Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

lost keys and need to start the car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:17 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost keys and need to start the car...

I realize this post is going to sound a little sketchy because I'm new to these forums, but I'm in a bind and could use some help...

I have a 2001 Honda Accord and I lost my keys and can't find the spare set ANYWHERE (searched the car, friend's cars, house and friend's houses multiple times). So now I need to get the car started because it's my only mode of transportation and I need to get it to the dealer to get some new keys made. How can I hotwire it without doing too much damage? I have all the tools I think I'll need, and have done plenty of electrical/mechanical work on motorcycles before... but never the car.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:08 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Default Re: lost keys and need to start the car...

i'M SURE THE u.k has dealerships, have you thought have that one chap.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:18 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sportbikechick
I realize this post is going to sound a little sketchy because I'm new to these forums, but I'm in a bind and could use some help...

I have a 2001 Honda Accord and I lost my keys and can't find the spare set ANYWHERE (searched the car, friend's cars, house and friend's houses multiple times). So now I need to get the car started because it's my only mode of transportation and I need to get it to the dealer to get some new keys made. How can I hotwire it without doing too much damage? I have all the tools I think I'll need, and have done plenty of electrical/mechanical work on motorcycles before... but never the car.
Your Accord most likely has an immobilizer, so you're not going to just 'hot wire' it like Gone in 60 Seconds...Call the Honda dealership, schedule an appointment and have the vehicle towed there. They can cut a new key and re-program it to the vehicle. Obviously you'll need to provide proof of ownership to receive the keys.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dang, what happend to the good days of running a wire to the hot side of the coil. Then hitting the start solenoid with 12 v and done.....I lost the keys to the Chevelle a long time ago, finally after 4~5 years I got a new one.

And let's not forget the steering wheel lock.

So as advised, get it to the dealer or call a locksmith that can do the work.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the youtube and you sure will find some vids that will teach how to start a car like a thief. they may not be specific to hondas but then you might get lucky or atleast get a general idea. cheers!
Old 06-27-2011, 02:19 AM
Trial User

Thanks for the replys guys. Weighing out the options and it looks like sometime this week I'm probably just going to go the dumb and cheap route and try to hotwire the car somehow. Otherwise I'm just going to attempt to sell as-is or scrap it.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:10 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replys guys. Weighing out the options and it looks like sometime this week I'm probably just going to go the dumb and cheap route and try to hotwire the car somehow. Otherwise I'm just going to attempt to sell as-is or scrap it.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:02 AM
Trial User

Hey, did it work?
Old 01-25-2019, 01:46 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin Uri'el
Hey, did it work?
After no response EIGHT years later, I'm going to go with no.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea isn't it nice when someone asks for help then disappears. I bought a '99 Accord last year. No spare key - went to the local hardware store to have just a key to open the door until I could get to the dealership for a chip key. The made 3 - two different people, none would open the driver or passenger door. They said it's probably because my key was worn - agreed since it looked it and was almost 20 years old. I went to the dealership where they successfully made a chip key from the VIN, at half the cost of what it would have been at the dealership! I also learned older Honda (per the dealer) are not programmed into the ECU, the key chip or code is made from the VIN. Newer models have the new keys programmed into the ECU. My car's ECU was not accessed. The hardware store assumed it would have been the newer model method, and they would have to access the ECU.

Some things are best to be done at the dealership.