Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

sjg88's HPDE DC2 Progress Build Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sjg88's HPDE DC2 Progress Build Thread

ive been wanting to do track days for quite sometime but never had the stomach to do it with my daily driver vehicle. ive been lurking/posting here on and off for about a year now and finally pulled the trigger on a 2nd car that i will be using for HPDE track days and as a backup/sunday driver.

i was originally going to turn my old ep3 into a track car but decided against it ultimately because i wanted to try something different. alot of people give the ep3/dc5 chassis flack due to the Macpherson strut setup..from what i hear these can work good but it would mean putting in atrociously heavy spring rates that would make the car pretty much unstreetable.

i was looking at:

93-95 ej2 civic (coupes)
99-00 em1 civic si
94-01 integra GSR

I almost bouht a very clean 95 dx coupe but the guy wanted to much $$ for it and ultimately i would rather have the B series motor from the get go instead of having to swap it. I really like the way these cars look but its hard to find clean ones in the northeast.

So..it was either the EM1 civic or the dc2 integra..i would have grabbed either one but i knew that if i didnt buy this red integra i would have regretted it. i found a clean milano red em1 but ..i had to get this integra.

its a 2001 with about 198K miles on it..it's BONE STOCK and it needs some TLC but it's in very good condition in the sense that there is ZERO rust on the body and it is bone stock. the paint is pretty beat up but that will be fixed in time.

For now I am going to work on getting the suspension components refreshed and fix some gremlins it has. The windshield wiper acts kinda funky and it needs a new antenna. I do plan on adding some track friendly mods down the road such as n oil cooler and a kongi/GC setup but for now the goal is just to get fresh and put some wheels on it. either kosei k1's or TRM C1's with some good tires.

I have some time off for the holidays so I will begin pulling everything apart and buying replacement parts and such and posting updates.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: sjg88's HPDE DC2 Progress Build Thread

Cool! I've had my DC2 for a little over 2 years now. If you'd have told me when I bought it how much I'd end up loving it I'd have told you you were bonkers. I also had an EP3 and the Integra is just a LOT better from the get-go, in my opinion. I'd say in addition to your list you should add an LSD. It made huge difference in the car.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I too just picked up a dc2 integra today and have the same plans as you. Look forward to watch the progress. Yours is in a lot better shape than mine.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Josh R.
Cool! I've had my DC2 for a little over 2 years now. If you'd have told me when I bought it how much I'd end up loving it I'd have told you you were bonkers. I also had an EP3 and the Integra is just a LOT better from the get-go, in my opinion. I'd say in addition to your list you should add an LSD. It made huge difference in the car.
What kind of LSD are you running?

the ep3 makes a good daily driver and i like mine very much but i will say the integra feels like a go-kart compared to the civic. ALOT lighter

Originally Posted by scott5
I too just picked up a dc2 integra today and have the same plans as you. Look forward to watch the progress. Yours is in a lot better shape than mine.
nice! what year did you get? make a thread and share!

some more pics before i start tearing things down! this car was from the south and as someone who lives in the northeast i am quite ecstatic that there is no rust on this car whatsoever. i can paint these Calipers without having to spend a ton of time sanding/wire wheeling the rust off of them!

Old 12-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went with the M-Factory helical LSD.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i have tat diff in my car currently...dont love it. i liked my quaife better, but i really want to get an mfactory plate diff in
Old 12-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i will certainly look into a diff when its all sorted out and i get some seat time. if i swap in a b16 transmission i will most likely do it.

ordered the bushing kit and some other misc parts. it is freezing out so i managed to get the exhaust shield painted in my basement because..boredom.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

finally got started removing all the suspension components since it warmed up here a bit.

due to the high mileage on the car i was wondering if i should replace the wheel bearings while everythings apart?

they seem to be fine but im assuming they are the original ones.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If they sound fine and turn smoothly I would just run them. Pick up spares so you have them.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one side sounds alittle crunchy now that its off the car so i will probably wind up replacing them

finally got all the bits off. front end suspension is totally trashed. ball joints, bushings, etc. time to get new ones!

Old 01-18-2018, 06:40 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

B16 tranny?
Its a bit short in the gears if its not matched with an actual B16 from my personal experiences.
If your are running the GSR motor stick with that tranny.

While you have that suspension off start taking off the sound deadening in the wheel wells.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
B16 tranny?
Its a bit short in the gears if its not matched with an actual B16 from my personal experiences.
If your are running the GSR motor stick with that tranny.

