Notices
AWD Conversion Forum This forum is to help with the recent advent of new AWD conversions. Got a question? Ask it here. Got an answer? Drop the knowledge here

DA-NINE's PTE6870 AWD Integra build thread - updated for 2019

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DA-NINE's PTE6870 AWD Integra build thread - updated for 2019

Block finally came home today, 84mm GSR block, LA Sleeved by Howard at AR Fab, O ringed, honed ETC . My original plan was to CSS my old b20 block but a bad tune did in the stock sleeves

this whole package is being put together for midrange torque and area under the curve Estimating around 500hp on pump, and more on E85,

Pistons are to be Weisco K623M84 2.3cc dished Pistons putting my CR right around 10:1

Turbo manifold was second hand friend of a friend type deal that was a "spa" top mount when in reality it was an ebay knockoff. Not ideal but workable.

Tial 38mm basic setup

The turbo was a choice i weighed pretty heavily Looking Into all the other holset variants and the ability to source them. The HY35 was chosen partially due to its 7 blade 60# capable compressor wheel. The other end of the turbo is/was a little iffy, its a 9cm^2 Turbine housing which equates out to be a around a .60 a/r which will be leaning towards the small side but the design of the turbine wheels on these are known to perform well in small housings so I am not too worried about it especially being that I only paid $150 for the turbo. a buddy of mine had it and said it was "hard to spin" come to find out it was carbon buildup on the inside of the compressor housing.

End play checked out .016" radial and .0015" Axial, specs are
RADIAL- (0.013 - 0.020)
AXIAL- (0.001 - 0.005)
Wheels look fine not a chip or bend in sight so i think I lucked out with the buy.

Before-

After-

Lunch break is over, will post more when I am free.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: DA-NINE's PTE6870 AWD Integra build thread - updated for 2019

Cant wait to see this build! I have the he351cw on a b20, not sleeve yet though still saving to get this back on the road. Also would like to know your spool time? Ive been a little concerned cause the only comparison ive found with our turbos is on d series motor and they spool late. We'll see tho. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sps2112
Cant wait to see this build! I have the he351cw on a b20, not sleeve yet though still saving to get this back on the road. Also would like to know your spool time? Ive been a little concerned cause the only comparison ive found with our turbos is on d series motor and they spool late. We'll see tho. Good luck!
Thanks, What hot side is on your HE351,

If i recall that has the 60mm Ind super40 compressor wheel. Wheel in and of itself will put close to 70lbs/min out in a perfect scenario, the exhaust housing is whats going to determine your spool.

The HY35 I have has the smallest turbine housing that holset offers from the factory.

Side note- got a 5.5qt Moroso Kicked sump oil pan and pickup

Old 12-31-2014, 12:34 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to admit, I'm curious what this is gonna do. It seems like a very Frankenstein setup, but sometimes those are the ones that surprise you.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, you never know till is been done! I figure it's no different than any ls vtec, or b20 vtec as far as head sealing, and the head is made for a 84mm bore from the jump. My educated guestimating puts a port matched and cleaned up p8r right around the flow of a stock pr3 b16 head. I already hAve a set of Rocket Motorsports cams 240*/224* so that should help with keeping reversion at bay with the small turbine housing.

Only time will tell.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can get that turbo squeaky clean. Dirty turbos drive me nuts lol. I know I'm weird.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this is definitely something im going to keep in on, i like this idea of the motor setup. ive tuned a few nonvtecs with all motor cams in them and they really rock and roll, the p8r is only going to help that.

be careful with that moroso pan i think they are prone to leaking around the gasket for whatever reason
Old 01-01-2015, 11:20 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every oil pan is "prone" to leak around the gasket, because 90% of people who install them do it wrong.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

the moresos warp at the edges. and theres no lip on the edge to stop the gaskets from sliding out or around
Old 01-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah. I'm going to assemble the whole engine on the stand and honda bond it on both sides and hopefully put the issue in a coffin.

