Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Touge Monster - H23A VTEC EG6 by RGHTBrainDesign

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Built For War - Race Spec EG Hatch by RGHTBrainDesign

Nothing special, just a car tailored to my liking for my specific usages.

Chassis
  • 1992 Honda Civic VX *VTEC Club Ready!*
  • Cruise Control and AC Soon to be Finalized
  • Denji Headlights
  • Beautiful Wiring, Catch Can, Alarm, and Chassis Prep by NomisInd
  • Black Interior w/ FC Rx7 Front Seats and JDM Armrest
  • Brough Performance v.5 H2B Swap Kit
  • Full-Size Koyo Radiator
  • FC Rx7 Front Mount Oil Cooler w/ 160F Thermal Pellet and ImprovedRacing Lines/Fittings
  • Mocal 180F Thermostatic Oil Sandwich Plate
  • KTuned Shifter

Engine
  • H23A VTEC from HMotorsOnline
  • RLZ Engineering CNC Race Head
  • Decked Head to "GSR Quench Volume" @50cc
  • Ferrea +1mm Intake Valves
  • Skunk2 Tuner2 Cams
  • AEM Cam Gears
  • Brian Crower 80lb Dual Valve Springs
  • Brian Crower Tool Steel Retainers
  • NomisInd COP Conversion
  • NomisInd Ballerific Catch Can (Vent Configuration)
  • RDX Injectors, Factory Fuel Pressure Regulator, F23A VTEC Fuel Rail Converted to Fit w/ Injector Dynamics Top Hats
  • AEM 320lph Fuel Pump
  • Hella Horns + Durango Horn + Factory Horn = They'll hear me wanting to pass!
  • Spark Plug Gapping and Selection by Me
  • Hondata S300v3 w/ Tuning by Me (Contact me if you need tuned!)

Induction
  • Honda RRC Civic Type R Intake Manifold w/ Beautiful Porting Work by SBSPerformance. 0.35L Added Plenum Volume
  • KTuned 72mm RBC/RRC Billet Throttle Body w/ B-Series TPS and Honda Odyssey 1.8 Bar K-Series Fitment/B-Series Range MAP Sensor (you're welcome!)
  • Comptech Icebox w/ ITR Intake Arm
  • PasswordJDM Passenger-Side Bumper Corner Inlet Duct

Exhaust
  • SpinTech 1000XP Rear Muffler w/ Extra Packing in Polished 304 Stainless Steel
  • 1320Performance 4-2-1 Header
  • Magnaflow 4" Round Mufflers Under Car
  • Full 3" TIG Welded Exhaust

Chassis
  • KW V3 Coilovers
  • HardRace Bushings Throughout the Car
  • PCI Front Upper Control Arms
  • HardRace Rear Upper Control Arms
  • PCI Rear Trailing Arm Bushings
  • HardRace Rear LCAs
  • ASR 1" Hollow Rear Swaybar
  • Comptech Rear Subframe Brace

Interior
  • Audison Prima Components in Front
  • Audison Prima Coaxials Rear in Civic EX Black Panels + Factory Speaker Pods
  • Alpine CDA-117 Headunit w/ iPod Attachment + Bluetooth
  • Sound Insulation Throughout

Last edited by RGHTBrainDesign; 05-27-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Touge Monster - H23A VTEC EG6 by RGHTBrainDesign

Dig the oil cooler, what type of set up is that? Like it good bad, etc? Have been wanting to put together my own oil cooler kit versus buying the off the shelf ones for like $500.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks great, I just saw the thread in the intro section and had to follow it here, so glad to see more info. From the build I can only venture that it is an absolute torque beast.

All the pictures still have a dist, have you had it up and running on COP yet?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I'll have to watch the videos after while. I enjoyed the ones you did on your integra. This makes me interested in an h2b setup again.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A lot of stuff is getting done this weekend.

Next weekend is COP, finalizing Cruise Control, Installing KW V3s, etc. If not, it won't be far off.

All the videos are of this similar drivetrain setup in the Integra. Hopefully y'all enjoy it. There will be plenty of EG6 videos when I feel the car is ready. We've built this thing to such a high caliber in such a short period of time.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OGNAEG
Dig the oil cooler, what type of set up is that? Like it good bad, etc? Have been wanting to put together my own oil cooler kit versus buying the off the shelf ones for like $500.
Read the breakdown above.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by snobordboy
From the build I can only venture that it is an absolute torque beast.
Even with lower compression and a baby cam, it's a monster. I'll hit the Dyno once the car is closer to completion. I want to revisit the principles I've built the tune on and see about running a leaner transient and lower RPM target.

