Notices
Sales Feedback This forum is to list your experiences with our vendors or other users. Positive or Negative. Please READ the rules.

Feedback and Review: The "1320 Ramhorn" Styled header for B & D series

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback and Review: The "1320 Ramhorn" Styled header for B & D series

Anybody have this header and some tests on it?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1320-PERFORMA...cd1f51&vxp=mtr
Old 07-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: Feedback and Review: The "1320 Ramhorn" Styled header for B & D series

odd that the price is $30 cheaper on their website
Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Feedback and Review: The "1320 Ramhorn" Styled header for B & D series

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
they had a post on here in the regional section.
275 cash picked up.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

neat looking header.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
Not really cosidering the rate of ebay fees...
Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bought one, will be putting it to the test.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whitesihatch
Bought one, will be putting it to the test.
Nice...I am curious about these as well. I'm trying to pick a header for my B20v
Old 07-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

Gah hope they have one for H-series
Old 07-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought one when they first came out about a month or so ago. It arrived with two cracks both about 1.5" long where the runners were welded to the head flange. I tig weld so I ground the cracks out and filled in with some 309 stainless. No re-cracking issues to speak of so far; also doesn't appear that any new cracks have developed elsewhere. Packaging was pretty pathetic considering what the item being shipped was and that it was going across the country. Pretty flimsy one layer cardboard box and everything was covered in one layer of cheap bubble wrap. Certainly not going to do a damn thing considering how UPS and FedEx throw boxes around.

Don't let the look fool you, the header is of a mig welded construction, probably by some guy in China I'm sure, and then someone else goes over it with a pulsed tig welder wherever they can reach to give it a tig welded appearance. The look however falls short where the guy with the tig welder couldn't reach easily. Not difficult at all to see the mig welded construction, but I'm sure they fool some people. The head flange is mild steel and very roughly cut, honestly looks like an oxy acetylene torch was used. The v-band setup is just kind of blah. The clamp is cheap and not even really correctly sized. The two flanges sort of lineup with each other, surprised me when it didn't leak. The outlet pipe where a donut gasket is meant to go is a little less than 2.5" because, of the four 2.5" donut gaskets I tested, none, including the sub par one sent with the header fit correctly. They were all loose and would fall off easily. I ended up using one I had gotten from rockauto a long time ago because of the complete lack of graphite on the donut gasket sent with the header. The header doesn't even come with the correct hardware for you to use a donut gasket, which annoys the **** out of me because it makes the donut gasket completely pointless if you don't reuse your oem spring bolts. The header comes with hardware, just the wrong hardware.

Lets see, what else...If you have a full sized radiator you definitely need to use a slim fan on the passenger side. There is zero room to fit another fan for your condenser(assuming you have ac) on the drivers side. No big deal, they even say that in the auction. However, if you have ac and want to keep it, be prepared to re-bend an ac line, and modify your radiator brackets to tilt it to the front of the car more. Otherwise the upper ac line coming off of the compressor will contact the header. Even bending the line and moving the radiator it is still extremely close. I'll take a picture if anyone is interested. Oh, good news, you only have to bend your dipstick slightly to still be able to use it. So there is that for a positive note. I will happily provide pictures of the header on my car with my username if anyone thinks I'm just hating on the company for no reason. Another positive note, it does look pretty cool when installed

Edit: I forgot to mention, the ground clearance is great. Header piping sits level with the oil pan.

And to wrap things up, I don't think I would recommend it to anyone buying it under the assumption that it will be ready to go out of the box, because that definitely wasn't the case for me; however, I was prepared for that. It's a $350 chinese header and I assumed it would have some issues when it showed up so I wasn't caught off guard when it did. Assuming you buy it with that in mind you should be fine. Who knows how the quality control is so I'm sure other miscellaneous construction related issues will show up as more of these get out there.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do NOT, Buy this header.

Multiple test done, confirm the design is pure ****.. Not enough merge or choke down as well as megaphone on the end. Lost a **** down compared to a v1 RMF.

I'd look into a V2 RMF header if anything. Do not waste your money on this header.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Trial User

I haven't had any problems with mine
Old 11-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see no point in getting this when you can get an RMF replica for 275 shipped which is known to actually make gains (I've had one before and it was wonderful).