Does anyone know where you can find the collars that sit inside the oil pan gasket to keep it from squishing out from between the pan and block
Old 01-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After a little research I found that the hy35 has the 56mm turbine wheel with 9cm housing, and the he351cw has a 60mm turbine wheel with a 9cm housing. Yours will spool a little bit faster.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the wil spool pretty quick I run a h1c with the 12cm believe it coms out around .89 or close. 20psi by 3200. This build is pretty close to my current one 85mm p8r 404's.
My pan always leaked finally took the gasket out and went straight rtv hasn't leak since.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it looks like the turbo may be scrap. Looks like it's got a slight bend in the shaft. I noticed while mocking up the hot side.

Possible bent holset hy35 shaft?: http://youtu.be/6BcGKSJmumg

If you look between the bottom of the turbine wheel and the center section jay shield you can see an ever so slight variation of light coming through as the shaft is turned.

Don't know if it even worth fixing.
Looking into parts to fox my current unit or buy another or an hx40

Studded the manifold and welded the internal wastegate shut. . That's about all the update I have for the moment
Old 01-09-2015, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i tuned a piston and rod gsr last year with that same exhaust manifold. while it was a pain to run the oil return and tweak the downpipe to not hit the slave cyl etc the thing sure did make power so the manifold will perform pretty well

one of my buddies has that moroso pan and it was leaking like a sieve. i went over it with the tq wrench on 8lbs following the pattern per helms and it helped a bit but it still leaks. i think someone out there makes a gasket that had better support or something similar that pretty much stops the leaks. a few quick searches will find it for you.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackeg
i tuned a piston and rod gsr last year with that same exhaust manifold. while it was a pain to run the oil return and tweak the downpipe to not hit the slave cyl etc the thing sure did make power so the manifold will perform pretty well

one of my buddies has that moroso pan and it was leaking like a sieve. i went over it with the tq wrench on 8lbs following the pattern per helms and it helped a bit but it still leaks. i think someone out there makes a gasket that had better support or something similar that pretty much stops the leaks. a few quick searches will find it for you.
Im going to do a light layer of honda bond on both sides of the gasket for my sanity and for not getting spots in the driveway, ill look into the oil pan gasket now, thank you!

Yeah the oil drain is a pain with a short CHRA, I might be able to get away with a drain plate and a 35 or 45 degree fitting to have the drain come around the front of the manifold
Old 01-09-2015, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it looks like the turbo may be scrap. Looks like it's got a slight bend in the shaft. I noticed while mocking up the hot side.

If you look between the bottom of the turbine wheel and the center section jay shield you can see an ever so slight variation of light coming through as the shaft is turned.

Don't know if it even worth fixing.
Looking into parts to fix my current unit or buy another or an hx40

Studded the manifold and welded the internal wastegate shut. . That's about all the update I have for the moment. 2 holes were threaded and had to be drilled out. Also had to clearance the housing in one corner to clear the nut used for the studs. could have been avoided with 14mm nuts but a die grinder was more readily available

Drilled the weld out of the wastegate arm

Drilled and punched the rivet out of the flapper

The flapper material was really soft as you can see it was bent, hammer and anvil fixed that. prepped and beveled the edge of the flapper and wire wheeled the wastegate port in the housing. Then began the fun process of preheating the housing.... 2 benzomatic propane torches and about 10 minutes until the area and flapper were dull orange and welded it up. Its not pretty but it should do the trick, didnt hear any pinging or noises so i dont think it cracked.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could call turboLabs of America. They seem to be pretty good at rehabbing Holset turbo's.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sent out a few emails, looking at Hx40's now.. no harm no foul
Old 01-09-2015, 11:37 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have any detailed pictures of the bend?

