Notices

Suggestions needed: Adjustable fuel pressure regulator for boost application

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Suggestions needed: Adjustable fuel pressure regulator for boost application

Ok so.. THIS is what I get for trying to follow in some cool footsteps on a build and get stuck having to buy something I otherwise wouldn't have needed. As luck would have it, I get an AEM fuel rail along with a filter conversion/relocation that will not work with my stock FPR. So I have no option but to upgrade. I've been researching for the last couple hours and find a good deal of crap, mixed with the usual bias, sprinkled with elitism.. What info I found leads me to 3 possible options...

1- AEM regulator. This is suggested mostly because it's a shoo-in fitmentwise, but, I read lots of diaphragm issues caused this little piggy to **** the bed. Has AEM done anything to fix this over the last 9 years? Is it legitimately a good option now?

2- Blox regulator. Priced between the AEM and Aeromotive, there were mixed reviews on this one and not many good, detailed failure reports; most just stated "had it for x time and it crapped out on me." I also know Blox indeed HAS come a good way in the last decade.

3- Aeromotive regulator. A bit more costly and certainly a good track record of quality. This is also a unit that generally doesn't see much service below 700hp. So I would be killing a mouse with a shotgun making this choice. If it is TRULY worth it and I'm not just going overkill, I'm not opposed to grabbing one.

Solid input please, personal experience is always a plus.
Thanks all!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts
Default re: Suggestions needed: Adjustable fuel pressure regulator for boost application

I’m using a Holley performance external FMU 1to1 and it’s always worked well

Old 12-18-2018, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Suggestions needed: Adjustable fuel pressure regulator for boost application

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
I’m using a Holley performance external FMU 1to1
have a part# or anything I may be able to reference?
I think Blox and the Aeromotive offer 1:1 for boost. Not sure about the aem.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
have a part# or anything I may be able to reference?
I think Blox and the Aeromotive offer 1:1 for boost. Not sure about the aem.
look at some of the photos I posted not long ago in my build thread, there was a pretty good photo of it bolted to my firewall while the motor was out, I. Sure they have changed models since mine. I’ll see if I can find the replacement for you
Old 12-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-846

this would probably be the newer version of mine
Old 12-18-2018, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/12-846

this would probably be the newer version of mine
sweet, thanks for that! I'd need to inquire about the AEM rail compatibility. I'm also wanting to go berserk with converting my fuel lines to the AN braided. *shrug*
Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet, thanks for that! I'd need to inquire about the AEM rail compatibility. I'm also wanting to go berserk with converting my fuel lines to the AN braided. *shrug*
here is the Honda direct fit version https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/512-506
my rail don’t have a spot for a regulator, I must use a external one. Does you AEM rail have a spot for the factory one? We have a awesome place in my town that makes custom lines for about anything, I just take them a fitting and they adapt to what I need and make custom lengths
Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my rail don’t have a spot for a regulator, I must use a external one. Does you AEM rail have a spot for the factory one?
it does but my stock regulator won't fit. If it were offset, no problem, but my flange is not offset.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I’m sure they built it to fit they’re on then? I see that it does offer the Fitting to use a external FMU, you would need to use a block off plate on the rail if you went that route
Old 12-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I’m sure they built it to fit there on then? I see that it does offer the Fitting to use a external FMU, you would need to use a block off plate on the rail if you want that route
yeah, I have some options for a regulator. Narrowed to the 3 more popular choices. I didn't think about Holley though, only actually saw it in a handful of mentions.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, I have some options for a regulator. Narrowed to the 3 more popular choices. I didn't think about Holley though, only actually saw it in a handful of mentions.
Holley performance is built here where I live and they build solid products, these regulators are used on some serious muscle cars and are proven products and are a very universal item. Most import people don’t think about Holley performance when it comes to anything other than domestic builds.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Just get a y8 fpr. I've always preferred stock fpr's over aftermarket. They are much more reliable and you should have plenty of fuel at the stock 43.5psi fuel pressure if you sized your injectors right.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
Just get a y8 fpr. I've always preferred stock fpr's over aftermarket. They are much more reliable and you should have plenty of fuel at the stock 43.5psi fuel pressure if you sized your injectors right.
750cc injectors
Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holley performance is built here where I live and they build solid products, these regulators are used on some serious muscle cars and are proven products and are a very universal item. Most import people don’t think about Holley performance when it comes to anything other than domestic builds.
Funny you say that, because, the fact it's a Civic is the reason I never thought Holley. Lol!!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

I have a direct fit Honda Holley FPR on my supercharged car. I have used it for over ten years... I had an AEM FPR for the first 60 miles of my engine build... the diaphragm split and dumped raw fuel into the intake manifold damaging the engine. I would never use an AEM FPR for a boosted application.

The EK factory FPR will work with the fuel rail that you have... if you choose to use a stock one.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:49 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Good to know the EK one will fit. I was going to ask if you had thought about using the Golden Eagle part that turns the FPR 90-degrees? http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/index....roducts_id=231
Old 12-19-2018, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

3- Aeromotive regulator. A bit more costly and certainly a good track record of quality. This is also a unit that generally doesn't see much service below 700hp. So I would be killing a mouse with a shotgun making this choice. If it is TRULY worth it and I'm not just going overkill, I'm not opposed to grabbing one.

Solid input please, personal experience is always a plus.
Thanks all!
Aeromotive never look back. Its what I have and its rock solid reliable always. Sub 700 builds have them all the time. Definitely not overkill, just quality. Yes you'll have to remote mount it but generally pretty easy.

