Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 Accord Wagon EX - f22b1 Manual - Stalling when warm under 2,500 RPM - NO CEL

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Accord Wagon EX - f22b1 Manual - Stalling when warm under 2,500 RPM - NO CEL

I am really at my wits end with this Issue.

I have been pouring a ton of time into this car the past 6 months. I finally got it rolling, and it seemed to run great. Not it has some terrible stalling issue when the engine is warm - anything other than the tiniest bit of throttle under 2,500 will stall/bog down the engine. It seems to be fuel related. carb cleaner sprayed into the TB will negate this issue. Once into higher RPMS it seems to run fine

Parts I have replaced.
-Fuel regulator
- throttle position sensor
- 02 Sensor
-Spark Plugs
- Cleaned EGR Passages - Tested EGR valve
- Tested MAF Sensor
- Fuel Tank
-Fuel Pump
- Fuel Lines
- Head Gasket
- New cylinder Head
- Exhaust Headers
- Cat is not Clogged
- PCV valve
- Brake Master Cylinder
-Tested Ignition spark

This issue started as very intermittent. Before I did work on the fuel system. It started when driving spirited, and going back to idle- acceleration off idle would stall out. No the issue is showing up 100% of the time. The engine will misfire/ back fire. NO Check engine lights.

I don't have any clues left. It idles fine. and runs fine at higher RPMS.

I am gonna look at Idle air control valve. Other than that I am clueless.

If anyone knows a guru mechanic for Hondas in Central Indiana please let me know.

Anyway. Please help if you can.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 94 Accord Wagon EX - f22b1 Manual - Stalling when warm under 2,500 RPM - NO CEL

try checking to see if the metal mesh external filter of the iacv is clogged
Old 06-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Accord Wagon EX - f22b1 Manual - Stalling when warm under 2,500 RPM - NO CEL

I just took that apart today actually.

It was pretty Dirty. I had it soak in gasoline for an hour or so. cleaned it out best I could. The car starter up faster. Seemed to run better. However, the issue was still present. It did seem like the issue did improve some. Before when the car would go bad, it was stuck there, and really running awful. No I can play with the throttle to get out of stalling.

I ordered another IACV, and I am praying that it fixes it.

The Honda troubleshoot guide in the manual lists the IACV as the culprit for warm engine stalling under 2k.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Accordwagon94
I just took that apart today actually.

It was pretty Dirty. I had it soak in gasoline for an hour or so. cleaned it out best I could. The car starter up faster. Seemed to run better. However, the issue was still present. It did seem like the issue did improve some. Before when the car would go bad, it was stuck there, and really running awful. No I can play with the throttle to get out of stalling.

I ordered another IACV, and I am praying that it fixes it.

The Honda troubleshoot guide in the manual lists the IACV as the culprit for warm engine stalling under 2k.
You never spray anything inside an iacv, you just clean the outer mesh filter. The inside has rubber seals that will expand and be ruined when cleaner touches them.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I need to self bump.

I replaced the IACV and still nothing.

I am completely stuck on this.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

get a $20 fuel pressure tester kit from Harbor Freight and see what fuel pressure looks like at different times and throttle positions
Old 06-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
get a $20 fuel pressure tester kit from Harbor Freight and see what fuel pressure looks like at different times and throttle positions
I have a fuel pressue tester. I haven't tested it yet, It could be a bad fuel pump. I just replaced it. The problem seems to consistent and with defined parameters to be a bad pump. It seems ECU related. I can control the problem with throttle control so easily, and it goes away always at the same RPM. I wonder if I have a bad ECU. or the harness is bad somewhere. It's driving me XXXX nuts.

Last edited by tech8; 06-23-2018 at 09:57 AM. Reason: profanity deleted
Old 06-14-2018, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a fuel pressue tester. I haven't tested it yet, It could be a bad fuel pump. I just replaced it. The problem seems to consistent and with defined parameters to be a bad pump. It seems ECU related. I can control the problem with throttle control so easily, and it goes away always at the same RPM. I wonder if I have a bad ECU. or the harness is bad somewhere. It's driving me ******* nuts.
hey buddy.. im having the same issue wit my 1995 honda accord ex. I have done everything that youve done to your wagon as well but its bogging down and low idling when im coming to a stop and heating up the car
Old 06-14-2018, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a fuel pressue tester. I haven't tested it yet, It could be a bad fuel pump. I just replaced it. The problem seems to consistent and with defined parameters to be a bad pump. It seems ECU related. I can control the problem with throttle control so easily, and it goes away always at the same RPM. I wonder if I have a bad ECU. or the harness is bad somewhere. It's driving me ******* nuts.
Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
Was it fuel related?
Old 06-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GerardoSG21
hey buddy.. im having the same issue wit my 1995 honda accord ex. I have done everything that youve done to your wagon as well but its bogging down and low idling when im coming to a stop and heating up the car
Hey, No. I haven't fixed it. Since my last bump I replaced the MAP Sensor, and Engine Temp Sensor. Didn't fix a damn thing. People tell me about a timing belt issue, but doesn't make sense because the car is fine once it starts.

I am going to take a look at the ECU. I'm thinking that's the problem. My front window cowl is not seated correctly. this lets all sorts of water and moisture into the duct below it, which feeds the air vent system. I noticed with rain my front rugs were getting damp.(just slightly) well that is right above the ECU. I am thinking maybe the ecu get all screwed up. Nothing makes sense with the issues I have. It really seems sensor/electrical. The car is running smokey rich on startup every couple times. which makes me think it's not fuel injector or pump related.

this is driving me nuts. I might just get rid of the car if I can't fix it soon.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:28 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Main delay was not on your list? It controls your fuel pump fyi
Old 06-24-2018, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked the vacuum lines of the EGR valve and fuel pressure regulator? These both can cause issues you describe and not report any codes. For example, your issue kind of sounds similar to the issue I was having with my 96 ex. For me it ended up being an EGR vacuum issue. You can try unplugging the vacuum line to the EGR valve and see if it runs better. If it does, most likely the vacuum lines are not connected correctly, you have leaks or the egr control solenoid or control valve are bad. There are two vacuum lines that are related to the EGR. One is labeled with a 16, the other is labeled 24. 16 vac line connects from the EGR valve to the EGR control solenoid valve. 24 connects from the EGR vacuum control valve to the intake.

