Notices

Quieting eBay Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quieting eBay Exhaust

Bought the cheap $90 eBay exhaust system for my CRX and I'm wondering what would be the best way to make it quieter. I have the silencer in currently but it is still way too loud. Have a cat delete with test pipe as well if it makes a difference. Was thinking about getting just a weld in muffler and cutting the section out and having an exhaust shop weld it up, anyone have a suggestion as to what would be the best? Don't want it to be whisper quiet, just a little louder than stock. I also saw a Walker brand bolt on muffler on eBay for $100 or so bucks, what would be my best bet?
Old 10-13-2017, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Quieting eBay Exhaust

Muffler shop would be fine if you're not into 100% looks. Does this car have a resonator? I had a 20" or so resonator installed on my 90 hatch for 70 bucks, then another 90 or so for a generic Flowmaster muffler. I picked up a random chrome exhaust finisher from the junkyard and it looks pretty nice, doesn't beg for attention. I left the 3" piping on from the previous owner with no cat and it's comfortable inside the car, but notable. Straight pipe would also make a difference. Having that extra little bend in there can quiet it down a little. I also have the ZC 4-2-1 header. The muffler shop can do the cutting for you btw.

The prior owner had it straight piped all the way back and it sounded like somebody stuck a trumpet in a boat horn. I got pulled over twice in a month which prompted me to do the resonator, then muffler when I got pulled over again. I haven't been pulled over in 6 years now for exhaust. I can show pics later but I'm at work right now.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try putting in a/another resonator in place of the cat delete. I have it that way on mine and it's not very loud, but I have a tanabe system on mine. Not sure how crappy the muffler is on your ebay system, but I imagine the muffler is where you'll be able to cut out most of the sound.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this board has gotten a little old but just for the sake of putting the information out there, keeping the stock air box and plastic intake tubing as well as the stock cast exhaust does wonders for the exhaust note. My integra came with a straight through exhaust when I bought it, and even though I wouldn’t describe it as quiet, because of the stock air box, and header, the sound was very well tuned in that it didn’t have that booming BWAAAAAAAAH sound to it. It had a more subdued guttural growl. Also psswrd:Jdm makes a carbon fiber “whale dick” intake that sounds awesome. There’s just something about aluminum or steel intake tubing, and stainless headers that ruin the sound of our engines. IMHO...
Old 06-23-2018, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

also if you had a catalytic converter in there instead of the delete peace your exhaust would quiet down by about 50%
if you you are worried about power
then get the converter in a bigger size and problem fixed
check out my build thread Marcos new work car 90 sedan
mines free flowing and just as quiet as stock