Notices
Sales Feedback This forum is to list your experiences with our vendors or other users. Positive or Negative. Please READ the rules.

My Bad Experience with Sparktecmotorsports and OBX Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Bad Experience with Sparktecmotorsports and OBX Racing

In July of 2010 I ordered an OBX lsd for my 01 Integra, I received it no problem. I went to install it and realized I had the wrong one. I emailed the guys at sparktecmotorsports and the informed me that I need the GSR/Type R LSD. So i sent it in original shipping with the warranty card.

Finally got the GSR LSD back in September, 2010. Got it back in just a box, with no protective packaging and no warranty card. I emailed sparktecmotorsports requesting a warranty card. They claimed they sent one, but I have yet to receive it.

Anyway, a few months went by and the OBX LSD broke. The LSD has a lifetime warranty on it. I asked sparktecmotorsports if I should send it back to them or OBX directly. I was told by OBX warranty exchanges must be done through the vendor. So around the end of April 2010, I sent it back to sparktecmotorsports for the warranty exchange. The LSD got to sparktecmotorsports on the 5th of May and on the 16th sparktecmotorsports said it was in OBX's possession. On the 20th of May I called OBX and was told they had no record of receiving an LSD from sparktecmotorsports.

Something seems a little fishy now....

sparktecmotorsports asked for purchased date and where I purchased it from, (their website or ebay). I provided the info. A month goes by, and finally on the 17th sparktecmotorsports responded to my email on the 7th requesting an update on the warranty process. sparktecmotorsports: "hey ahmad, sorry for delay. i should have this back from obx on monday for you", monday would have been the 20th.

Another two months go bye.....

On September 8, 2011
sparktecmotorsports: "Ahmad, OBX has your LSD and I have not heard back from them regarding the warranty"

Only thing is that every time I called OBX to see if they have record of receiving the LSD, they claim they do not. Someone here is lying.

Semptember 12th sparktecmotorsports:"Ahmad, thanks for emailing this address. I will have word for you tomorrow" after asking me to email him at a different email address.

Havent heard back from them since. I sent another email requesting an update this morning. I doubt ill hear back, but cant stop trying.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Bad Experience with Sparktecmotorsports and OBX Racing

has anyone else had experience with spartecmotorsports? or OBX LSD? Did yours last long?

my friend had the same problem with his, sent it back and he never heard back. from this experience im never buying another OBX product. they are cheaply made, the lsd was not used in racing conditions and it still broke. the warranty covers racing use too.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I deal parts and haven't really had problems with OBX, they're a discount brand, and you do get what you paid for. As for nbot getting it back, I have a feeling the guy who sold you it never got it to them, that would be my main assumption. ANyone with decent customer support will send it off right away and stay on top of it. I had to RMA a comp clutch recently, and after I didn't get a reply for something in one day, I called my rep straight up, to stay on top of it.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thenoxus1
I deal parts and haven't really had problems with OBX, they're a discount brand, and you do get what you paid for. As for nbot getting it back, I have a feeling the guy who sold you it never got it to them, that would be my main assumption. ANyone with decent customer support will send it off right away and stay on top of it. I had to RMA a comp clutch recently, and after I didn't get a reply for something in one day, I called my rep straight up, to stay on top of it.
so wat do u recommend i do? im really frustruated with both obx and sparktechmotorsports. i basically got beat over the head for my money. the shitty lsd only lasted a few months and i did not even race it, it was my daily driver, didnt even make 3000 miles on it. obx is junk and ill never buy their products again.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How did you pay? You're a year and a half later, so it won't be able to be fought by your card company. I'd send an email to OBX stating all that had happened and see if they can help. And maybe try reporting the BBB on sparktech or whover.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I filed a BBB complaint against both Sparktec Motorsports and OBX Racing Sports. ill keep posting as I hear back. Hopefully this will get resolved soon.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think this is really on OBX, as chances are they never had the item in their possession. You'll be better off going after sparktech, figure out there distributor and maybe message them. I'll check my main reps to see if they work with them, maybe at least get you contact info..
Old 12-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think this is really on OBX, as chances are they never had the item in their possession. You'll be better off going after sparktech, figure out there distributor and maybe message them. I'll check my main reps to see if they work with them, maybe at least get you contact info..
The complaint filed on OBX was under customer service, and the one against Sparktec was for not honoring the warranty. Everytime I called OBX i felt as if i was talking to a wall. they would not get involved to help me with my situation. I asked if they could contact Sparktec directly to see what is going on, and the guy told me quote "I am not going to tell _____ how to run his business."

I explained how long it has been and that Sparktec had sent it over for an exchange. It seemed as if they did not want to help me. its been almost a year, a bit long for a warranty exchange, dont u think?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sparktec also emaile me back when I said I was going to file a BBB complaint. I even suggessted that we hold a confrence call between me, OBX, and Sparktec to resolve the situation.

His response was:

Ahmad, I will be on their *** on thursday to get you the replacement

So ill email him again friday and see what he came up with
Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You hear from him? OBX has the issue of not being the one who sold to you directly. For all they know you bought it already broken, for 5 dolalrs and are trying to get a new one for free. So they have to assume that if Sparktec didn't return to them, that you might be pulling a fast one, just understand that. I'd get on sparktec tho, a year and you didn't contact your CC or paypal? That's on you for not being prompt in responding to his non help.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You hear from him? OBX has the issue of not being the one who sold to you directly. For all they know you bought it already broken, for 5 dolalrs and are trying to get a new one for free. So they have to assume that if Sparktec didn't return to them, that you might be pulling a fast one, just understand that. I'd get on sparktec tho, a year and you didn't contact your CC or paypal? That's on you for not being prompt in responding to his non help.
since i filed the BBB report sparktec responded saying quote:
Response
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have no idea why this issue has even been brought to the BBB. As stated, product is defective under a manufacturer warranty. We are NOT the manufacturer. Product has been sent back to the manufacturer and the warranty claim is through them. There is really nothing more to say or defend myself here other then this will be taken care of as soon as the manufacturer repairs/replaces the defective part.

the warranty is transferrable and it is lifetime under all conditions including racing. I did not file anything through paypal because I got what I paid for. The initial transaction was smooth. Its ever since I sent it back to get a replacement, so im pretty sure paypal's role is complete. OBX has yet to respond to my BBB complaint.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This sounds like the problem with Sparktecmotorsports. When you buy a part, you deal with them. Not OBX. because OBX doesnt know you bought it new or used or received it already broken.

anyhow...

Ive been dealing with OBX for over 10 years.

on average. LSD warranty takes 3-9 months.

OBX sends it back to the factory. They either fix it or replace it and then send it back in a container to OBX (located in Oakland, CA).

OBX waits to send warranty stuff all at once. Could be next day or 3 months from the day they get it.

Thats how they roll. Get what you pay for.