Notices

Turbo Kit Availability for a J35 2006 Odyssey. Does one exist?

Old 12-11-2017, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Kit Availability for a J35 2006 Odyssey. Does one exist?

Friend of mine is looking to turbocharge his J35 Odyssey and is looking to get a Type-S 6-speed M/T tranny. Tranny is no problem finding, it's finding a turbo kit that isn't Ebay for the thing. Anyone have any info? I tried looking on the odyssey threads...but no such luck. LMK
Old 12-11-2017, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re: Turbo Kit Availability for a J35 2006 Odyssey. Does one exist?

Turbo Manifolds for J motors exist. I would get the manifolds, decide where you want the turbo to sit in the engine bay and start fabbing. that will be the only way. Cool project though.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
Turbo Manifolds for J motors exist. I would get the manifolds, decide where you want the turbo to sit in the engine bay and start fabbing. that will be the only way. Cool project though.
This would be the only/best way to go about it. You'd just need to custom fab the IC pipes, downpipe(s), and dump tube.

Boostedboiz on YouTube recently built a turbo H22 Odyssey, but it was a kinda hack job.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You may find some cool things if you search for sand rail/ dune buggy turbo builds using J- motors. quite a few of them out there.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
This would be the only/best way to go about it. You'd just need to custom fab the IC pipes, downpipe(s), and dump tube.

Boostedboiz on YouTube recently built a turbo H22 Odyssey, but it was a kinda hack job.
Everything boostedboiz do is a hack job, but it’s entertaining as hell lol. They just put down 567whp with the H22 Odyssey. They are lucky they have Brent from pfi around to make all their projects actually work haha.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Everything boostedboiz do is a hack job, but it’s entertaining as hell lol. They just put down 567whp with the H22 Odyssey. They are lucky they have Brent from pfi around to make all their projects actually work haha.
Agreed. I do enjoy the channel.

Seriously though, the ******* crank pulley and both axles were falling off... C'mon Kyle.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed. I do enjoy the channel.

Seriously though, the ******* crank pulley and both axles were falling off... C'mon Kyle.
Hahaha yeah seriously, thats part of what makes it so damn entertaining. I give Kyle a ton of props though, he does all the work himself including building turbo manifolds. He actually a pretty damn good welder.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hahaha yeah seriously, thats part of what makes it so damn entertaining. I give Kyle a ton of props though, he does all the work himself including building turbo manifolds. He actually a pretty damn good welder.
Sorry OP for side-swiping this thread (and this is the last off topic comment I'll make) but yeah seriously Kyle has really impressed me with how quickly he's progressed at welding. I'd love to see him start using some better material and basic practices (like back purging) to see how far he can go.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Kit Availability for a J35 2006 Odyssey. Does one exist?

Sorry OP for side-swiping this thread (and this is the last off topic comment I'll make) but yeah seriously Kyle has really impressed me with how quickly he's progressed at welding. I'd love to see him start using some better material and basic practices (like back purging) to see how far he can go.
LMFAO I got my buddy interested in turbocharging his van because last year I was planning to do what boostedboiz just did, an H Series stick shift turbo RA1. That van absolutely rips! But anyways, looks like we need to get the turbo first. Oh wel. I'm sure he'll enjoy holding his first turbo. thanks guys..and can we all pray that the van lasts? Because that van will break the internet.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And since I got you guys here what do you guys know about the intake manifold spacer on the j35a4? I've been reading that it raises the torque curve when removed. Is that true? Can that be removed and just put the manifold back on? Or would it need a gasket? We are on the hunt for speed.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stanceman
And since I got you guys here what do you guys know about the intake manifold spacer on the j35a4? I've been reading that it raises the torque curve when removed. Is that true? Can that be removed and just put the manifold back on? Or would it need a gasket? We are on the hunt for speed.
Everything I have read about the OEM intake manifold spacers is that they shift the torque band lower when installed, which on the 04-08 acura TLs there has been some decent research and dyno sessions done and they show a slight decrease in HP & a slight increase in TQ. If you want to remove it all you really need to do is get a new intake to runner gasket and shorter bolts/studs. You may have to mess with the wiring and hoses a bit since they are meant to be used with a OEM (1.5" tall I believe) spacer.

