Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help! Electrical issue. For 95 honda civic ex

Old 03-23-2019, 11:49 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Electrical issue. For 95 honda civic ex

Hi first time posting .

95 honda civic ex 5spd manual trans.

so im not sure if this is the correct place to do so.
so my issue is my car wont start. It all started when i tried to hook up my fogg lights to the cruise control button . now even the green light on the button doesnt even light up either.. I hooked it up here because i dont have cruise control on my car. Little would i know that it would cause my car to shut down on me 2 blocks down from my house. The check engine light stays on and so does the red oil light. Prior to this happening the car was fine no problems what so ever. On the dash my srs light was on too and when it shut down on me that also turned off.
ive checked all fuses and they are all ok.

No green light?

This is where i had ran a wire to my fogg lights.

No cruise control.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:03 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: Help! Electrical issue. For 95 honda civic ex

What made you think that was a good idea? What knowledge of electrical do you have? Do you know where that green wire goes by looking at an electrical diagram or are you just guessing?
Old 03-24-2019, 07:22 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by deschlong
What made you think that was a good idea? What knowledge of electrical do you have? Do you know where that green wire goes by looking at an electrical diagram or are you just guessing?
Replied and forgot to approve the thread.... Reply was never seen.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:58 AM
Trial User

I have no real electrical experience i just figured since it wasnt being used id run a wire to that switch to power on my fogg lights . guess it was a bad idea.. Any help is appreciated. I need this car running as soon as possible . its my daily for work and back.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:05 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Replied and forgot to approve the thread.... Reply was never seen.
Did anyone see my reply? Not to sure
Old 03-24-2019, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

There's going to be a fuse blown somewhere. Did you check under the hood also? When you turn the key on but don't try to start, the oil, battery, and check engine lights should come on (as well as SRS and ABS). The check engine light should then go out.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:07 PM

I am guessing that you blew fuse 24 in the SRS fuse block, and hopefully nothing worse.

Conceivably, this experiment would have worked if you knew what you were doing. But it would have involved disconnecting all the other connections related to the cruise control.

DOWNLOAD THE SERVICE MANUAL BEFORE YOU DO ANY MORE EXPERIMENTING. THEN READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE DOING ANY MORE EXPERIMENTING.

Disconnect all that **** first, before replacing the fuse, for one. And only replace it with the CORRECT FUSE RATING! (15A for fuse 24, fyi)

Let this be a learning moment.

I swear it's this kind of "I'll just do this, what could go wrong?" attitude that winds up giving us asinine warnings on everyday objects: "Caution: Contents Might Be Hot" on coffee cups, being a prime example.

Do you think NASA just eyeballs **** before they send someone into space? (Just in case, the answer is NO.) Since this is your chariot to and from work and needs to be just as reliable and a ******* NASA rocket, understand what you are doing before doing it. If your teachers in school didn't drill this in to you, then let a random person on the internet convey the importance of this instead.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:11 PM
Trial User

I am guessing that you blew fuse 24 in the SRS fuse block, and hopefully nothing worse.

Conceivably, this experiment would have worked if you knew what you were doing. But it would have involved disconnecting all the other connections related to the cruise control.

DOWNLOAD THE SERVICE MANUAL BEFORE YOU DO ANY MORE EXPERIMENTING. THEN READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE DOING ANY MORE EXPERIMENTING.

Disconnect all that **** first, before replacing the fuse, for one. And only replace it with the CORRECT FUSE RATING! (15A for fuse 24, fyi)

I swear it's this kind of "I'll just do this, what could go wrong?" attitude that winds up giving us asinine warnings on everyday objects: "Caution: Contents Might Be Hot" on coffee cups, being a prime example.

Do you think NASA just eyeballs **** before they send someone into space? (Just in case, the answer is NO.) Since this is your chariot to and from work and needs to be just as reliable and a ******* NASA rocket, understand what you are doing before doing it. If your teachers in school didn't drill this in to you, then let a random person on the internet convey the importance of this instead.
I checked all fuses and none are blown. Check under dash and under hood. Yea i know i fucked this up. Guess its a learning experience
Old 03-24-2019, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

That is a swapped engine, so there are likely other parts of the car that are not as they would be stock.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by mk378
That is a swapped engine, so there are likely other parts of the car that are not as they would be stock.
Yea i know i swapped it myself. Obd1 ls with gsr trans . running obd 1 ls ecu...
was running fine till i tried to hook up my foggs to switch . which is what killed my car
Old 03-24-2019, 12:58 PM

Fuse 24 is not along the "normal" bank of fuses. It is next to the one with that yellow thing around it. Try swapping it out anyway with another 15A one.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Mario1408
I checked all fuses and none are blown. Check under dash and under hood. Yea i know i fucked this up. Guess its a learning experience
My fuel pump also isnt priming
Old 03-24-2019, 01:00 PM
Trial User

Fuse 24 is not along the "normal" bank of fuses. It is next to the one with that yellow thing around it. Try swapping it out anyway with another 15A one.
ok i will try that thank you
Old 03-24-2019, 01:20 PM
Trial User

ok i will try that thank you
this all im seeing.

This is what im seeing. What fuse are u saying?

According to diagram this is 24.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:20 PM
Trial User

Old 03-24-2019, 01:26 PM

You have SRS, right? So not having either of those fuses means things ain't gonna run properly. When did they disappear????? Fuse 24 runs a **** ton of other stuff, not just SRS.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:34 PM

Find a 15A fuse for it, don't just put any old thing in there. You'll risk being further up **** creek if you do.

Also, Fuse 3 is 7.5A and Fuse 2 should have nothing. Swap these. Bet you your interior dome light doesn't work.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:39 PM
Trial User

You have SRS, right? So not having either of those fuses means things ain't gonna run properly. When did they disappear????? Fuse 24 runs a **** ton of other stuff, not just SRS.
im not sure about those fuses i bought the car not to long ago. . just barely started testing fuses with a light up pen.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lets start with what exactly you did and work back from there. you said you tried to hook up fog lights. what exactly did you do? Did you try and power them off the green wire? Does the green wire have power now? Did it before you tried to hook up the lights? You said you made it 2 blocks before it quit, did it quite when you tried to turn on the fog lights you hooked up? If not this may just be a weird coincidence that the car died after you hooked up the lights.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:09 PM
Trial User

Find a 15A fuse for it, don't just put any old thing in there. You'll risk being further up **** creek if you do.

Also, Fuse 3 is 7.5A and Fuse 2 should have nothing. Swap these. Bet you your interior dome light doesn't work.

ALRIGHT FOUND THE FUSE THAT WAS BLOWN! Car started right up.

This fuse was the problem!
Old 03-24-2019, 04:11 PM
Trial User

My cruise control switch however doesnt turn on. LoL thats ok tho because i dont have cruise control nor do i plan on using it.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:17 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

amen...
Old 03-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

ALRIGHT FOUND THE FUSE THAT WAS BLOWN! Car started right up.

This fuse was the problem!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:37 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

The fuse isn't exactly the problem, what ever caused the fuse to blow is the problem.

Replacing the fuse doesn't actually take care of the problem and it's pretty likely going to blow on you again and again until you take care of the problem.