Notices

Wiring diagram? Mpfi swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mpfi swap demons

yes I searched

just wondering if there is a decent wiring diagram out there? Didn’t really see a legible one on here. The Haynes manual is worthless. Only has the 3rd gen diagram.

i did a mpfi swap on my 1991 std, and I have no power to my injectors. There’s power at a13 and a15, which are supposed to power the injectors. There’s power at the main relay. The main relay clicks twice.

I would REALLY just like to look at a decent diagram before I get much more confused.

i took the two yellow and black wires and bundled them together, and soldered them into the power wire that runs into the resistor box. There’s no power to either of those yellow and black wires that used to power the DPFI injectors in the old setup. I’m running a pm6 Ecu. Both mpfi swap tutorials I used said to do just what I described.

So... without a diagram I can’t really tell what’s happening between the ecu a13 and 15, the relay, the big passenger side connector which goes to those two injector power wires. I’d rather not just run a wire straight to the ecu from the resistor box, seems kinda ghetto.

what do y’all think?

Last edited by 1999AZhatch; 01-22-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring diagram? Mpfi swap

just buy a dpfi to mpfi conversion harness ... countless companies make them now EX: Monotech on ebay and they arent expensive
Old 01-21-2019, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok-

so- if I jump terminals 5 and 7 coming out of the main relay I get power to the injectors. I’ve tried 3 main relays, no luck. I’ve tried the fuses, they’re all good.

If I’m getting power to the injectors when I bypass the relay, it’s not the engine harness that I just modified. It’s something between the ecu and the relay.

is there a good wiring diagram for the Ef out there?

The only one one I can find is on a sketchy website called fundonkey.com that wants my credit card number.

I dont really expect anyone anyone to care about my wiring issues, but maybe someone could help with a source to a diagram
Old 01-21-2019, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got a clue-

hooked up a test light to power at the injector clip. It won’t turn on like it should- while cranking it or with key on engine off. Like i said.

The light will come on at an injector clip when the wires are jumped at the relay. Voltmeter is then at around 12v.

HOWEVER

***I noticed that the test light will come on while the pump is priming and then turn back off.****

the injectors are only getting power when the pump is on. Or at least only when priming when the key is initially turned on. Then they turn back off.

keep in mind: I ONLY changed the engine bay harness: and switched the pins at the ecu EXACTLY as layed out in various tutorials on this forum and on YouTube. I’ve triple checked everything. I’ve removed the engine harness and unwrapped it and checked everything. The engine harness is fine. Honestly it’s a straightforward swap.

does it sound like it could be the used pm6 ecu I bought? Or is there something else I’m not seeing.
also the ecu is flashing a code 20, (20 short blinks) ELD code.

Ive double checked all grounds.

Thanks!

Seth

Old 01-22-2019, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Found this one for the CRX SI/RT4WD wagon pretty easily. Better than nothing. See if you can look at a Chilton manual - iirc wiring diagrams in that were much better than Haynes.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe the injectors run through the main relay. When I did my mpfi swap I ran all 5 wires for the injectors (1 power, 4 ground) directly to the ecu and have no issues at all.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:54 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Not sure if it will help, but here are some notes from my MPFI swap. Note the Microsoft Excel attachment.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post51772630
Old 01-22-2019, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everybody! Worked on it again today

The car will start if you spray brake clean down the tb.

As stated- no power from main relay to driver side connector/injectors. Tried a few relays.

they do have power if I use a jumper wire at the relay connector. This is stupefying because the car ran before- therefore if there was supposed to be power here then there WAS before the swap~~~ BUT I NEVER touched this part of the harness. I’m going to check the ignition switch tomorrow.

even when jumped and the injectors hot, the engine won’t start still! But will start with starter fluid still.

there is ground continuity between the ecu ground pins and the chassis.

There is voltage between the injector signal wires and ground. (A1 a3, a5, a7) should there be? I thought these were the pins through which the ecu grounded the injectors.

I no longer have any codes at the ecu.

i have fuel in my fuel lines.

Something else I find confusing- according to the wiring diagram- the injectors clearly share their power source with the fuel pump. So it makes sense that my injectors only get power when the pump is priming, and then they would theoretically be hot along with the pump when the engine is cranking or actually running. Yet everyone is stating that the injectors should have power anytime the ignition is on. This is strange.

