Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

99 CRV - Drivers power window stopped working and need help diag

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 CRV - Drivers power window stopped working and need help diag

Hey Honda tech! This is my first post from this account as I haven't needed to post in years and I forgot my old account.

I am currently driving a 99 CRV and while it isn't my dream Honda (91 Civic Hatch) it does the job for commuting and is great for work. Anyways this weekend my drivers side power window stopped working (while the window was closed thankfully) and I would like to fix it ASAP since I always drive with the window open. I suspect that it is the regulator motor since the window has been struggling a little lately and being the most used window that motor has been in use for almost 20 years. However before I go about replacing it I want to troubleshoot to make sure that is the problem.

So the window does nothing when I hit the switch but I can hear a little click from within the switch a split second after I hit it. I am assuming that it clicked like that when it worked but I can't remember as I never noticed it. I have taken off my door panel to try and inspect the regulator and motor but didn't pull them out as I didn't have the time this weekend. Before I buy a new regulator and motor I am curious as to what I can check and the easiest way to check it. I have a test light and a digital multi-meter, plus access to tools so I can do the repair myself, but I live in an apartment so my space to work on it is limited. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: 99 CRV - Drivers power window stopped working and need help diag

If you’ve got the door panel off go ahead and test the regulator - run some test leads from the battery directly to the regulator and see if it moves. You probably won’t even need a wiring diagram.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Smackin
If you’ve got the door panel off go ahead and test the regulator - run some test leads from the battery directly to the regulator and see if it moves. You probably won’t even need a wiring diagram.
Sorry for the late reply. I cant exactly do that as there is a cluster of leads to the motor. Without knowing which one is right I could cause a short which I would rather not do. I have been searching for a diagram of the switch harness wiring as I believe that the switch is the issue but I haven't been able to find one that labels the wires. Just electrical blueprints. Attached is a photo of the connector I am trying to find the color coding for
Old 10-15-2018, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Smackin
Hey sorry for the late reply. In the time since I posted I have been to the auto wrecker to try out a different switch and a different regulator motor. Neither worked. My fuses are also good. Also all the other windows work including when I hit the switches (this was also tested with the switches at the wrecker) I feel like I will need to check the wiring so any tips for that would be appreciated
Old 10-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely check the wiring like you said, even the connectors just to make sure.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EL Vap133
I would definitely check the wiring like you said, even the connectors just to make sure.
I finally got some time to check the wiring today. Found the wire with the break (Blue/red) however now I have to figure out how to fix it as the break is between the switch and the control box inside the door. Suggestions?
Old 10-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update. found the break in the umbilical connector and now attempting the fix
Old 10-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good news I have fixed the break. Bad news now my speaker isn't working and I will need to get in there again. Considering just buying a new harness new or from the wrecker, if anyone knows the part number that would be really handy.