Notices

Question about honing a cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about honing a cylinder

I have a 1991 Honda Civic Sedan DX 1.L. I need to do a tear down cause i am burning oil. No leaks. I have replaced the PCV valve. I am assuming the piston or piston rings. Anyway i know honing is delicate work so i was thinking using a flex hone 400 grit or 600 grit. Any thoughts? Should i go lower or higher grit?
Old 01-11-2019, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Question about honing a cylinder

this probably belongs in "Engine Machining & Assembly"

I've used flex hones on D-series and F-series with good results. they're easy to use and it's really all about visual inspection. if it looks good it should work fine. I'll take a look and see what grit i used and update later today.

for oil consumption from worn or stuck rings (clogged with carbon/sludge) just as important as the hone job is getting the pistons thoroughly cleaned. I have first hand experience with B-12 Chem dip and would recommend. soak them over night and they came out like new the next morning. i'm sure there are other similar products available too.

also confirm your cylinder bore taper and roundness with a dial bore gauge so you know you're working with an in-spec block.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

I've just recently learned a good deal about the honing process and **thought** it was simple. It isn't. Different rings require different finishes. Anything you do at home has a 50/50 chance of offering successful seating.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I've just recently learned a good deal about the honing process and **thought** it was simple. It isn't. Different rings require different finishes. Anything you do at home has a 50/50 chance of offering successful seating.
is there a source (article, video, book...) you can site where you learned about honing so we can all benefit from the info first hand?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by hondamark35
is there a source (article, video, book...) you can site where you learned about honing so we can all benefit from the info first hand?
That info came from the machine shop. If you buy a set of pistons; Arias, Wiseco, CP, etc, they will give you a sheet in regards to the proper method needed to hone the cylinders for adequate ring seating. I asked about this and was informed that they are quite specific and while you could just go buy a hone tool, this may or may not be sufficient. 50/50 chance of seat or no seat. Lol!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay thanks. I will buy the rings first from Hasting and get the sheet. Then buy the hone tool. Thanks guys.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
That info came from the machine shop. If you buy a set of pistons; Arias, Wiseco, CP, etc, they will give you a sheet in regards to the proper method needed to hone the cylinders for adequate ring seating. I asked about this and was informed that they are quite specific and while you could just go buy a hone tool, this may or may not be sufficient. 50/50 chance of seat or no seat. Lol!
CP has their install sheet PDF available on their website. you're right it's very specific! it even specifies not to use hand honing method (I would consider flex-hone or bottle hone a "hand" method). but that's understandable with high performance parts and applications.

I think for the OP who's engine is worth less than a set of those pistons... and most oil consumption correction/quick and dirty rebuilds, meeting the spec in the FSM for bore geometry, finish and hatch angle (achievable with a flex-hone and a reasonably priced bore gauge) and following a tried and true break-in procedure will ensure the rings are seated well enough.