Notices

THE LUNCHBOX!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default THE LUNCHBOX!

ey guys! I'm Will from Australia, owner of a 1989 Honda Civic ED6. Bought the car around September 2014 as a daily/track car, something to get me from point A to B, but something I can have fun with on the track/touge. Decided to name her The Lunchbox because it's so small, a little go kart through the corners she is, plus "lawnmower" is too common for a Honda lol..

Finally decided to do a build thread as I plan on taking The Lunchbox a very long way, hopefully one day it will be a full dedicated track car. So here it is!!

****As many would know, photobucket went to **** so I'm in the process of going through the entire thread and fixing up every photo through another hosting site, having to re-upload every photo, so please bare with me fam!

Day one:

Current:

Last edited by afx31; 09-14-2017 at 04:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: THE LUNCHBOX!

So the first week I had her I bought a whole black/grey interior set due to there being a ugly blue one in there and I just couldn't stand it lol... Managed to fit it all into the lunchbox including dash, plz guys its a ute

I also did a custom muffler delete because back in the days I loved making noise with a loud exhaust, still do but starting to prefer induction>exhaust!

Last edited by afx31; 11-18-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:19 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ectoplasm
Awesome build. Keep up the good work!
Cheers mate! I'm just going through all the photos to get everything up to date, I'll do it over the next week bit by bit so we are up to date!
Old 06-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Next up was some suspension mods, and you cannot go wrong with coilovers! Picked up some second hand GAB SS Coilover's along with front and rear Skunk2 Camber arms, and also a red center garnish for the rear as the ADM came out with black ones instead

My rep j's spoiler arrived and I bought a set of Work Equip 01's painted red, as I feel these suited the car with that oldschool look of the wheels aswell. I still had to lower it more as this was way too high for me. Specs for the works are 15x7.5 +32(front) +29(rear)

Last edited by afx31; 11-18-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A couple of weeks after I had installed the camber arms and coilovers, I went through a massive pot hole and managed to snap the top mounting bracket stud of one of the front camber arms, was suprised because its skunk2 and they are a good brand, so i thought. So I did my research and found out the actual mounting brackets of the skunk2 camber arms are really weak and you can bend it with ease if you use your hands. So as suggested on the forum, I swapped the OEM mounting bracket in and havn't had any trouble since (Y)
Old 06-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JDM FRONT WOOOO!

Got my JDM front from a mate and took it straight to my painter, he cleaned it all up with a fresh coat of OEM white to match, and I chucked it all on that night from 8pm-2am it took me. I also had all my side trims and rear bar trim painted white to match the EF9 all white colour scheme but didn't get the door trims on for another few weeks later. Here are some photos of my car the next day at the JDMYard Honda Show-off 2014:

Last edited by afx31; 11-18-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I REALLY am digging that rear spoiler.

How much did that run you?
Old 06-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slenderman
I REALLY am digging that rear spoiler.

How much did that run you?
It's a J's rep from ebay, its pretty much the same thing just a slight bit off of shape, was only like $200-$300 shipped to AUS from USA
Old 06-19-2015, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by afx31
It's a J's rep from ebay, its pretty much the same thing just a slight bit off of shape, was only like $200-$300 shipped to AUS from USA

I just did some poking around on ebay and saw em for about $170 shipped, which ain't bad.

Mind if I ask you how you attached it to the car?
Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm liking your car, looks great with color matched moldings too!

Slenderman, the eBay ones bolt up like a stock one. One of my buddies has one and it fit his car very well.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jonGSR
I'm liking your car, looks great with color matched moldings too!

Slenderman, the eBay ones bolt up like a stock one. One of my buddies has one and it fit his car very well.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Might just hafta pick one of those up when I get some extra coin.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice project !! nice too see some clean carbed EF from australia. how many horses you get from this d15b4 ?
peace
Old 06-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks amazing bro. Do you mind me asking what you did with the blue interior pieces? I have a blue interior and need a few things.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slenderman
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Might just hafta pick one of those up when I get some extra coin.
Yeah prob as jonGSR said it just goes over the factory one. people usually bolt it down or pop rivert, i just covered the stock spoiler in sikaflex and then held it down over night, hasnt moved since!

(as I'm re-editing everything due to photobucket stuffing up, the spoiler is still attached today this day 19/11/17 )

Last edited by afx31; 11-18-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ProjetEF
very nice project !! nice too see some clean carbed EF from australia. how many horses you get from this d15b4 ?
peace
Cheers bro! Yeah just love keeping it carby as everyone always asks if its B or K series, then have some fun with them on the Touge and then lose them, pop the bonnet and bang! I havnt dyno'd it but I believe they have roughly around 50kw or less now, so like 67hp roughly I think. Planning to take this motor a long way too!
Old 06-19-2015, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Evo9GSR
Looks amazing bro. Do you mind me asking what you did with the blue interior pieces? I have a blue interior and need a few things.
Cheers bro! Um the dash & door trims I've sprayed black with vinyl paint and I'm legit throwing the rest out cause I have no needs for it. I'd let you take it for free, but the only problem is I'm in Australia lol :/
Old 06-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SO next in the build came a bride low max, 3 piece brace kit from the states and a lower tie bar. I just used EK side mounts on the stock rails to fit the bride fixed back, its so comfy and hugs you like crazy! The 3 piece brace kit was fornt and rear struts and c pillar, but cannot fit the front strut brace due to my carby lines being in the way, as its suited for the EFI D15 in the states..

