Notices

New to Superchargers on the H22: Hmmm..where to start on my questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Superchargers on the H22: Hmmm..where to start on my questions.

Hello I just bought a supercharger just a bit ago and was wondering if I can run with underdrive pulley kit and if I can will I gain or lose power also was wondering if I can run the supercharger with my type s 11:1 pistons. I'm only running with the 6psi pulley so just making if it'll be safe to run with that setup. Another thing too is if I'm able to port and polish the bottom part of the intake manifold to 4 runners and also the sc plenum and if I do that will lose low to midrange on the power band will I gain more hp. I know everybody says go turbo that's better but I have my mind made up I want to go supercharger so if you guys can help me get on the right track for my setup then that'll be great. Ps any tips on keeping the engine and sc cool
Old 02-27-2019, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default re: New to Superchargers on the H22: Hmmm..where to start on my questions.

Originally Posted by thatguyjade
Hello I just bought a supercharger just a bit ago and was wondering if I can run with underdrive pulley kit and if I can will I gain or lose power also was wondering if I can run the supercharger with my type s 11:1 pistons. I'm only running with the 6psi pulley so just making if it'll be safe to run with that setup. Another thing too is if I'm able to port and polish the bottom part of the intake manifold to 4 runners and also the sc plenum and if I do that will lose low to midrange on the power band will I gain more hp. I know everybody says go turbo that's better but I have my mind made up I want to go supercharger so if you guys can help me get on the right track for my setup then that'll be great. Ps any tips on keeping the engine and sc cool
Do you wash your hands BEFORE you take a dump? Why on earth would you make a purchase BEFORE finding out what you need to know? Puzzles me tremendously! Anywho.. There's a few SC folks on here, you may get a response eventually. I wish I had more for ya than just good luck!
Old 02-27-2019, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default re: New to Superchargers on the H22: Hmmm..where to start on my questions.

What supercharger kit? JRSC?

If so the JRSC kit is just a small blower. Porting won't likely show many gains until you get to higher boost levels and really push it.

Stock bottom end H22s are VERY sensitive to knock/detonation. Any small amount of detonation will ruin the pistons quickly. Unfortunately the JRSC kit is prone to these kind of issues because it likes to put a lot of heat into the intake and causes super high IATs. Only real ways to combat that with the JRSC is running E85 or water/methanol injection. The car is going to need a good tune from a competent tuner anyway, but doubly so if you run it on straight pump gas.

Next time try structuring your posts a little more clearly so they're easier to follow and read.

Last edited by Aradin; 02-27-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Phrasing.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok sorry about that. So will it be much of an issue running 11:1 compression? And what kind of injectors and fuel pump would I need to run e85? I've also read somewhere that you can use the high temperature oil that shell sells. And if so what grade do you use?
Old 02-27-2019, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And will it be fine if I run the sc with the underdrive pulley kit. I've been trying to research on that for a minute and I've gotten no results
Old 02-27-2019, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

11:1 won't be an issue as long as it's tuned correctly. My stock F20B is 11:1 also and making almost 400whp. Low compression + boost is a thing of the past. The absolute max you'll likely see on that supercharger is ~300whp or less so look at some fuel system calculators and figure out what you need. Take that 300whp figure as a generous rough estimate assuming you push everything hard and can actually get the belt to stop slipping at high rpm.

I think the oil you're referring to may be Rotella? If so that stuff works really well and holds up to a lot of abuse. It's a diesel oil. I ran the synthetic blend 10w30 in all my turbo setups for many years.

Maybe someone else will chime in with an answer to your underdrive question. Honestly I wouldn't worry about that and just leave the pulleys stock.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks for the info. Yeah I was wondering because I got the pulley kit because I was just planning on going stock with bolt ons and pulley kit but then I bought the supercharger and it already comes with 450cc injectors and 255 fuel pump and I keep seeing on forums where people say they run 750cc to about 1200cc injectors with e85 fuel.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the underdrive pulley will lower the boost. The underdrive pulley is also NOT a harmonic damper, and WILL damage your engine. Do not use it.

If you want to run e85, you need a pump and injectors that are e85 compatible. AEM sells a 320 or 340 pump that is compatible, and ID 1050x injectors are as well. And this combo will more than support a jrsc setup on e85
Old 02-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

Default Re: New to Superchargers on the H22: Hmmm..where to start on my questions.

