Notices

Troubleshooting: 1991 Honda CRX won’t start for some reason

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: 1991 Honda CRX won’t start for some reason

I replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and distributor.. when i first bought the car it was misfiring a lot because oil was in the spark plugs and i could only drive it at 3k-4k RPMs. i decided to put the new parts on and when i did.. it started right up a few times.. and it sounded great! but then later on that day it wouldn’t start again.. but i tried a few different things and it started up again.. and i made sure it would start before i went to bed.. but i went out to start it this morning and it would just crank..... it did seem to idle very low when before and after test driving it yesterday. it was really close to 0 RPMs. it’s just mysterious that it would start up perfectly last night and not start up this morning. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i could definitely use the help. thank you!
Old 08-14-2018, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: Troubleshooting: 1991 Honda CRX won’t start for some reason

ok lets start here 1st

number 1 is the one closest to the timing belt
make sure those plug wires are in the right order

2nd
for the low idle problem
clean your throttle body
this can be done by just getting a rag and wiping the build up on the plate inside the throttle body
this will let more air into the motor and let it idle at a higher rpm about 200 higher

3rd that distributor you installed needs to be timed
if you want it to work right
now for that part you need something called a timing light
let me know if you want more info on this

im going to stop at those 3
try them and see what happens

good luck
Old 08-14-2018, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1- i know for sure that it’s not the spark plug wires.. i indeed made sure they were in the right firing order..

2- i’ve ruled out the distributor timing.. it started up fine when i first put the distributor on. i made sure to put it back at the same exact position of the old distributor by marking a line on the old one and measuring the length from one side to the line on the new distributor.

3- i’ll defintely try cleaning the throttle body tomorrow or the next day.. would that cause it to not start?

**Also... is there anymore solutions? i’ve checked the spark plugs.. the air filter.. and the it shouldn’t be the fuel pump.. i hear it coming on when i turn the key to the “on” position.. and the car never quit while i was driving down the road........ one more thing i can think of that i haven’t checked is a bad master relay.. but i’m not sure what else it could be. PLEASE HELP
Old 08-15-2018, 04:09 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by popthatclutch13
2- i’ve ruled out the distributor timing.. it started up fine when i first put the distributor on. i made sure to put it back at the same exact position of the old distributor by marking a line on the old one and measuring the length from one side to the line on the new distributor.
This doesn't matter. You should always set the ignition timing with a timing light when changing out the distributor.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
This doesn't matter. You should always set the ignition timing with a timing light when changing out the distributor.
how difficult is it to set the ignition timing with a timing light? maybe give me some tips on how to go about doing this. thank you!
Old 08-15-2018, 04:09 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

how difficult is it to set the ignition timing with a timing light? maybe give me some tips on how to go about doing this. thank you!
Very simple. Look up a how to vid on youtube.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0

Very simple. Look up a how to vid on youtube.
is there a way to do it with a test light? i do not have a timing light at the moment, but figured if there is an alternate way around it.. i could make it work.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

autozone has a timing light for 46 bucks
but they might even rent it out but im not sure on that

now the distributor timing CAN make it not start but your big problem is most likely somewhere else even with a dizzy out of time the car will still start but just run crappy

1st id start checking things like is it getting gas
and when i say that i mean remove a fuel line from the engine and see if gas is spraying out when you turn the key

2nd remove a spark plug wire one by one and with a screw driver get it close to one of the nuts on the valve cover and have someone
else crank the car over and see if you have spark

3rd check and make sure your ground wires are connected right
the valve cover and transmission ground

ill stop at those 3
good luck
dont give up on this youll get it running ^_-
Old 08-16-2018, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All spark aside if the car still isn't starting have you ever thought that you might have a bad idle air control valve? That's something that would go bad on these cars A LOT and it's old enough to where if it's never been replaced then that could be another issue.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:02 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Trinity
All spark aside if the car still isn't starting have you ever thought that you might have a bad idle air control valve? That's something that would go bad on these cars A LOT and it's old enough to where if it's never been replaced then that could be another issue.
True, based on the symptoms this may be an issue. But normally if bad IACV it will still try to start when cranking, but die as soon as you turn the key back from start. Should also start if giving it some throttle.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
True, based on the symptoms this may be an issue. But normally if bad IACV it will still try to start when cranking, but die as soon as you turn the key back from start. Should also start if giving it some throttle.