I have the P2R intake .75" spacer with x2 1/8" P2R thermal gaskets, making it 1" thick and it just barely clears the hood on my 05 TL, the OEM spacer requires cutting the webbing under the hood or running spacers on that chassis. I only installed the spacer because I got a good deal on it and I spend 90% of my driving in the city at slow speeds. So I figured any increase in TQ and mpg is worth it.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I just watched that video the other day lol
Old 12-13-2017, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No truer words have been spoken. I love that channel, but I'm constantly smh. I'll give them props to the fact that they are out there enjoying their cars while I'm stuck waiting bc I won't take the shortcuts that they are willing to take.

I'd really like to see you pull off the turbo J, Stanceman.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jim chuck
No truer words have been spoken. I love that channel, but I'm constantly smh. I'll give them props to the fact that they are out there enjoying their cars while I'm stuck waiting bc I won't take the shortcuts that they are willing to take.

I'd really like to see you pull off the turbo J, Stanceman.
I'll do my best to help my bud out in any way. once his build gets started I'll have him make a thread for it in about a month or so once his first job starts giving him paychecks. It'll also be on my YT channel, Stanceman VLogs.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll do my best to help my bud out in any way. once his build gets started I'll have him make a thread for it in about a month or so once his first job starts giving him paychecks. It'll also be on my YT channel, Stanceman VLogs.
If one of you has basic fab skills, and/or access to a fabricator that's open to a bit of a fun project, I really don't think it'll be too hard to get everything lined up and sorted (assuming you buy one of the aftermarket turbo manifolds for the J). Just gotta plumb the oil feed/drain after that and tune pretty much...

Edit: To clarify I mean "too hard" as in as easy as it can be for a somewhat custom/special project lol.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just did a quick google and didn't find what I was looking for, but found this and holy **** it's an interesting build. J in a Civic, but the manifold design and bay setup is something else.

Humble Performance Forum - Powered by XMB 1.9.11
Old 12-14-2017, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah we have a few local dudes I.E. friends in fab shops, neighbors, etc. who have all been willing to help. And did they extend out the core support??? Thats insane! I know theres a forum on here where a guy got around 728whp out of a j32a with a single turbo and 114 octane. Pretty crazy stuff.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah we have a few local dudes I.E. friends in fab shops, neighbors, etc. who have all been willing to help. And did they extend out the core support??? Thats insane! I know theres a forum on here where a guy got around 728whp out of a j32a with a single turbo and 114 octane. Pretty crazy stuff.
Stock J's have good sleeves, forged steel crank just like B/D/H/K, and even has forged rods. I think the pistons are the weakest link, and even then common consensus seems to be that 500-600WHP is safe stock.

Jeff Evans has a time attack(?) J series car that he's been very fond of. Said it was one of the most reliable race engines he'd ever used, just add gas and go. Quite sure it had a stock bottom end as well.

Edit: Stock J series with Valvesprings. Also very curious how he got the engine to sit so cleanly in the bay, that's the best fitment I've ever seen of a J in a Civic bay:
Old 12-14-2017, 05:17 PM
GDD Lonely Krew

The engine fits fine if you dont need ground clearance from being stanced out. Most people run their car much lower than that green EG plus he has those monster tires on the front raising it up even more. Most people just prefer to cut their hood a bit instead of chancing a major impact to the oil pan. I dont think he has done anything special with the mounting...
Old 12-15-2017, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah man J's are just straight up awesome. And with what the unknown said, Jeff is most likely using gen 2 J series into EG hasport mounts. they set the engine lower so that it clears the hood, but also makes the oil pan available for damage. Personally I'd still use gen 1 cause id rather chop up an 80 dollar hood than deal with that kinda stuff.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah man J's are just straight up awesome. And with what the unknown said, Jeff is most likely using gen 2 J series into EG hasport mounts. they set the engine lower so that it clears the hood, but also makes the oil pan available for damage. Personally I'd still use gen 1 cause id rather chop up an 80 dollar hood than deal with that kinda stuff.
Gen 2 mounts, with a dry sump
Old 12-15-2017, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

(;