^^This.

450cc injectors are way too small for E85. 300whp is approaching their limit on pump gas. You will need 750cc+, 1000cc will give you some room to grow.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:36 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: New to Superchargers on the H22: Hmmm..where to start on my questions.

Originally Posted by Aradin
^^This.

450cc injectors are way too small for E85. 300whp is approaching their limit on pump gas. You will need 750cc+, 1000cc will give you some room to grow.
Remind the OP that these are Bosch style injectors that are recommended for the larger sizes Those are high Z injectors you want. The 450cc are low Z which require a resistor box to work
Old 02-28-2019, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Yea don't run that Under drive crap crank pulley! use a OEM harmonic balancer or a ATI or Fluidamper pulley, stay away from brands like Unorthadox crank pulleys they will destroy the engine real soon.
Make sure the engine is tuned properly your compression will be fine.
I would go with ID 1,000 cc injectors and a AEM E85 compatible fuel pump like suggested.
Methanol injection or small shot of NOS will aid in keeping the IAT's down if you are using a JRSC SC, if its a centrifugal SC like a Procharger or Vortech they are Air to Air intercooled like a turbo setup and do not have these temp issues.

Remember SC's don't have a 6psi pulley or 9psi they are measured in its diameter, so your so called 6psi might make more or less than 6psi, other factors play a role in how much boost your engine will make, change the camshafts, exhaust, intake manifolds or anything on that motor, the gauges will be reading differently. – describing a pulley as a “6 pound pulley” is meaningless.

A lot of people believe the boost gauge measures supercharger output. It doesn't. The boost gauge measures pressure. Pressure is caused by a restriction to flow. The engine is that restriction to flow.
While the supercharger is spinning and making up air, the engine is also running and inhaling, and the boost gauge only shows the remainder. In other words: The boost gauge only shows WHAT'S LEFT after the engine consumes what it can.

Supercharger output MINUS engine consumption = what's left to display on the gauge.

Sometimes we get a call from an enthusiast who has just added headers, or cams, or a larger intake and now sees his boost gauge is lower than it used to be. They call thinking they did something wrong. Quite the opposite – they have removed restrictions to air flow in their motor, and although the supercharger is producing as much air as it did before, the engine can now use more of it. The HP of this engine has gone up, and the boost gauge will have gone down.

Read up in this link I shared and read the FAQ there is allot of info there! and also check here to use the Impeller calculator to determine your impeller speeds vs the pulley size you are using.
https://928motorsports.com/services/selectingpulley.php
Old 03-01-2019, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
11:1 won't be an issue as long as it's tuned correctly. My stock F20B is 11:1 also and making almost 400whp. Low compression + boost is a thing of the past. The absolute max you'll likely see on that supercharger is ~300whp or less so look at some fuel system calculators and figure out what you need. Take that 300whp figure as a generous rough estimate assuming you push everything hard and can actually get the belt to stop slipping at high rpm.

I think the oil you're referring to may be Rotella? If so that stuff works really well and holds up to a lot of abuse. It's a diesel oil. I ran the synthetic blend 10w30 in all my turbo setups for many years.

Maybe someone else will chime in with an answer to your underdrive question. Honestly I wouldn't worry about that and just leave the pulleys stock.
will the rotella 10w30 work on my rebuilt h22?
Old 03-01-2019, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also purchased a 2" pulley for the sc for down the road mods. But was wondering if I'm able to run it on the type s pistons stock h22 setup or is it more for the more modded setup?
Old 03-01-2019, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will the rotella 10w30 work on my rebuilt h22?
yes, but rotella has recently changed their formula and the oil is nowhere near as good as it used to be. The ONLY oil I suggest using in any honda if you want quality oil is Mobil1 Extended Performance or Valvoline VR1. They both have much higher zddp content, which is required for honda style valvetrains.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also purchased a 2" pulley for the sc for down the road mods. But was wondering if I'm able to run it on the type s pistons stock h22 setup or is it more for the more modded setup?
A " 2" " pulley is only going to increase boost unless the pulley you have is smaller then the boost might drop.. Just make sure you don't,
# 1 over rev the SC using a small pulley like a 2'' pulley you speak of ect.. This is why you have to get the info needed and use the calculator on the link I shared and see where the SC maxes out vs Engine RPM so you stay in the safe zone and don't blow up the SC, hell you could use a 1'' pulley but make sure you know where to set the redline on the engine. Like with my SC when I used this calculator I realized I was over reving my SC a few hundred RPM! I quickly set a new engine redline rpm of 7,800 rpm vs the 8,200 rpm I had!
# 2 Make sure you tune the engine asap..Doesn't matter how modded the engine is as long as its tuned properly you can still use a stock engine.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok sounds good. Thank you for all the help
Old 03-07-2019, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