AEM quality is sub par from my experience, electronics or otherwise. And I don't really like the style of regulator that mounts to the fuel rail because it limits what size line you can run (only 1/8th port on the AEM rail IIRC)
Old 12-19-2018, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

96-00 Y series regulators have offset holes (so does the GSR and S2000 if I remember correctly) if you are wanting to just keep a OEM regulator (or get one for pennies on the dollar in comparison).

The most common reg. used here is Aeromotive off rail.

Golden Eagle rotators are for center port regulators.

The only issue I've ever experienced with AEM regulators is the inability to work on high pressure apps (ie. 2 fuel pumps)...as in I've had one work perfectly fine on a single pump, swapped to 2 pumps and the regulator may as well not have even been there. Took that regulator off and put it on another single pump build, worked perfectly fine. (The 2 pump car received a bolt in Aeromotive, which is also offset hole, #13115)
Old 12-19-2018, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
I have a direct fit Honda Holley FPR on my supercharged car. I have used it for over ten years... I had an AEM FPR for the first 60 miles of my engine build... the diaphragm split and dumped raw fuel into the intake manifold damaging the engine. I would never use an AEM FPR for a boosted application.

The EK factory FPR will work with the fuel rail that you have... if you choose to use a stock one.
Only reason I'm looking away from stock is my end goal is 500-600whp. I'm on par with everything so far except Injectors and the CSS block. I wanted to grab my turbo kit as well, but still only received about 1/3 of what was due to me from Uncle Sam.. I'm piecing together what I can until that happens or tax return, whichever occurs first.

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Aeromotive never look back. Its what I have and its rock solid reliable always. Sub 700 builds have them all the time. Definitely not overkill, just quality. Yes you'll have to remote mount it but generally pretty easy.

AEM quality is sub par from my experience, electronics or otherwise. And I don't really like the style of regulator that mounts to the fuel rail because it limits what size line you can run (only 1/8th port on the AEM rail IIRC)
Good insight! I was thinking Aeromotive or Blox (looks like Blox has followed Aero's footsteps there).

Originally Posted by Autoworks
96-00 Y series regulators have offset holes (so does the GSR and S2000 if I remember correctly) if you are wanting to just keep a OEM regulator (or get one for pennies on the dollar in comparison).

The most common reg. used here is Aeromotive off rail.

Golden Eagle rotators are for center port regulators.

The only issue I've ever experienced with AEM regulators is the inability to work on high pressure apps (ie. 2 fuel pumps)...as in I've had one work perfectly fine on a single pump, swapped to 2 pumps and the regulator may as well not have even been there. Took that regulator off and put it on another single pump build, worked perfectly fine. (The 2 pump car received a bolt in Aeromotive, which is also offset hole, #13115)
The stock is always an option as I go to the junkyard fairly often, usually once a month anyways, but as I mentioned earlier; ultimately I'm building to surpass stock capabilities this round so I'm looking to bigger n better!

I look toward the AEM for simplicity installing. That's about it. On paper, It should do ok for my goal, just drumming up some new insight. You're a builder as well and I'll definitely take your insight into consideration on this!
Old 12-19-2018, 05:30 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningTeg

^^^Co-Sign. Been on the Same Aeromotive for 13 years. Never worried, never looked back, never bothered about all that nonsense. And I was well under 500whp at the time. Y'all play too many games gettin' cheap.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
^^^Co-Sign. Been on the Same Aeromotive for 13 years. Never worried, never looked back, never bothered about all that nonsense. And I was well under 500whp at the time. Y'all play too many games gettin' cheap.
Its not like they're that expensive either.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Adjustable fuel pressure regulator for boost application

Well I am one of those who suffered from a aem diaphragm failing and hydrolocking my engine. Im not aware of a resolution. I have a automotive now that I upgraded my lines but I had been using a b&m regulator that fits into a modified oem for 2 years with no issues
Old 12-19-2018, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suggestions needed: Adjustable fuel pressure regulator for boost application

So looks like installing the Aeromotive will be simple enough, I'll just need another plug for the regulator port on the fuel rail. I suppose I can put in a call to AEM to get that part number.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:28 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Suggestions needed: Adjustable fuel pressure regulator for boost application

So looks like installing the Aeromotive will be simple enough, I'll just need another plug for the regulator port on the fuel rail. I suppose I can put in a call to AEM to get that part number.
You can call, but you're not out of luck if you don't get an answer that is acceptable to you. (I doubt if they remember, anyway). Get that port measured at a fittings shop or McMaster. Measure and solve. Then you KNOW what you have for certain. It's not exotic, it's just AEM. They rebadge a LOT of stuff that was never initially their design.

Last edited by TheShodan; 12-19-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You can call, but you're not out of luck if you don't get an answer that is acceptable to you. (I doubt if they remember, anyway). Get that port measured at a fittings shop or McMaster. Measure and solve. Then you KNOW what you have for certain. It's not exotic, it's just AEM. They rebadge a LOT of stuff that was never initially their design.
I think I saw a package of the hardware you get with a new rail on the AEM site. It **should** contain the grub screw that is used to plug the gauge/accessory port that's not in use. Aeromotive will require a separate purchase for the gauge since it doesn't come with one.. I can install the gauge in that particular port on the rail and just use that screw that came with the rail to close the regulator port..
methinks I've solved my dilemma. Lol

Found the info. It's 1/8 NPT, by the way.

Last edited by TheShodan; 12-19-2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Added information from different post for efficiency

Quick Reply: Suggestions needed: Adjustable fuel pressure regulator for boost application