Notices
Honda Civic (2016 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Civic / Si / Type-R Discussions

trading in for a new SI, whats mods should i get

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 trading in for a new SI, whats mods should i get

Soooo i currently own a 2017 civic hatchback EX, had is for almost a year and now. im planning to get the new si within the next 2 months.
i want to know, what are the must get mods for the new si. mods that are actually useful
Old 02-25-2018, 04:24 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: trading in for a new SI, whats mods should i get

Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
Soooo i currently own a 2017 civic hatchback EX, had is for almost a year and now. im planning to get the new si within the next 2 months.
i want to know, what are the must get mods for the new si. mods that are actually useful
Just Hondata flash and possibly an intercooler upgrade. Nothing else. Car is too New to do a lot to it. Like we tell others be patient and do not DELETE anything ( cats, mufflers, etc).

All the cute stuff like BOV & clutch are not "must haves". The rest is cosmetic
Old 02-25-2018, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Just Hondata flash and possibly an intercooler upgrade. Nothing else. Car is too New to do a lot to it. Like we tell others be patient and do not DELETE anything ( cats, mufflers, etc).

All the cute stuff like BOV & clutch are not "must haves". The rest is cosmetic
I do plan on working on the intake system first, especially the intercooler. Hondata will come later for sure and i dont really want to delete anything on it.
I have heard of the throttle pedal spacer
>https://acuityinstruments.com/products/acuity-pedal-spacer-for-the-10th-gen-civic<

want it to be proper for my first build
Old 02-25-2018, 08:52 PM

Well. I wouldn't screw with the throttle pedal spacer. Even Hondata will take care of that part. Don't mess with that. The intake is a nice sound but don't really expect power gains except from the better filter. This is turbo, not NA, therefore, different results will come from changes, besides "MORE POWER". I'd also wait for better intercooler choices to come up, other than just INJEN.

This time, you have to show patience. You could easily make things worse even with BOLT-ONS for factory turbo cars.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

save up for an aftermarket clutch.
oem clutch is very weak and it will slip easily with additional power.

PRL makes the best intake and intercooler right now

Once you get a clutch and want more power. you can easily make 350WTQ with flex fuel or 300tq on 93. PRL is also releasing a big turbo kit that moves the TQ to the upper rpm
Old 04-11-2018, 09:02 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

First build on a 2018? Yikes, I wouldn't even think about doing anything to my 2017. At least not anytime soon.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 2018 SI with 1,000 miles, I just did the flashpro last eve. Loaded teh +9psi map. It's worth it, especially if you can get a hold of a pre-owned flashpro.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Exam23
I have a 2018 SI with 1,000 miles, I just did the flashpro last eve. Loaded teh +9psi map. It's worth it, especially if you can get a hold of a pre-owned flashpro.
Adding an intercooler would be first before adding that much boost pressure.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Adding an intercooler would be first before adding that much boost pressure.
the only real reason to upgrade the intercooler is if you are making more power unless you have the money just laying around. the first ideal performance mod would be a cold-air intake because everyone loves the sound. i bought the PRL cobra cold-air intake myself. second would be the ktuner/flashpro. i have the ktuner v1.2 as its only $450 normally and gets the job done. last would be the front-pipe/down-pipe. lots of different options for those as some are 3" and some are 2.5" and some allow you to keep the heat shield and some have cats if necessary in your locale. at this point some people have issue with the clutch slipping due to the amount of torque and options are limited but more are coming out. clutchmasters had the first one so you'll hear a lot of people have that brand. i personally have the FX350 with the stock flywheel. they also have a ones that change the flywheel now too. now think about some E85 love, the intercooler, and a custom tune.

stay away from any atmospheric BOV as it's located after the MAF so you'd be messing up your air-fuel ratio and running lean.

just my 2 cents.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by chadismo
the only real reason to upgrade the intercooler is if you are making more power unless you have the money just laying around. the first ideal performance mod would be a cold-air intake because everyone loves the sound. i bought the PRL cobra cold-air intake myself. second would be the ktuner/flashpro. i have the ktuner v1.2 as its only $450 normally and gets the job done. last would be the front-pipe/down-pipe. lots of different options for those as some are 3" and some are 2.5" and some allow you to keep the heat shield and some have cats if necessary in your locale. at this point some people have issue with the clutch slipping due to the amount of torque and options are limited but more are coming out. clutchmasters had the first one so you'll hear a lot of people have that brand. i personally have the FX350 with the stock flywheel. they also have a ones that change the flywheel now too. now think about some E85 love, the intercooler, and a custom tune.

stay away from any atmospheric BOV as it's located after the MAF so you'd be messing up your air-fuel ratio and running lean.

just my 2 cents.
As a turbocharger owner and developer for the last 25 years, I've seen this mistake be made far more than once. Someone wants to increase boost pressure, without upgrading the intercooler first. The reason you need to better the intercooler is because increased pressure equals more compressed charged air, which means more heat being compressed. That compressed air need to have better exchange air to cool thst increased charge before it goes to the intake manifold. You can have all the cold intakes in the world want, but it does nothing for a turbocharge application if the charge is not cooled efficiently.

This isn't the world NA, where you just use scavenged air in order to be able to make power. A cold air intake means little here.

You also have to understand that these turbocharged applications are not like the ones in the past with MAF sensors . These systems use a combination of both MAP and an MAF sensor. Getting a vented BOV will not cause a lean condition as a DSM in the 90's...

Head to the FI SECTION to really learn about turbocharger upgrades for any vehicle. Cost means little if its not effective

Last edited by TheShodan; 06-25-2018 at 09:08 AM.