What pulley does this replace ??? There are many different points on the supercharger drive assembly to increase/decrease boost... and going bigger or smaller in pulley size WILL depend on which of these pulleys are replaced if your intention is to increase boost.

Be more specific as to which pulley you have... posting a picture is even more helpful.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's the snout pulley it's a 2" high boost pulley
Old 03-11-2019, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

I don't think a 2" snout pulley will fit on a Prelude kit.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Remind the OP that these are Bosch style injectors that are recommended for the larger sizes Those are high Z injectors you want. The 450cc are low Z which require a resistor box to work
am I able to use rc injectors with e85 fuel? Is there any other brand of injectors I can use for e85?
Old 03-16-2019, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

am I able to use rc injectors with e85 fuel? Is there any other brand of injectors I can use for e85?
ID (injector dynamics) injectors are e85 compatible. So are FID and FIC.
RC injectors are not E85 compatible, but they will work for a year or so before needing professional cleaning. I strongly suggest NOT using RC injectors though; they have a terrible spray pattern and are quite inconsistent. They use 20 year old technology. My personal advice is to just go straight for ID1050x injectors if you plan to run E85.
Also make sure whatever fuel pump you get is e85 compatible as well. AEM makes a nice 340lph e85 compatible pump, but it requires a relay kit due to the amperage draw.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I got the 320 If that's still good. And where do you get the relay kit at?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I got the 320 If that's still good. And where do you get the relay kit at?
The AEM 320 is good only if it's the green and black one that is e85 compatible.
For the relay kit, just google "fuel pump relay kit". Wiring specialties, painless performance, xenocron, and many others make kits. Or you can make your own using 12ga wire and a 20amp-40amp relay. Pretty simple to install too. Just install the relay somewhere in the car near the sending unit, run a 12ga wire (and fuse or circuit breaker) from the battery to the relay (pin 30 or 87), and 12ga from relay (87 or 30) to + side of pump. 12ga wire from - side of pump to chassis ground. Use the stock fuel pump wiring as the trigger wires to the relay (pins 85 and 86, polarity doesn't matter).
Old 03-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
The AEM 320 is good only if it's the green and black one that is e85 compatible.
For the relay kit, just google "fuel pump relay kit". Wiring specialties, painless performance, xenocron, and many others make kits. Or you can make your own using 12ga wire and a 20amp-40amp relay. Pretty simple to install too. Just install the relay somewhere in the car near the sending unit, run a 12ga wire (and fuse or circuit breaker) from the battery to the relay (pin 30 or 87), and 12ga from relay (87 or 30) to + side of pump. 12ga wire from - side of pump to chassis ground. Use the stock fuel pump wiring as the trigger wires to the relay (pins 85 and 86, polarity doesn't matter).

Check this out, ill be ordering one for my car soon when I buy there E85 kit,

https://www.burton-racing.com/collec...mp-upgrade-kit

https://www.burton-racing.com/collec...-flex-fuel-kit
Old 03-18-2019, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Check this out, ill be ordering one for my car soon when I buy there E85 kit,

https://www.burton-racing.com/collec...mp-upgrade-kit

https://www.burton-racing.com/collec...-flex-fuel-kit
Yup, those will work. The fuel pump harness is a little misleading though. They claim it will bump fuel pump voltage up to 14.15 volts. This is false, it does not amplify voltage to the fuel pump. It will send whatever voltage the charging system has to your fuel pump. So if the car only has 13.7 volts, the fuel pump will see 13.7 volts. It is a quality harness though, and truly plug and play. I suggest bolting the power wire to the battery though, not the fusebox.

Quick Reply: New to Superchargers on the H22: Hmmm..where to start on my questions.