Keep the turbo... Now is the time to do a billet compressor wheel upgrade (thinner hub, thinner blades, taller inducer secondary blades, extended tip, and your choice of blade count and a turbine wheel upgrade (not any larger, just improved aerodynamics and lighter unsprung weight. I can point you towards my sources for these parts. It's cheaper than you think namely cheaper than buying another u used turbo and your current turbo would be a monster.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Do you have any detailed pictures of the bend?

Keep the turbo... Now is the time to do a billet compressor wheel upgrade (thinner hub, thinner blades, taller inducer secondary blades, extended tip, and your choice of blade count and a turbine wheel upgrade (not any larger, just improved aerodynamics and lighter unsprung weight. I can point you towards my sources for these parts. It's cheaper than you think namely cheaper than buying another u used turbo and your current turbo would be a monster.
I dont want to spend the money on a Billet wheel when it hasnt been proven if the 9cm^2 hot side housing and small turbine wheel will support the ~60lb factory wheel.. watch the video above on PC in 1080p. its pretty obvious.

I messaged turbo Labs and got this:

Originally Posted by Turbo Labs of America
I don't think it's bent it might need a rebuild though. It looks like it may have rubbed the housing just barely. It's not common for holsets to bent shafts. But I have seen people running e85 have bent shafts, but only if the tune if off. Because the exhaust temps get so extreme, it starts to bent the turbine from heat.
This turbo came directly off its original application, never been on an engine it wasnt designed for.

But damn that wobble at 100,000rpm+ scares me.

So then I Hopped on the dsm forums to find a fellow that offeres rebuild services for holsets and other journal bearing turbo's along with upgrades etc JUSMX141- look him up

Got this as a response:
Originally Posted by JUSTMX141
Was it a working turbo?

Tough to say. Not all wheels are made the same- I've had new Mitsubishi and Holset turbos that had a visible wobble to the turbine shaft wheel but the turbo still spooled fine and made piles of boost. What it comes down to is how the turbine is friction-welded to the shaft....there can be small imperfections, but as long as it balances out and doesn't hit the housing you'll never know.

Basically if it was working like that before, then it'll work like that now. If it possibly got damaged during housing removal, or if the turbo maybe got dropped on the bench or something and landed right on the turbine, then the wobble is likely a result of the damage and the wheel would need replaced.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing appears to have rubbed- I think you're just fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Might be able to snag a good used one from Brant @ Goldfarb for $100ish....if not, TraderGreg on eCrater has new aftermarket turbines for about the same price. New Holset turbine would be $220+.

~Jus
Old 01-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Justin is the man when it comes to turbo recon service. I've had a few turbos rebuilt by him in the past. Very knowledgeable and awesome work
Old 01-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP,

It is really hard to judge how good or bad your turbine is from that video. Without and oil film on the bearings and the turbo in the horizontal orientation, you could just be pushing the rotating assembly across the thrust bearing. Also, the heat shield is not a machined surface.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand the heat shield is not a precision piece but it is painfully obvious that the variations are in the bottom of the turbine wheel.

I'm going to order either a used turbine wheel and shaft assembly or an hx40 from gold farb. If my nerves get the best of me
Old 01-13-2015, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ordered a good used oem Hy35 turbine wheel and shaft through Brant at Gold Farb along with a rebuild kit.

Went with a used inconel over a aftermarket stainless unit to keep the reliability.

S300 v3 came in, 3 port mac solenoid not pictured.

In other news I picked up a Matco Series 4 triple bank tool box for work

Old 01-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Recived my turbine from GoldFarb today Looks like the turbo that it was in had a slight oil leak into the exhaust side but that is no problem as I have my rebuild kit in transit.

Im curious about the blueing of the new shaft (shown with the compressor nut still on} close to the 2 bearing journals, this is still a hundred times better than the shaft that came out of the turbo (left)

Turbine side bearing(right) was a little darker than the compressor side bearing (left) Upon further inspection i also noticed the compressor side bearing had different radiuses on the oil holes which makes me think it has been rebuilt in the past,

Quick Reply: DA-NINE's PTE6870 AWD Integra build thread - updated for 2019