Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 bogging cold start up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default H22 bogging cold start up?

Here goes nothing. I have a 4th gen prelude h22a swap chipped p28. The the issue im having is on cold start up, the engine bogs when giving it gas. After its warm, its drives fine below vtec, once i get to hi cam, you can feel and hear it activate but it bogs and sputters/hesitates. Its a major break up in in power. Im thinking, solving the bogging at cold start up, will also clear up my vtec sputtering issue. What could possibly be causing my issue?
h22a
New distributor
New injectors
Kemso 340 lph fuel pump
New fpr
New plugs
New wires
New etc sensor
New vtec solenoid gasket.
Pretty much all new since its a fresh build
Head is the newest with not even 50 since it was fully decarbonized with new seals, valves, springs, etc.
timing is good i set it up when motor was out of the car and spun it plenty of times and marks lined up. Im just stumped. Help???
Old 06-20-2019, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: H22 bogging cold start up?

Hey man did you ever fix this problem? I did a h23a PDE swap and it ran GREAT on a basemap from HAmotorsports and I went and go it tuned and instantly when leaving the shop my car started doing this. Before it had NO problems cold start, NO sputtering in vtec. Now literally the same issue as you RIGHT after the street tune.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H23a92lude
Hey man did you ever fix this problem? I did a h23a PDE swap and it ran GREAT on a basemap from HAmotorsports and I went and go it tuned and instantly when leaving the shop my car started doing this. Before it had NO problems cold start, NO sputtering in vtec. Now literally the same issue as you RIGHT after the street tune.
Ended up being low compression
Old 06-20-2019, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I’ll check mine again before I went to get tuned it was 190psi COLD across the board. I feels like it’s throttle related though especially since it drove perfect fine for months on the basemap and then started acting like this RIGHT after the tune
Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H23a92lude
I guess I’ll check mine again before I went to get tuned it was 190psi COLD across the board. I feels like it’s throttle related though especially since it drove perfect fine for months on the basemap and then started acting like this RIGHT after the tune
My bad man. I was thinking of a totally different h22 I had. This was long ago. This issue was after my swap, good running motor. Ended up being my fault. I installed a 340 lph fuel pump on stock fuel regulator. After installing an adj fpr I seen my fuel pressure was too high. That was my problem. I turned down the fuel pressure. Stock regulator couldn't handle the bigger flow
Old 06-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man! I’m still on stock pump and stock h22 injectors. Feels like the tps calibration that he did is off? In the Ecu? With my multimeter I set it right on .5V so idk. Taking it back to him next Friday