Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Best coilovers for 2000 integra gsr.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:02 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best coilovers for 2000 integra gsr.

Just recently bought an integra but it is so bumpy. I tightened the springs but still bumpy. I'm new to this car stuff. Should I replaces the shocks or buy new coilovers for it? If so, what's the best under 500 just for daily driving. My Car isn't lowered bc I dont like it. Just want a smooth ride. Tia.
2nd question. My car is blowing a gas smell in the car. Really bad. Give me a headache after awhile. I'm guessing this is from the cracked headers on the car. Could not changing the oil cause this too? Any info will be appreciated.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Best coilovers for 2000 integra gsr.

Good set of springs and good shocks. you won't get good "coilovers" for under $500, so, get back down to basics., start searching some reviews from some companies and make a decision. you won't get much of a consensus on this forum at all due to the shear number of available options and choices. Sorry.

In honda world, there is no such thing as "best". Only "best for YOU".
Old 02-22-2018, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

From reading your post, it seems like you're very new to cars. An old 90s car that needs work done to it is going to be hard to maintain if you're not in the know on what to do and diagnosing everything. Gasoline smell blowing into the car means you have a fuel leak somewhere under the hood. You should bring it down to a shop to get it checked out. And you say there's a crack in the headers? Get that fixed asap.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmark1
From reading your post, it seems like you're very new to cars. An old 90s car that needs work done to it is going to be hard to maintain if you're not in the know on what to do and diagnosing everything.
I was new to cars when I got my Integra 6 months ago and it's basically forced me to learn how to do and fix things on my car. In this day and age where almost infinite information is at my fingertips, it's not too difficult to search up whatever issue I'm having and teach myself how to do some of the posted solutions to problems. I'm also lucky in the fact that the car was maintained very well before I bought it, which made the transition for me a lot easier.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that the progress coil overs are decent quality at a reasonably cheap price. If you get them in the 350K front/ 250k rear and set the ride height as a reasonable level, they should be pretty comfortable.
They are a little over $500, but you aren't going to find any "Coilover" cheaper than that, that isn't trash.
Another option for you, would be just buying some new kyb (or other oem equivalent) shocks and reusing your stock springs (since you are not looking to lower, price/comfort is a concern and performance doesn't seem to be a high priority)

https://progressauto.com/products/sf.../productID/779

https://thmotorsports.com/i-578294.aspx?578294-Honda-Civic-404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI--a1yoO72QIV2sDICh21vgoMEAkYASABEgJbS_D_BwE
Old 02-23-2018, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46
I have heard that the progress coil overs are decent quality at a reasonably cheap price. If you get them in the 350K front/ 250k rear and set the ride height as a reasonable level, they should be pretty comfortable.
They are a little over $500, but you aren't going to find any "Coilover" cheaper than that, that isn't trash.
Another option for you, would be just buying some new kyb (or other oem equivalent) shocks and reusing your stock springs (since you are not looking to lower, price/comfort is a concern and performance doesn't seem to be a high priority)

https://thmotorsports.com/i-578294.aspx?578294-Honda-Civic-404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI--a1yoO72QIV2sDICh21vgoMEAkYASABEgJbS_D_BwE
The Progress link you gave has them for $650+, where did you find them at a little over $500?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm stupid and assumed your second link was for your second suggestion of shocks + stock springs. Thanks for the link!
Old 02-23-2018, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol no prob
Old 02-24-2018, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

https://thmotorsports.com/i-578294.a...SABEgJbS_D_BwE

I'm very curious @ these Progress setups VS the Koni/GC setup
Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you just want a smoother ride get some new shocks. Springs/Coilovers are usually changed to adjust ride height/lower the car. If you're fine with the height and want a smooth ride the stock springs are fine. KYB AGX are good stock replacements, Koni STR.T are also good. Both would be fine with most available lowering springs if you want to go to them later, and have lifetime warranties. Main advantage of coilovers, like the progress kit is that they are height adjustable and will generally be a lot stiffer. Another thing to look for is bushings, they tend to dry out and start cracking.

For the smell if its kinda burnt it's likely an exhaust leak, drive with the windows down and take breaks until you fix it CO poisoning is a real thing. If it's like raw fuel stop driving the car and figure it out. For tracking down exhaust leaks this method works well: https://youtu.be/wYVjkyLdID4
Old 02-26-2018, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you get them in the 350K front/ 250k rear and set the ride height as a reasonable level, they should be pretty comfortable.

Originally Posted by johnfitz46

If you just want a smoother ride get some new shocks. Springs/Coilovers are usually changed to adjust ride height/lower the car. If you're fine with the height and want a smooth ride the stock springs are fine. KYB AGX are good stock replacements, Koni STR.T are also good. Both would be fine with most available lowering springs if you want to go to them later, and have lifetime warranties. Main advantage of coilovers, like the progress kit is that they are height adjustable and will generally be a lot stiffer. Another thing to look for is bushings, they tend to dry out and start cracking.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
I'm very curious @ these Progress setups VS the Koni/GC setup
I am sure the koni/GC set up would be better, but looking at a per/dollar ratio, not sure...
I went with BC Racing coil overs on my Integra (kind of a mid price point between the koni/GC and Progress) and couldn't be happier.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I run the Progress kit on my race car, I've never run the Koni/GC setup, but I have zero reason to change after a few seasons with this setup. Best handling track car I've ever driven, better than my Porsche 944 Turbo and my BMW Spec E30.