As of right now, the car is +/-2% fueling throughout the entire rev range in Open Loop, all load conditions (not just WOT). The street tuning I've been doing is pretty incredible.

3.2k RPM and 3rd Gear on relatively grippy 205/50-15s = wheel spin when floored. It's a fun car. Can't wait to show Yall the planned upgrades being installed.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RGHTBrainDesign
Read the breakdown above.
my my bad I must have skimmed over it just saw it now will look it ip later today and check it out
Old 03-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my my bad I must have skimmed over it just saw it now will look it ip later today and check it out
Previously on the Integra I crammed a 34 Row oil cooler in there, but being that the snout of the EG is so much smaller, the FC Oil Cooler that I had lying around was the perfect match for it. This is another reason why the car currently doesn't have AC. I need to find a Condenser Core that has overall dimensions less than 12" tall, which might lead me to this: https://www.restomodair.com/shopprod...e-11-x-20-x-1/
Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Man, these H2B setups leave the engine crammed against that driver's side frame rail. Beautiful build, for sure.

I'm interested to see what you do with the AC compressor, and that part of the setup.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Homosexual by choice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spec looks solid, except no AKMEE parts LMAO. otherwise good.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by exgr
spec looks solid, except no AKMEE parts LMAO. otherwise good.
Not yet, Frank, but we will. This will be a perfect R&D car for you. I can break anything...

Last edited by RGHTBrainDesign; 03-19-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rear Muffler arrived!

Old 03-20-2019, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So a few of you might be wondering what this car is all about... Here's the rundown:
  • Comfortable Daily Driver
  • 30+MPG Highway
  • Relatively Quiet
  • NASTY Fast in the Mountains
  • Some light aero mods to keep up with more modern cars
  • Seat Four, sometimes... Sleep 3 others. Sometimes, just gotta run solo or +1.
  • It's got a tailgate; I'm a redneck anyways. #MiniTruck #MicroVan
  • Uhh, fast enough to make FWD a non-issue vs. modern cars out in the mountains. It's always the most challenging platform to drive fast.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Checked out the oil cooler, looks like the core you can get for less then $100 then there is the lines and oil filter attachment. Good alternative to buying off the shelf for $500. I am always interested in piecing together some that is just as effective for $500 but for $200-300 bucks. I was planning on running a tucked radiator which it seems this oil cooler might be able to sit underneath it since I plan on making changes to the lower radiator support bar (cutting the OEM lower piece and making my own that bends slightly lower then oem). Any opinions or thoughts on oil cooler setup that you wouldn't mind sharing? Wondering where your oil line links up into the oil cooler or if you ran it oil out around the motor and then oil back in around the other side vs both lines running the same side of the engine (in and out). Thanks man! like your set up! <thumbsup>
Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Checked out the oil cooler, looks like the core you can get for less then $100 then there is the lines and oil filter attachment. Good alternative to buying off the shelf for $500. I am always interested in piecing together some that is just as effective for $500 but for $200-300 bucks. I was planning on running a tucked radiator which it seems this oil cooler might be able to sit underneath it since I plan on making changes to the lower radiator support bar (cutting the OEM lower piece and making my own that bends slightly lower then oem). Any opinions or thoughts on oil cooler setup that you wouldn't mind sharing? Wondering where your oil line links up into the oil cooler or if you ran it oil out around the motor and then oil back in around the other side vs both lines running the same side of the engine (in and out). Thanks man! like your set up! <thumbsup>
I kept it pretty simple.

*Earl's 19 row oil cooler
*Mocal sandwich plate on OEM oil filter w/ 0.5" to -10AN adapter fittings
*-10AN stainless lines
*-10AN Fittings fitted to top of oil cooler ( only should be mounted vertical or 90* angle, and never inverted)

I only have one photo recently done as I move the car from storage to my house. Intercooler removed

Oil cooler shown on lower right side by windscreen fluid reservior
Old 03-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Shodan, thanks for sharing man this is useful for me getting some ideas to put together my own oil cooler into my EG. Piecing it together seem like a much better idea then spending the 500 bucks for off the shelf kits. The oil cooler core you put in seems to be like 80 bucks new online assuming the lines and fittings were about 100 more would you say. I was planning on putting the battery in the location where you currently have your oil cooler which is why I was looking into a unit that is more wider in nature like the one posted in the original post. Some units out there have fans attached to them too, any thoughts on that?
Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 AM