EGR Valve <#16 rubber vac line> hard vac line <#16 rubber vac line> EGR Control Solenoid Valve
EGR Vacuum Control Valve <#24 rubber vac line> hard vac line <#24 rubber vac line> intake port

Vac leak on the fuel pressure regulator can also cause all the issues similar to what you describe.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sabbasaun
Have you checked the vacuum lines of the EGR valve and fuel pressure regulator? These both can cause issues you describe and not report any codes. For example, your issue kind of sounds similar to the issue I was having with my 96 ex. For me it ended up being an EGR vacuum issue. You can try unplugging the vacuum line to the EGR valve and see if it runs better. If it does, most likely the vacuum lines are not connected correctly, you have leaks or the egr control solenoid or control valve are bad. There are two vacuum lines that are related to the EGR. One is labeled with a 16, the other is labeled 24. 16 vac line connects from the EGR valve to the EGR control solenoid valve. 24 connects from the EGR vacuum control valve to the intake.

EGR Valve <#16 rubber vac line> hard vac line <#16 rubber vac line> EGR Control Solenoid Valve
EGR Vacuum Control Valve <#24 rubber vac line> hard vac line <#24 rubber vac line> intake port

Vac leak on the fuel pressure regulator can also cause all the issues similar to what you describe.

Hope that helps!
I have looked at those and switched them around. No change. Tried them unplugged. No change. Fuel regulator has been changed.

I have no tried teh main relay yet. I just check the ECU. It had some corrosion on the outside and in the connectors. The cowl is loose and moisture gets near the ECU. I ordered a new ECU off of ebay. I will see if that fixes the problem and then go back to the drawing board.

Again, the car runs fine once it is started. As soon as it warms up it starts stalling. It's a weird problem that no one has a clue about. I have spoken to a couple mechanics at this point.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

definitely try the new ecu and report back if fixed
Old 07-09-2018, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just tried to the new ECU. it did not fix the problem.

I really don't know what else to try. Maybe its the fuel pump, but I can't make sense of the problems it has. Again, the issue starts one the car is warm, and runs find above 2500 RPM.

Please anyone.

I have no ideas left.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

im thinking grab a junkyard dizzy
Old 07-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
im thinking grab a junkyard dizzy
I have considered that, I bought a spark tester. the spark was appeared to be strong. Also spraying carb cleaning seemed to make the issue go away. I just replaced the fuel tank and fuel pump. It ran fine for 200+ miles with zero issues. I don't see how it could get this weird thing now. Plus I do believe i had this issue when I first got the car. It was only once in a blue moon and not as severe.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to sound like a shill for a second, but have you checked with Eric the Car Guy? His website is pretty good, and there are a lot of people there who could help. He was an Acura certified technician for years.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I have considered that, I bought a spark tester. the spark was appeared to be strong. Also spraying carb cleaning seemed to make the issue go away. I just replaced the fuel tank and fuel pump. It ran fine for 200+ miles with zero issues. I don't see how it could get this weird thing now. Plus I do believe i had this issue when I first got the car. It was only once in a blue moon and not as severe.
Just because you have spark doesn't mean the rest of the distributor is fine. I had an issue with an ignition coil where my car would stall too. It would only happen when the car was completely warmed up and it appears the coil was overheating and causing the car to stall out.

There are many parts of the distributor that can cause intermittent issues, such as the ignitor and even the sensors. Not saying it's definitely the distributor but if it were me I would probably just buy a new distributor if the old one is oem just as good preventive maintenance
Old 07-16-2018, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have personally spoken to Eric the car guy about this car. He actually responded to a couple emails.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mveilenstein
I'm going to sound like a shill for a second, but have you checked with Eric the Car Guy? His website is pretty good, and there are a lot of people there who could help. He was an Acura certified technician for years.
I have personally spoken to him regarding this issue. nothing.

[QUOTE=holmesnmanny;51680076]Just because you have spark doesn't mean the rest of the distributor is fine. I had an issue with an ignition coil where my car would stall too. It would only happen when the car was completely warmed up and it appears the coil was overheating and causing the car to stall out.

There are many parts of the distributor that can cause intermittent issues, such as the ignitor and even the sensors. Not saying it's definitely the distributor but if it were me I would probably just buy a new distributor if the old one is oem just as goo

that is a real possibility. Although carb cleaner makes the bog stop.

I am going to test fuel pressure, and if that is fine I will probably get another ECU.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean to say a new distributor.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I just tested the fuel pressure. It was around 22 PSI, Pressure should be 30-37 PSI. I don't know if it's the pump, or the new lines I put in. Must be the pump, or fuel filter, because it ran fine for 200 miles. I bought a cheap pump on Ebay. That my be the problem.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When it comes to Honda parts, oftentimes you get what you pay for.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mveilenstein
When it comes to Honda parts, oftentimes you get what you pay for.
Yes, that's what people say. I don't get this ******* problem. It's making me lose my ******* mind. Why would a fuel issue only effect the car once it's warm? When the car bogs the fuel pressure don't even move. Though it's low. Ugh. this is the car from Hell.

Quick Reply: 94 Accord Wagon EX - f22b1 Manual - Stalling when warm under 2,500 RPM - NO CEL