the pump prime anymore lol!

As long as the parts are at my house this week Saturday I will make it run again and throw the coil overs in the rear Saturday... few pictures of the car now, we had a blast putting it on the ground again. I can’t believe how low it is. To low for me. I’m going to be adjusting it again I can’t ride that low. I am also not use to feeling every bump on the road in the one mile I cringed every time.

Like a two finger gap way too low can’t even turn without rubbing everything haha.

Booossssstttttttt

Old 06-08-2019, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-11-2019, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the issue with the car was the coil went bad. My friend had one around the shop we swapped it out and it fired right up. I placed a order for an accel coil that should be here this week. I will swap that out. I also order a set of stock rear control arms, rear upper control arms and trailing arm bushings. As of right now the car is on jack stands and most of the rear suspension parts are out.

I was in a rush to drive the car, but now I’m more concerned with fixing everything so it drives right. I don’t want to do any boost pulls and wreck. My younger years I did not care. Now I realize a good crash and I could die lol.

Anyways I’m having a blast with my friend really every two weeks spending about 5 hours working on it we have gotten a lot done slowly and surely. Here are a few pictures from last time.

Rear all pulled apart waiting for the mail man!
Old 07-12-2019, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Car is now on the ground again ride height adjusted and ready to go. I’m going over the car this weekend making sure everything is tight and test driving it. Then I’m taking it to the body shop for a quote on paint work. I also got a new daily driver, throwing that on the road in a day or two! Sorry progress is slow. I just have every other weekend off. So the car sits two weeks before any work is done. Shout out to my buddy Tom for letting my do it at his shop and for all of the help! Stay tuned this car will be getting more work paint/motor !

The new daily got it cheap!!!!
Old 07-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

8th Gen si's are the best value you can get for a Honda. They also make perfect DD's

Really enjoying the progress. Looks like that hatch saw some NY winters judging by the engine bay haha.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Today, I went to the shop, car started right up. I took it for a ride blew part of the charge pipe off lol. Went back made sure it was tight, took it down the road and made a few full boost pulls. Car is back and running good. Meeting my buddy I went to college with he went to the auto body section of the college he going to quote out the work.

It needs the windshield trim fixed bad. Minor body work and fresh paint. That’s next on the list and a full

interior detail and lots of minor detail items. I want to buy a new front bumper for the car take a dermal and slowly trim the bumper down to fit it perfect.

We will be swapping the trans in my brothers car soon and hitting some test and tune!

Few pictures of how it sits!
Old 07-21-2019, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Going in for paint and body work next weekend, stay tuned! I also need to pressure wash the motor bay and take rags and detail it..... after that I’m going to enjoy the car! Fall time start on a built motor setup.... teal hatch for the win. Haha
Old 08-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did not make the body shop yet, my friend was busy this week it’s going. Had my brothers car at my friends shop.
We removed the transmission due to a bad 3rd gear and clutch. The car is a Nice stock LS with a peak boost ram horn kit ! One of the coolest cars I’ve ever driven turbo LS motors are so much fun!

Anyone know of a place who rebuilds transmission or takes a broken on trade for a fixed one? I’d say we will need another transmission one day.
Few pictures of his car!

At my friends shop ready to be fixed up like my hatch !

Little tune up after sitting for almost 3 years.

Transmission out, clutch burnt to the flywheel lol! All getting replaced

Car sitting with the old transmission out and the new one ready. Just waiting on a clutch and fly wheel. Car also getting new front end parts like my hatch lots to do!
Old 08-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good lord NY cars look crusty, I don't know how you guys do it.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hahaha I mean we could re do everything like my buddy did on that white hatch but myself and my brother won’t. When our cars are running and on the road we drive them daily and beat the **** out of them so a little rust on the car isn’t anything lol....
Old 08-29-2019, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car is in for body work. Few more weeks! Can’t wait!

Old 11-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So the car has been at the body shop.... my windshield molding area, was rusted bad so I found a roof skin for it the work will start again soon!
Old 11-11-2019, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

clean gem!!
Old 12-22-2019, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks it’s in the body shop. No rush it’s winter now I told my friend do it after all of his insurance work. It’s car vs deer time here in Nys lol

Quick Reply: B16racereg6’s teal hatch needs TLC/ build