Tomorrow im going to take the fuel rail off and see what’s going on with the injectors. I may try and get a noid light. I may go to a junkyard and just get a bunch of parts to load my shotgun instead of using proper diagnosis.

so to recap- I have spark. For some reason I don’t have 12v to my injectors. I can get 12v to my injectors but the car won’t start still. I have ground. I have continuity between all injector wires.

what is going on here
Old 01-23-2019, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999AZhatch
As stated- no power from main relay to driver side connector/injectors.
For dpfi, the fuel injector resistors and injectors get voltage from the fuel pump wire.

For mpfi, the fuel injector resistors and injectors get voltage from main relay pin 3 (Yel/Black wire).

even when jumped and the injectors hot, the engine won’t start still! But will start with starter fluid still.

there is ground continuity between the ecu ground pins and the chassis.
There is voltage between the injector signal wires and ground. (A1 a3, a5, a7) should there be?
This^ would improperly cause the fuel injectors to spray fuel constantly.

Something else I find confusing- according to the wiring diagram- the injectors clearly share their power source with the fuel pump. So it makes sense that my injectors only get power when the pump is priming, and then they would theoretically be hot along with the pump when the engine is cranking or actually running.
Again, for mpfi, the fuel injector resistors and injectors get voltage from main relay pin 3 (Yel/Black wire).

Old 01-23-2019, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yer doing it wrong... $230 shipped and have everything plug up and work the first time and tucked ? yes please ... work smart not hard
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DPFI-to...jyTF:rk:1:pf:0
Old 01-23-2019, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for everybody’s responses. I’ve determined that the injectors aren’t open all the time. With and without the relay jumped, I can get each injector to open by grounding it for a second. I made a noid light out of a test light. The injectors aren’t getting a signal to open from the ecu. Like I said, I can get each one to open manually. So what are some reasons for the ecu to not send those signals?

I double checked my distributor pinout- it’s correct. And I have a new distributor for a d16a6.

i have continuity between the injector pins at the ecu and the injectors. They’re all in the right order.

And yes, the dx gets its injector power from the pump, like I thought. But both get their power through the main relay. I’ve never heard of anyone having to repin or depin a main relay for a mpfi swap so.. I’m still mystified about that one.

and I was confused about the pins a1-a7 having power, they have current AVAILABLE but it’s not grounded.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:36 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

then you ECU is probably not grounded properly.OR your ECU is toast.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Not sure if it will help, but here are some notes from my MPFI swap. Note the Microsoft Excel attachment.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-.../#post51772630
this write up is pretty cool, man. I like that it’s all color coded.

so I just rechecked every pin at the ecu that’s supposed to be ground and they all check out.

Im going to go out on a limb here and assume it’s either the used ecu or the eBay dizzy I bought.

Wish me luck, I’ll report back.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

So what are some reasons for the ecu to not send those signals?

and I was confused about the pins a1-a7 having power, they have current AVAILABLE but it’s not grounded.
The injectors won't fire if ECU connector pin A2 or A4 lacks continuity to body ground.

Last edited by muellersfan; 01-23-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:39 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

this write up is pretty cool, man. I like that it’s all color coded.

so I just rechecked every pin at the ecu that’s supposed to be ground and they all check out.

Im going to go out on a limb here and assume it’s either the used ecu or the eBay dizzy I bought.

Wish me luck, I’ll report back.
Ah - a distributor could do it too.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:11 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

or the eBay dizzy I bought.
My money is on this. I've had very poor luck with the cheap distributors. Thanks for the props on the sheet.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just waiting for a distributor to show up in the mail. Found another ecu and swapped it out, still no go.

Hypothetically- if the cyp or ckp were bad in the distributor, wouldn’t I get a code 4 or code 9? Or is it possible that someone just installed something wrong at a factory but the wiring is complete as to not throw a code?

Does anyone have any experience on this?

If anyone needs a pm6 let me know lol
Old 01-25-2019, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thermostat ground ?
Old 05-15-2020, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I stumbled upon this old thread while attempting to search for something else.

I solved this a while back.

Would just like to tell everyone doing a similar swap how easy it is to do something stupid.

I was improperly checking for power/ground at the injectors and over thinking waaayyyy to much. Which ended up being a learning experience.

the reason the injectors weren’t firing is because I WAS USING THE WRONG FUEL RAIL.

There is a fuel rail that has a hole in the side of the fitting right where the banjo goes, and there’s a fuel rail that has the hole on the very end.

I was using the second type of fuel rail, meant to be used with some sort of diaphragm at the end, but it was just capped off and fuel wasn’t getting to the rail.

Very stupid mistake but I thought I would put it out there for future noobs.