Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

I haven't started my itr in YEARS... what should I do before starting it?

Old 07-17-2018, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I haven't started my itr in YEARS... what should I do before starting it?

See title.

I parked it because we had a newborn and I didn't want to put her in the back with a rollbar in the car.

Fast forward years later: the old house is under contract to be sold and the new house (also under contract) is bigger and better with bigger garage.

That being said, what should I do or check before starting my itr for the first time in years?

I never put sta-bil in the tank before letting it sit...

It has less than half a tank of gas - should I just drain it?

I presume I should change oil and coolant as well.

A buddy of mine suggested I just fill the tank up with new gas and give her a crank - eek!

Last edited by Black R; 09-13-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:27 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: I haven't started my itr in YEARS... what should I do before starting it?

I would drain and refill the gas, and change the oil. Should be good enough to get it started.

Before driving much, I’d check out the condition of other fluids, belts, hoses and the like.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I haven't started my itr in YEARS... what should I do before starting it?

My py sat for over five years. I just changed the oil and lubed up the head. Cranked by hand a few times. It started right up and I drove it 1100 miles home. Car had half a tank of fuel as well. Didn’t drain the fuel. Not saying you shouldn’t.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch Vtec videos to get you excited.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Circulate the oil, before you start the engine, by turning the key two clicks (not starting it), listen to hear the oil pump engage, then turn the key off. Repeat 3 times.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
I would drain and refill the gas, and change the oil. Should be good enough to get it started.

Before driving much, I’d check out the condition of other fluids, belts, hoses and the like.

How to drain the fuel? Is there a drain plug on the underside of the gas tank?
Old 07-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by safedriver
Circulate the oil, before you start the engine, by turning the key two clicks (not starting it), listen to hear the oil pump engage, then turn the key off. Repeat 3 times.
isn't that the fuel pump engaging?
Old 07-18-2018, 05:00 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dave7
isn't that the fuel pump engaging?

Yeahh.... to prime the engine with oil you can just unplug the ecu and crank it for a few seconds.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Black R
How to drain the fuel? Is there a drain plug on the underside of the gas tank?
Yup.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id just unplug the fuel injectors and crank it for 10-15 seconds to get the oil flowing before you start it.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Drain the tank and get some Lucas racing deep clean and add it in when you fill up the tank, this will help clean out the fuel lines and injectors. Also crank the engine over by hand to get oil through all the passages and fire up
Old 07-20-2018, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So when do you plan on starting it up?
Old 07-22-2018, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

change oil & filter

drain gas.

check if battery is still good.

change coolant, and possibly thermostat (mine went bad even tho it was 3 years old OEM with less than 5k miles on it...it was bad as in never heated up to operating temp all the way)

change brake fluid and clutch fluid as its hygroscopic (absorbs moisture)

probly wont hurt to change trans fluid either?

I would clean and lube window tracks and door hinges with white lithium grease, as well as below the shift boot where the "ball" of the shifter sits in its "cup"

circulate oil as stated above without starting the car.

pour 1 gallon of 91 in and a can of BG44K fuel system cleaner. start the caR and fill up with 91 octane. go for a 20 mile drive without beating on heR. then do a couple red line pulls. Lastly, replace the fuel filter and you're good to go!

oh wash, clay bar and wax her !

Last edited by thadon805; 07-22-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

drain the gas . refill if you can.
take out the starter fuse and crank it up few revs before you start it up.. this should prime it
should be alright to drive around gently
Old 07-30-2018, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it just won't start...

It had half a tank of gas, so I filled up the rest of the way with 93 octane and sta-bil.

I changed oil and cranked it over slowly a few times with the dead end plug for the injectors removed.

I swear I don't hear the fuel pump priming at all... Maybe it just died from sitting?

I'm going to check the fuses - but I misplaced my cabin fuse cover and don't know which is which - anybody got a pic of the little label sheet on the inside of the cabin fuse cover for a 2001 itr?

I'm going to pull the plugs, check and replace them too.

If worst comes to worst, I'll drain and refill the gas tank...
Old 07-30-2018, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Im willing to bet you have no spark or a bad coil in the distributor, does it crank but not fire?
Old 07-30-2018, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wunfstgsr, thank you so much!

Yes it's cranking and not firing!

I checked fuses but didn't see any blown - well I blew one trying to jump it with a jump box, and that threw an ecu code, so I replaced that fuse - I think it was 15amp, and also replaced the battery.

Now it's cranking but not firing.
I noticed the fuel gauge is directly on the E, and it should have at least half a tank - although I think it's full of gas.

I'm going to double check all fuses and relays.

I just
Old 07-30-2018, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh I also pulled the return line off the fuel pressure regulator and no fuel is coming out of it when I turn the key to prime it so I'm thinking fuel pump, fuse or relay.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Black R
Oh I also pulled the return line off the fuel pressure regulator and no fuel is coming out of it when I turn the key to prime it so I'm thinking fuel pump, fuse or relay.
thats weird how gas meter reads empty.

yeah for sure something to do with fuel... check if the fuel pump is still alive
Old 07-31-2018, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You blew a fuse trying to jump it? Did you accidentally put the jumper cables on backwards? You may have blown more than just the fuse...
Old 07-31-2018, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked all the fuses and only the fuel pump fuse was blown.

I'm thinking maybe the voltage spike killed the main relay or something because the fuel pump isn't running at all.

I'm going to troubleshoot it more here in a bit.

Last edited by Black R; 09-12-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it was the fuel pump - dead from sitting - AND something else is going on because the fuel gauge and fuel pump both aren't getting power.

I swapped out the main relay and that didn't help.

Next I tested the fuel pump to see if it would run when I jumped it - nope.

I pulled the pump and bench tested it. Dead.

I'm going to order a new fuel pump - I guess walbro...
Old 08-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Walbro has a new 525 out if you want room to grow.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Walbro 255 runs off stock wiring. nice replacement. just be SURE to get it off a reputable company, I wouldn't gamble getting it from Ebay, there's so many knockoffs that look like the real thing.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by thadon805
Walbro 255 runs off stock wiring. nice replacement. just be SURE to get it off a reputable company, I wouldn't gamble getting it from Ebay, there's so many knockoffs that look like the real thing.
I've actually been really happy with my Grams 255lph pump since I've had it installed. Same price as the Walbro and runs a little bit quieter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I haven't started my itr in YEARS... what should I do before starting it?