Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Great Integra Type R article: From boy racer to modern collectible (Petrolicious)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Great Integra Type R article: From boy racer to modern collectible (Petrolicious)

https://petrolicious.com/articles/from-boy-racer-to-modern-collectible-the-first-honda-integra-type-r-is-the-one-to-get

Comments?
Old 12-27-2018, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Great Integra Type R article: From boy racer to modern collectible (Petrolicious

It's OK enough BPR, but doesn't tell us or even casual readers much. It also copies and pastes from all the other sources this:

These engines were reportedly ported and polished by hand, and the 8,400rpm redline provides some solid evidence to the fact. Other features of the Type R cars were a seam-welded and strengthened chassis.

The very early heads were, but pretty quickly they went mechanical(though Honda kept putting the polishing pic in their JDM catalogues). If you look at say an unmodified 98 head(wolrdwide) you should be able to see casting marks and no polishing. The car isn't seam welded either. There are extra spot welds and steel plating/bracing. Good pics though.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Great Integra Type R article: From boy racer to modern collectible (Petrolicious

Right I'm pretty sure the seam welding thing is a myth, that gets repeated so often that it is taken as fact.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dave7
Right I'm pretty sure the seam welding thing is a myth, that gets repeated so often that it is taken as fact.
That's exactly right, I've been saying that for a while. People really stretch the race car theme when talking about the Type R. The Type R chassis is not seam welded, like they do in true race cars . From what I've read it has extra seam sealer used along the seams, which does add some added stiffness, but nothing like seam welding. Glad to hear someone actually debunking this myth.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great read. This only does greater things for the Golden Era Honda market. Big name bloggers have been really putting the Integra Type R on a pedestal lately. Its the modern day 80's baby's 69 Camaro.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by Marky Mark
Great read. This only does greater things for the Golden Era Honda market. Big name bloggers have been really putting the Integra Type R on a pedestal lately. Its the modern day 80's baby's 69 Camaro.
Ugh that name is so stupid. Just call it 88-00 Civics/94-01 integra .
Old 01-18-2019, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dave7
Holy crap this is me. I thought they were seam welded this entire time. I can't believe I learned a new Type-R fact today after all these years.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Understandable Milano, it's repeated pretty much everywhere there's an article on the model. It's also said of the JDM only EK9 Civic R and haven't seen evidence of that either and I knew two examples pretty well back in the day. Same goes for the "ported and polished by hand" stuff. Honda themselves continued to promote that as a thing all the way through the run in the Japanese market brochures.

Having stripped a couple R's down to the bones( EDM/JDM examples) and a non R 1.6 JDM(I got a completely rust free set of rear arches from that, just in case...), there are more welds on the R. In a few places the spot welds are closer together. They also look more "hand made". There are also thicker panels around the rear suspension points(IIRC there are other thicker pressings elsewhere) and you have the bolt on bracing on top of all that, so it's definitely stiffer than the base Integra chassis. For its era it was a pretty stiff chassis.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ****
Understandable Milano, it's repeated pretty much everywhere there's an article on the model. It's also said of the JDM only EK9 Civic R and haven't seen evidence of that either and I knew two examples pretty well back in the day. Same goes for the "ported and polished by hand" stuff. Honda themselves continued to promote that as a thing all the way through the run in the Japanese market brochures.

Having stripped a couple R's down to the bones( EDM/JDM examples) and a non R 1.6 JDM(I got a completely rust free set of rear arches from that, just in case...), there are more welds on the R. In a few places the spot welds are closer together. They also look more "hand made". There are also thicker panels around the rear suspension points(IIRC there are other thicker pressings elsewhere) and you have the bolt on bracing on top of all that, so it's definitely stiffer than the base Integra chassis. For its era it was a pretty stiff chassis.
Wow even more Type-R facts today. Extra spot welds should be able to be added to any integra but thicker panels cannot. I would say that is a larger difference that should be advertised. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-20-2019, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah I can't remember where I saw it, but years ago I did come across an official Honda illustration pointing out where the thicker panels were on the rear of the car to reinforce the chassis.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's in the brochures, and someone translated it here:

Old 01-21-2019, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep that's the one! Wow thanks for posting that. I haven't seen that since the year I bought my Integra and was just starting to learn about them. It's weird to think that Honda was still pushing the seamless welds myth while still officially illustrating the reinforced chassis and how the ITR was actually made stiffer vs the other Integras.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:18 AM
too old for school

Originally Posted by jdmark1
Yep that's the one! Wow thanks for posting that. I haven't seen that since the year I bought my Integra and was just starting to learn about them. It's weird to think that Honda was still pushing the seamless welds myth while still officially illustrating the reinforced chassis and how the ITR was actually made stiffer vs the other Integras.
I don’t think Honda actually advertised “seam welding” on the ITR, or at least I’ve never seen that on official brochures but I could be wrong. I think other people (i.e., bloggers) made that up or generalized it as such from having seen “stiffer chassis” in brochures.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ff terror

I don’t think Honda actually advertised “seam welding” on the ITR, or at least I’ve never seen that on official brochures but I could be wrong. I think other people (i.e., bloggers) made that up or generalized it as such from having seen “stiffer chassis” in brochures.
Or was it from a Best Motoring video? I'll have to rewatch them.