Notices
Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

???? Sudden high idle 87 accord 2.0 carburated

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???? Sudden high idle 87 accord 2.0 carburated

Hello, heres where I am at... Had to replace distributor O-ring. Also figured since I was there I may as well do the internal one as well. Car started no problem upon putting everything back together. Figured it would be prudent to get a timing light on it as I doubt the timing held exactly upon reinstalling distributor, but it seemed, and felt like it was pretty close. I drove it here and there while I searched for a light to borrow.....

Couple days later .... I get on it a bit (nothing crazy), to make a light... And now idle RPM is 2500-3k at temp.

As I know this can be many things.. I dont know if ita coincidence or not that I just had distributor out and apart. I also dont want to be adjusting idle screws, or fuel mixtures etc. Just to have to put them back when I find the cause.

First step.. Check timing.. But at 3k ... How correct is that gonna be?? Any insight as to what I may javw done, or the best order to oroceed would be appreciated. Maybe use an advance light and set it at the high end??

I need my car back.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ???? Sudden high idle 87 accord 2.0 carburated

Vac leak , either a hose is off somewhere (like million vac lines) or the carb is toast, probbb not related to timing
Old 12-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been hunting for a vacuum line, and so far no culprit. I havent grabbed the spray bottle yet either. Has all been visual. Are there tests I can run on the carb., or components related to it to pass/fail it? Such as the vacuum advance, or dashpot, etc? Not really in a position to just replace the carb., or have time to learn to rebuild it.
I would also still like to make sure my dist. Install didnt throw timing off.... If it was even correct to begin with. Just replaced the timing belt recently and never put a light on it.
Trying to find this is horribly annoying at those RPM's. Can I make a major carb adjustment in one place to calm it down some while I search/diagnose?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id ditch 100% of the vacuum other than for the advance and put a Weber 32/36 on it
Old 12-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im gonna guess the weber is a carburetor. While I do appreciate the thoughts on bettering the vehicle, my immediate need is having it functional enough to be its point A/B self again.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder_1
Im gonna guess the weber is a carburetor. While I do appreciate the thoughts on bettering the vehicle, my immediate need is having it functional enough to be its point A/B self again.
best guess, is that your distributor was installed advanced by a notch... this is what happen when you increase the timing, the idle speed will go up.

Put some felt mark on the distributor base and the engine block where the distributor is mounted, this will be your starting mark, then rotate the distributor to reduce advance, I can never remember which way it is on the Hondas... I suspect that clockwise will decrease advance, and the idle will go down, unless you have a loose vacuum hose...
Old 01-18-2019, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought this motor only had correct, and 180 out. When I couldnt find any loose or broken vacuum lines, I started testing different components. The first one was the vacuum advance. It failed. It did not kick the stater back under vacuum. As this part was no longer available alone, I was forced to buy a new distribitor. 150-500 dollars depending on which store I shoppedit at. Enter amazon prime. Found one for 50. Not until I had recieved it did I stumble upon the fact there were federal and CA emissions models. Needless to say I wasnt gonna send it back and pay the 110 they wanted for the correct one. My federal emissions car now has a CA emissions distributor, and seems to run fine. Well as fine as a car with 350,000 miles can.it has other things to be deakt with. The choke, and fast idle, or idle needs some adjusting, but I am notgonna sweat it. I focused next on the massive oil leak that ended up being the oil filter housing gasket. My car has attained its standard point A to B status again. I paid 600 for it 2 years ago, and am into it a tune up, distributor, distributoro-ring, alternator, battery, timing belt, and mentioned gasket. It has served me well, and it shall live out the remainder of its days with no regrets or negative comments from me. It has been a great car. I may even look for another motor to replace this one when the time comes.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Another motor?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finding another motor was meant to mean after the current one decides it wants to stop running. Not now. I have fixed the problems that have plagued me up to this point. It even threw a spark plug this morning. Luckily it didnt strip, but instead backed itself out till it jumped. Took me a while to figure out why I sounded like I had no exaust.