Shodan, thanks for sharing man this is useful for me getting some ideas to put together my own oil cooler into my EG. Piecing it together seem like a much better idea then spending the 500 bucks for off the shelf kits. The oil cooler core you put in seems to be like 80 bucks new online assuming the lines and fittings were about 100 more would you say. I was planning on putting the battery in the location where you currently have your oil cooler which is why I was looking into a unit that is more wider in nature like the one posted in the original post. Some units out there have fans attached to them too, any thoughts on that?
My pleasure, but you're forgetting the sandwich plate cost itself, the bracketry (my mate did that himself for me), and other fitting costs. I don't use Mishimoto or similar companies unless that plate has an internal oil thermostat within the housing. That thermostat increases cost a bit. By the time i put it all together, unfortunately, it was close to the $500 you're trying to avoid.

Also, put the battery on the other side or relocate it to the trunk if you must move it. I placed that cooler in that location to get the most air available. If this is a civic chassis, even the side frame behind the radiator support (as long as it is below the oil filter of the block) is a more optimal location than what you may be thinking initially.

I don't use any fans, as my cooler has ample access to cold air rushing through. If you have the right access to air, it will flow faster than any fan could provide.

keep that cooler low...

Last edited by TheShodan; 03-20-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Derale has a setup that I'd run here if I didn't already use the FC configuration.

Derale Oil Cooler

Fabrication costs alone we're over $500... You get what you pay for. Between the bumper support trimming and holes, threading a location stud, L-brackets, line shortening (from the 34 Row setup), figuring out vibration isolation, and the final fit and finish to force the bumper as a proper ducted unit, this was 3/4 of a day's work with two people on it.

This has always been a "Gotta Pay to Play" game. Nothing good in life comes easy. You should focus on what you really want to do and either work harder for it, or focus on something else.

Now, let's get back to my build...

Last edited by RGHTBrainDesign; 03-20-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:13 AM

Derale has a setup that I'd run here if I didn't already use the FC configuration.

Derale Oil Cooler?

Fabrication costs alone we're over $500... You get what you pay for. Between the bumper support trimming and holes, threading a location stud, L-brackets, line shortening (from the 34 Row setup), figuring out vibration isolation, and the final fit and finish to force the bumper as a proper ducted unit, this was 3/4 of a day's work with two people on it.

This has always been a "Gotta Pay to Play" game. Nothing good in life comes easy. You should focus on what you really want to do and either work harder for it, or focus on something else.

Now, let's get back to my build...
understood, however, that is ridiculously large and unnecessary for that sized engine. You'd be adding over double the oil for that to work., if you and I are seeing the same thing here. (Unless your link was just an example of what you're considering on a smaller scale?)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the link and agreed lets get back to your build my bad to take it off topic. Appreciate the input.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
understood, however, that is ridiculously large and unnecessary for that sized engine. You'd be adding over double the oil for that to work., if you and I are seeing the same thing here. (Unless your link was just an example of what you're considering on a smaller scale?)
Well, I suppose it's dependent on your usage. To me, I'm driving my car out in the mountains all day long and some days are more humid than others. There's no such thing as too much heat exchange (when it's thermostatically controlled). Altitude also has a huge factor as air is thinner and the efficiency in which heat exchangers do their work decreases the higher you go... Again, none of this is overkill, it's necessary. Do it RGHT, Do it Once.

Last edited by RGHTBrainDesign; 03-20-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's that 34 Row Oil Cooler on my Canyon-Spec Integra:

Here's more detail on the FC Oil Cooler work... It's extensive:

Old 03-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Well, I suppose it's dependent on your usage. To me, I'm driving my car out in the mountains all day long and some days are more humid than others. There's no such thing as too much heat exchange (when it's thermostatically controlled). Altitude also has a huge factor as air is thinner and the efficiency in which heat exchangers do their work decreases the higher you go... Again, none of this is overkill, it's necessary. Do it RGHT, Do it Once.
Oh, I agree. I did a lot of Time Attack events in this car, which is also turbocharged, and what you have for size is fine for an NA application. But yea, going too large like what you showed can effect the radiator's ability to also exchange air. (You're in the right spot, but you don't want one piece of hardware to fight with the other four heat exchange, it's a classic dilemma amongst turbo people). That's all I was getting to.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, just curious your decision making process on going H2B. Took a 20 year hiatus since my last hatch and just looking at different options in terms of swaps. Done my fair share of B's over the years and just curious your thoughts.

Quick Reply: Touge Monster - H23A VTEC EG6 by RGHTBrainDesign