I would agree that it normally would do that. He is saying he had idling issues though and start and it would die. I'm just throwing out what it could possibly be.

Another option - is the dizzy brand new or did you buy a rebuilt one? Any codes being thrown on it? I always found that the ignitor in the dizzy would go bad on any of the old ones. It's a $40 part from Pep boys and takes about 20 mins to switch out.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would agree that it normally would do that. He is saying he had idling issues though and start and it would die. I'm just throwing out what it could possibly be.

Another option - is the dizzy brand new or did you buy a rebuilt one? Any codes being thrown on it? I always found that the ignitor in the dizzy would go bad on any of the old ones. It's a $40 part from Pep boys and takes about 20 mins to switch out.
ok so here’s what’s happening in a clarified version.

P.S.- the car started before i put all the parts on, but you would have to keep the throttle up or it would shut off.. like you would constantly have to drive at 3-4k rpms.. and it would smoke a lot.. so i knew it was definitely a valve cover gasket.. there was oil in the plugs.. and the distributor has never been changed, so i figured i’d change it while i was under the hood.

1- i put a brand new aftermarket distributor on.. new spark plug wires, new spark plugs, and a new valve cover gasket to fix the oil leak.

2- after i got everything put on.. the car started up like a normal car.. it NEVER DIED once while it was started or while i was driving it around.

3- i started it up a few times and then drove it some more. the engine sounded fine.. the transmission shifted good.. the only think i noticed was the rpms were very low when pulling up to a stop sign or sitting in the drive way idling.

4- i went out to start it the next morning.. NOTHING. it just cranks and cranks and cranks. i don’t understand. *crying emoji*
Old 08-16-2018, 09:35 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Does it attempt to start at all now if you give it throttle while cranking?
Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Does it attempt to start at all now if you give it throttle while cranking?
no it doesn’t.. i’ve tried that.. but i did take a spark plug out to look it over after i cranked it a few times.. i saw that there is definitely fuel going into there.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you definitely have spark in all cylinders?

( I'm still thinking it's IACV but what do girls know)
Old 08-16-2018, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you definitely have spark in all cylinders?

( I'm still thinking it's IACV but what do girls know)
haven’t checked them 100%. maybe i should tonight... who knows.. maybe they sent me some faulty spark plug wires. 🙄
Old 08-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i know for sure there’s no spark in the plug wires.. so i moved on to checking for spark in the coil. the 1991 model has no spring in the inside of the coil.. so i stuck a test light into the hole that was grounded to the negative battery terminal. hopefully that is the right way? i couldn’t find a video for the older type of distributors without the coil spring so i just guessed spark would jump from the inside of the coil cylinder where the metal is.... but anyways.. no spark there if that was the correct way of doing it... so then i checked the positive and negative terminals on the coil with the test light and it did not flash at all when my mom started the vehicle. (i hooked the snap to the positive terminal on the batter and put the prob on the negative terminal to check for a flashing light. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I DIDNT THAT WRONG) anyways... any suggestions now?
Old 08-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well good news everyone... the car is running.. and you will never guess what the problem was.. i bought a BRAND NEW distributor that was faulty.. my car actually didn’t NEED a new distributor.. thought i might just replace it for the heck of it. (since the one that was on there when i bought it looked kinda rough) but i put the old one back on and the car started up like it was new... it still idles really low but i noticed the tachometer is more compact than the later model 90s civics.. so maybe it is supposed to look like that? who knows.... it sounds good though! THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:13 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

well good news everyone... the car is running.. and you will never guess what the problem was.. i bought a BRAND NEW distributor that was faulty.. my car actually didn’t NEED a new distributor.. thought i might just replace it for the heck of it. (since the one that was on there when i bought it looked kinda rough) but i put the old one back on and the car started up like it was new... it still idles really low but i noticed the tachometer is more compact than the later model 90s civics.. so maybe it is supposed to look like that? who knows.... it sounds good though! THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP.
Was it one of the $50 distributors? I've had horrible luck with those...
Old 08-18-2018, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Was it one of the $50 distributors? I've had horrible luck with those...
yes lol