Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What are these two sensor's? and where does it connect / what should be connected?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these two sensor's? and where does it connect / what should be connected?

I recently bought a fixer upper 99 Civic LX 5 speed and I'm slowly fixing up all the issues. I found these two unconnected sensors and Im wondering where they should connect / what should be connected to them as well as what they are? I got a check engine light and they told me at AutoZone it gave the code for bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor. I just replaced it and I'm hoping the code clears after some driving around. I'm trying to get the car ready to pass emissions tests. Here are some photos of the sensors: One of the sensors, it appears something should connect to it
The other sensor, it was disconnected and I cannot find where it would connext.Thank you guys in advance! I'm new to Honda's and so far I love this little car, I just gotta get this issues sorted out.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: What are these two sensor's? and where does it connect / what should be connected

Vtec pressure and vtec solennoid
look it up for your motor.
you said 99 lx, lx trim is a d16y7 which does not come with vtec.
did someone swap the d16y8, ex, head or motor into this chassis?
Old 03-17-2018, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are these two sensor's? and where does it connect / what should be connected

I don't believe it's been engine swapped, the guy who I purchased it from knew very little English. It's a lx chassis and trim, and the motor valve cover just says Honda and not vtec, does that mean this is a vtec motor? And is there anywhere to plug these wires into or will they be left unplugged? And could they cause a check engine light? Mine is on but it's mostly emissions / exhaust related. I'm going to get the codes read tomorrow at O'Reilly's.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:36 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

That's definitely at the very least a vtec head. In order to have it run properly you'll want the matching ECU.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

You can use a VTEC head in a non-VTEC car by leaving the solenoid disconnected. Of course it won't reach its full potential hp but it won't throw codes or run badly either.

Make sure it's not a VTEC-E head though. The VTEC-E parts don't match well with regular ones. Since it is clear that parts have been swapped on this car, you need to examine all the parts and figure out what you have.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
You can use a VTEC head in a non-VTEC car by leaving the solenoid disconnected. Of course it won't reach its full potential hp but it won't throw codes or run badly either.

Make sure it's not a VTEC-E head though. The VTEC-E parts don't match well with regular ones. Since it is clear that parts have been swapped on this car, you need to examine all the parts and figure out what you have.
Is there a way I can tell if it's a vtec e head? It seems to be running good, no stalling or any thing like that and power seems decent but it's just running super rich, the exhaust smells like gas and's throwing a p0132 code even after I replaced the o2 sensor.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Code p0132 Help

May need to check your o2 wirings leading from sensor to ecu. Do a continuity test for each wires. Check for frayed or broken wires.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:29 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by mk378
Power will fall off badly after 5000rpm when compared to a non-vtec engine.

Originally Posted by Julianr174
Is there a way I can tell if it's a vtec e head?
Pull the valve cover and look for roller rockers.

Last edited by 94EG8; 03-19-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:26 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Thats an interesting plug.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default *URGENT* Frankenstein motor, need help passing emissions

So I purchased a 99 Civic Lx that I believed was stock, but come to find out it has been VTEC / Mini-Me swapped. It has a CEL for code p0132 on bank 1, sensor 1, and I replaced the primary o2 sensor with a Bosch direct fit with no results and it still throws the same code. I believe that this is due to my car running rich, a noticeable smell of gasoline comes from the exhaust while running and I had hoped that replacing the o2 sensor would fix that but it did not and my CEL stays on. After doing some research and inspecting my engine some more I have come to the conclusion that the swap probably was not done correctly, and most likely was done on some stock components(ECM, IAC, CAT/Manifold) and believe that those are the reasons why my car is running rich. I am new to Honda's and have no idea what parts to get and would like some guidance, I know it cannot be that tough. I really need to get this car registered in my name but I cannot do so in it's current condition with it running rich and with the CEL because it will not pass DEQ. Here are some photos of the head/block casting marks as well as other engine components: I believe this is the incorrect manifold for this entine, although I am not sure
D16y8 block
P2J-6 head
Vtec sensor, not sure how to wire it up
Vtec solenoid, not sure how to wire up
i would just like to know what new components I need to clear the CEL, and to get it running normally to pass emissions. If it is possible to keep this setup, and keep it stock then please let me know how! Thanks ahead if time, I have been worried that I was never gonna get this car to pass stupid emissions testing.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:59 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks like a complete engine swap. This thread says the P2J-6 head is from a Y8. https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...codes-3228427/

What ECU do you have? It's possible that the original owner didn't swap the ECUs which is why the VTEC solenoid isn't connected. I'm not sure if it could cause the O2 sensor code, though.
Using a Y7 ECU with a Y8 engine: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...7-ecu-3196283/
Old 03-19-2018, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe it is a stock ECU, because the VTEC components were left unplugged. I know that the engine will not run as good as it possibly can with the VTEC unplugged but do you think that the stock ECU with the d16y8 can cause the motor to run rich because it's not used to bigger injectors? And if that's the case, what can I do to counter that and get it to run normally?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks like you have a DX exhaust manifold / cat assembly.

These are prone to crack just above the O2 sensor. Air coming in through the crack causes runnability problems and O2 sensor codes.

Remove heat shield to inspect.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Seagull Management

I'm not sure what the emissions laws are like where you but I know certain states like California have a visual inspection that you wouldn't pass.

If you want to try make it run leaner swap the injectors out for Y7 injectors. They're really cheap used.

I can't see what intake and throttle body was used, but those also differ between the two engines.

Personally I'd find a '99 - '00 Y8 ECU and wire in vtec and knock. The ECUs usually aren't worth that much.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have a big plastic air filter box on top of the intake, that is a DX intake. The EX has the air filter off to the side. An overall picture of the entire engine bay would help with identification.

It looks like its manual transmission, so going to an EX ECU will require installing an EX intake and some rewiring for the IACV.