Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1998 civic d16y8 series HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 civic d16y8 series HELP

Hey guys first off new here to the forums it’s been a while since I’ve had a project. But I just got this off a guy who didn’t want to mess with it anymore. So a little about the car it’s a d16y8 new motor 900$. He went out bought the computer that goes with it and all. New distributor, new sparks, new wires. New oil pump new timing belt, and a Transmission he had pulled from a 2000 Acura. Whole new exhaust from headers to exhaust. New pan gasket and fuel injectors. So now knowing all that information it starts right up and idles fine(well he said he got the code ran and it’s a misfire. Not exactly sure which cylinder but says it has to be a spark plug seeing how everything else is new. Well those are new too but could of filed out or anything). And the o2 sensor (which he has 3 new ones I just have to put on ). I haven’t picked up the car yet it’s scheudled for towing later today that’s why I’m trying to seek some help. Okay but so the kicker is when you go to put it into gear it starts to idle really rough then about after a few seconds or so it shuts off. Not really able to drive it since it dies out. Haven’t got to mess with it seeing how I won’t have it for another few hours. The other issue is the d4 transmission light is on. So I’m not entirely sure if it has to do with a bad shift selenoid that isn’t allowing it to stay running once shifted into gear ? Or what. Any ideas or theories of what could be wrong would be great. I figured it can’t be that bad considering everything this dude got is new on here. Long story short he dropped like 2400$ into it and basically don’t have time or keep messing with it. (Yes I have paperwork on new motor it was a 900$ motor). So once again thanks very much 🙏 will be checking and update as we try things out and try to get this beast running.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 1998 civic d16y8 series HELP

First things first, find out what codes are showing, and if any are stored. A spark plug issue doesnt make much sense if everything is new I would assume that the plugs are new too. If a plug is fouled that quickly, there are other issues. But the CEL should tell you a lot of what you need to know.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the transmission is compatible with that motor unless it came from a Canadian Acura EL.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Alex98
I don't think the transmission is compatible with that motor unless it came from a Canadian Acura EL.
yeah I heard you can have it flashed by a dealership right ? It’s like 165$. I mean the only way it wouldn’t be capatiable is if it didn’t bolt up to the motor and the mounts but then you would just modified it so it would. But it is bolted up and connected. So that leaves the computer that isn’t working with the car/motor ? If that’s the case it could be flashed ?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civichxtreme2
First things first, find out what codes are showing, and if any are stored. A spark plug issue doesnt make much sense if everything is new I would assume that the plugs are new too. If a plug is fouled that quickly, there are other issues. But the CEL should tell you a lot of what you need to know.
okay so got the codes read and it’s only blinked one time which indicates a o2 sensor and we think it’s the one of the exhaust but I’ve never once had a car die out from a o2 sensor and I’ve had a quiet of few cars being a Honda with bad o2 sensor. Also think it could of just been low on gas it just kept dying out ? Today we are putting some gas in it and putting on the o2 sensor. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Check some mechanical basics first-- timing, compression, fuel flow and pressure. Are the spark wires in the correct order? Unplug the fuel injectors one at a time to confirm it is running on all 4 cylinders.

OBDII cars will provide more detailed codes using a scanner instead of the blink method.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Check some mechanical basics first-- timing, compression, fuel flow and pressure. Are the spark wires in the correct order? Unplug the fuel injectors one at a time to confirm it is running on all 4 cylinders.

OBDII cars will provide more detailed codes using a scanner instead of the blink method.
okay so we got the issue fixed with the motor and cel light. Now the other issue is the D4 light remains on when put into gear. And it’s a transmission from a 2000 Honda Civic. Do we know how to check a transmission trouble code ? I have never yet so don’t know how to get it to know what’s wrong with it. Some people say that trans needs flashed to that ecu. But I had the same scenario with a 99 Honda Accord the D4 light was on and it was shifting like crap missing 2nd gear so I went to junk yard and pulled a computer from the junk yard and hooked the new ecu into my Honda and it wouldn’t even start (because that computer wasn’t working with the car they said I need it “flashed” to that car specifically?). But this car is starting up even if guy put the ecu that Came with that 2000 Honda Civic instead of the orginal “1998” ecu. I know this may be confusing. But so that would have to mean it’s a shift sensor or something a long those lines. Since the car is starting. Thanks for all the help again. Been getting rain so haven’t been able to work on it much so that’s why I’m still trying to trouble shoot. And don’t just have cash to throw to a Honda dealership to fix all my problems lol.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The "Immobilizer" system was used on several Honda models in the late 1990's, but it didn't reach the USDM Civic until 2001.

I don't know about the automatics but many parts of the computer system were changed for 1999 and 2000, this is the so-called OBDIIb version instead of OBDIIa used from 1996-1998. It is quite possible the automatic is controlled differently and not compatible.

A blinking D4 light means only that some transmission related problem exists, again much more detail is available using an OBDII scanner.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
The "Immobilizer" system was used on several Honda models in the late 1990's, but it didn't reach the USDM Civic until 2001.

I don't know about the automatics but many parts of the computer system were changed for 1999 and 2000, this is the so-called OBDIIb version instead of OBDIIa used from 1996-1998. It is quite possible the automatic is controlled differently and not compatible.
Okay great thanks so if that were the case would it be possible to flash it to that car/computer if I were to take it to Honda dealership
A blinking D4 light means only that some transmission related problem exists, again much more detail is available using an OBDII scanner.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:02 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

i'd be scare to find out whats back there at this point...
Old 03-29-2019, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since a few things seem to be swapped maybe you should post the part # of the trans and the ecu. so we can figure out what your working on.