While you have that suspension off start taking off the sound deadening in the wheel wells.
how much different are the b18c1's power delivery compared to the b18c5 (usdm type r)?

from what i understand the type R transmission is pretty much the same as the b16
Old 01-19-2018, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjg88
how much different are the b18c1's power delivery compared to the b18c5 (usdm type r)?

from what i understand the type R transmission is pretty much the same as the b16
I can't imagine it's much worse than the B16. The B16 shares the same 1st-4th (I believe 5th too) ratio's as the USDM ITR/CTR transmissions. The 98' spec ITR has the GSR 4/5th ratio and 4.7 FD.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

having run both a gsr trans with a 4.7 and type r box on track, the r/b16 gearing is night and day better. if my gsr box had a 4.9 it would be an improvement, but the gear to gear spread is noticeable and i spent a lot of timing falling out of vtec and watching the rest of the field walk away out of certain corners. also waiting on a new reproduction set of a 5th gear that i think was from the 92ish gsr? thats shorter than anything else so the car can still accelerate in 5th
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2018, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

If you need parts let me know... i'm going from the DC2 to an EM1. My DC2 is just sitting full of parts i cant use. hard race lower rear lower control arms, PCI seat mounts, ASR brace (in metallic red), etc.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kaan
If you need parts let me know... i'm going from the DC2 to an EM1. My DC2 is just sitting full of parts i cant use. hard race lower rear lower control arms, PCI seat mounts, ASR brace (in metallic red), etc.
Hmmm not to hijack but depending on price I'd be interested in the three items listed...
Old 01-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S2k@9K
I can't imagine it's much worse than the B16. The B16 shares the same 1st-4th (I believe 5th too) ratio's as the USDM ITR/CTR transmissions. The 98' spec ITR has the GSR 4/5th ratio and 4.7 FD.
yea i think it would be a good track mod..but would probly make driving it on the street alittle annoying. it sounds like fun with a lightweight flywheel though...

Originally Posted by Kaan
thanks, will send you a PM
Old 01-23-2018, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

weather warmed up so i managed to get some stuff done. a forum member here hooked me up and helped me press out and install new poly bushings. these are probably the only ones i will replace as the others are still in good condition and are kind of a bitch to press out. a big props to him!

scored a nice set of cloth seats on craigslist. i normally would hold off on this kind of stuff until later but the price was too good to pass up and they are in great condition.

had the local garage press out the bearings and ball joints on the front knuckles so i could get them wire wheeled and painted. i think i might be going with longer wheel studs. not 100% sure though

painting the lower control arms.

prepping the brake calipers/brackets for paint. luckily there is no rust on these things but alot of brake dust and dirt. if this car was from up north they'd be totally trashed. i also noticed the mid pipe had some rust on it..i wire wheeled the rear portion down (and removing the anti-corrosion tin plating in the process) and repainted it with some glossy paint. not sure how this will hold off rust but i dont really plan on driving this car in the winter anyways. i am going to stick with the OEM exhaust for the time being and maybe do a cat delete as it is in superb condition regarding the flanges and bolts.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjg88
yea i think it would be a good track mod..but would probly make driving it on the street alittle annoying. it sounds like fun with a lightweight flywheel though...
It's not so bad, I drove my hatch with the 98 spec trans for about 1K miles before putting it in the shop. IMO, 1st is too short and all but completely useless in either the B16 or R trans. I was going to swap in a 3.077 1st, but, come to realize that it is really only needed on the street or drag racing.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:08 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

From my personal experience 4th gear was a bit too short on long straights like Thunderhill or Laguna.
That is with a B-16 tranny.
Switched over to a Type R tranny with the Gear X 4.9 FD and things got much better in those straights including hitting vtec in 5th gear.
Mind you this is a full on race car that is tuned with a Hondata S300 91 octane gas By RedZone Tuning
Old 01-25-2018, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
From my personal experience 4th gear was a bit too short on long straights like Thunderhill or Laguna.
That is with a B-16 tranny.
Switched over to a Type R tranny with the Gear X 4.9 FD and things got much better in those straights including hitting vtec in 5th gear.
Mind you this is a full on race car that is tuned with a Hondata S300 91 octane gas By RedZone Tuning
that doesnt make sense...b16 and itr gear sets are the same both have 1.107 4th gears, unless you got a jdm itr box?.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:35 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Bingo!
Someone is doing his homework!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tried to get sneaky didnt you lol.

my issue is 3rd and 5th gear on our tracks in the northeast. 1 track there is one turn where the quickest way is to ride the 3rd gear limiter for a solid 3 seconds which i dont love. but then at watkins glen and im sure it will happen at vir this year too, my car is just a dog in 5th (i have a solution coming, but it has apparently been delayed)...doesnt help im 20whp under the power cap either but...
Old 01-26-2018, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

GSR 4th with 4.9 is shorter than a stock B16, so how can something shorter be better than something that you said was too short? You said 4th gear was too short with the B16 then went on to talk about how the GSR 5th with 4.9 is better. I presume you meant the stock B16 was too short in 4th and too long once you had to hit 5th?
Old 02-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so..ive come across the infamous bitch pin for the shifter linkage and it is not coming out.

is it okay to drill it out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sjg88's HPDE DC2 Progress Build Thread