Last edited by afx31; 11-29-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The whole point of this build is for me to take it to the track as well. I came across a event here called Nugget Nationals, its a 1.5L max car comp where they do x amount of rounds at different tracks, dynos and motorkana's. Luckily the lunchbox fits the requirements and I was able to enter. So it was now time to prep the car. I did a coolant flush, used Nulon coolant. For the oil I used Penrite 10w40 Racing. I also did the DA9 fron brake setup swap 262mm, i also got the rears but needed to replace the bushings on the trailing arms.

The track day was a 6hr drive down in VIC from Sydney, so my ED buddy came along as well. We loaded the cars up of spares and tools and fluids and we set off Friday lunchtime. The track day was the following Saturday and boy it was a lot of fun! Learnt so much and met some cool people, I ran my mates wheels with some Achielle ATR Sports just to get my through this track day, they were alright but everyone else were running grippy hankook's. I finished 5th last which I was happy with as it was my first track day, much more room for improvements. It was then time to get new bushings all round and some proper tyres, but the main thing was more seat time for experience. But at the end of the day, Nugget Nationals is to have fun with other Nuggets, its an even environment for all the cars, and I'll defs be returning! Heres the write up:
https://nuggetnationals.wordpress.co...-2015-round-1/

Just want to say a big thanks to my bud Al Vincent who came down, went through a few hickups but he was there to assist and sit on the side whilst i had fun out on the track, next time you'll get your car out on the track

Last edited by afx31; 11-29-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a cool build. Thanks for sharing. Will follow.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop

This is a cool build. Thanks for sharing. Will follow.
Sweet cheers man!!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey all wassup, time to continue on with the updating, been a bit busy lately with work so here we go:

Probably 1 or 2 months after my track day, unfortunately i was coming home late at night, it had been raining and going through a round about, lost control and aqua planed into the curb, bending a few suspension components and destroying my rim.. So me and 2 of my other ED/EF owner mates all needed parts, so chipped in to buy a $300 ED/EF hatch with no rego for parts, and took all what we needed. Swapped in the straight suspension components (LCA, caster rod, front radiator support thingo) and I also got my rim repaired

Heres a photo to show the bent vs straight castor rod, try figure which is which hahaha

Last edited by afx31; 11-29-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Took about a 2-3 weeks to fix everything, around my studies and what not and running to many problems. But I went on a tunnel/hwy run with some other hondas and are some pics from it, happy i got the car all fixed and back in action!

Last edited by afx31; 11-29-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So since I last posted, a few things have gone wrong. After I had her running again, I noticed I could smell a lot of petrol fumes one morning, but thought its just cause its carby. Drove to the shops and back and I was down nearly half a tank from full. Under the bonnet revealed the problem, the fuel pressure regulator was leaking, pretty much a constant drip coming out of it, with petrol running down the intake side of the motor, very dangerous from the heat of the motor.. So I went to the wreckers and found one, simply cut it off of that one as the OEM red rubber fuel lines wouldn't come off, also popped to the local auto parts store for some fuel lines. Got back, cut the lines to the same length and then chucked it all onto the new fuel pressure regulator and on she went, FIXED!!

Then the following night I had been having a little bit of fun with my mates on the road, once I got home the lunchbox was idling really rough, bogging like crazy. 2 of my spark plugs were sat in oil, with the result being the tube seals were old, probably never replaced from factory, and were crisp hard. After 5 days of attempting to source the gasket kit, finally got it and put it on, along with 4 new spark plugs as these ones looked pretty wrecked too, she's now running a lot smoother with her new bits in. She does also need a service done on the asap, but awaiting more money lol

Then to top off all of this, I started leaking petrol again, this time onto the exhaust side of the motor which made me very concerned, the result this time, the mechanical fuel pump was bust. On the picture provided I've drawn arrows to where it was leaking from, its like the metal was pressed together and has parted, and it was spewing out petrol. Same as before, went back to the same wreckers and took the fuel pump from there and whipped her on.

Now with all of the 3 piece's replaced, she has been running fine, enjoying driving her around, now just awaiting to get the money together for a bushing kit, muchly needed!

Last edited by afx31; 11-29-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the wing and I love seeing people track cars. The rear bracing probably isn't as helpful as a anti-sway bar or something if you haven't done that already. I didn't see any photos.

Quick Reply: THE LUNCHBOX!