DDTech, since you brought up the megaphone I'm curious to ask because I never could figure it out before. On the RMF "replica" I had why is the collector so small and then the pipe gradually expands to size (2" expanding to 2.5" I think, or something like that)? I'm just curious about why it's designed that way.

Sorry for the thread jack, I guess the info could be used in relation to this header
Old 11-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mdb4879
I see no point in getting this when you can get an RMF replica for 275 shipped which is known to actually make gains (I've had one before and it was wonderful).

DDTech, since you brought up the megaphone I'm curious to ask because I never could figure it out before. On the RMF "replica" I had why is the collector so small and then the pipe gradually expands to size (2" expanding to 2.5" I think, or something like that)? I'm just curious about why it's designed that way.

Sorry for the thread jack, I guess the info could be used in relation to this header
All good 4-1 headers are going to be built similar to that with the 4-1 ending in a smaller diameter and then expanding either into a megaphone or to the exhaust tubing diameter. This is called the "choke diameter" of the header/collector and it is one of the tuneable aspects of designing a header. In general the the larger you make that diameter the more hp potential you will have but the motor will be more "peaky" due to losses in lower rpm scavenging. You want to find the balance (smaller choke diameter) to where you sacrifice the least amount of peak power and maintain the widest power band possible. Another point is that if the primary tubes are close to equal length, you will have only one cylinder's worth of gas flowing through the choke at a given time, so the diameter does not need to be that big. It's rare on an NA header for a Honda that you would need bigger than a 2-3/8" choke, only for the 2.4L+ K's and H's. 2 to 2.25" is pretty typical for 1.8L and mild 2.0L B's.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Garbage quality. I had the 1320 ramhorn for 4 months. Two primary tubes cracked at the welds. Garbage! 👎
Old 11-21-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasnzef
Garbage quality. I had the 1320 ramhorn for 4 months. Two primary tubes cracked at the welds. Garbage! 👎
PLM ones seems to hold up!
Old 03-01-2019, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1998GsRIntegra
I bought one when they first came out about a month or so ago. It arrived with two cracks both about 1.5" long where the runners were welded to the head flange. I tig weld so I ground the cracks out and filled in with some 309 stainless. No re-cracking issues to speak of so far; also doesn't appear that any new cracks have developed elsewhere. Packaging was pretty pathetic considering what the item being shipped was and that it was going across the country. Pretty flimsy one layer cardboard box and everything was covered in one layer of cheap bubble wrap. Certainly not going to do a damn thing considering how UPS and FedEx throw boxes around.

Don't let the look fool you, the header is of a mig welded construction, probably by some guy in China I'm sure, and then someone else goes over it with a pulsed tig welder wherever they can reach to give it a tig welded appearance. The look however falls short where the guy with the tig welder couldn't reach easily. Not difficult at all to see the mig welded construction, but I'm sure they fool some people. The head flange is mild steel and very roughly cut, honestly looks like an oxy acetylene torch was used. The v-band setup is just kind of blah. The clamp is cheap and not even really correctly sized. The two flanges sort of lineup with each other, surprised me when it didn't leak. The outlet pipe where a donut gasket is meant to go is a little less than 2.5" because, of the four 2.5" donut gaskets I tested, none, including the sub par one sent with the header fit correctly. They were all loose and would fall off easily. I ended up using one I had gotten from rockauto a long time ago because of the complete lack of graphite on the donut gasket sent with the header. The header doesn't even come with the correct hardware for you to use a donut gasket, which annoys the **** out of me because it makes the donut gasket completely pointless if you don't reuse your oem spring bolts. The header comes with hardware, just the wrong hardware.

Lets see, what else...If you have a full sized radiator you definitely need to use a slim fan on the passenger side. There is zero room to fit another fan for your condenser(assuming you have ac) on the drivers side. No big deal, they even say that in the auction. However, if you have ac and want to keep it, be prepared to re-bend an ac line, and modify your radiator brackets to tilt it to the front of the car more. Otherwise the upper ac line coming off of the compressor will contact the header. Even bending the line and moving the radiator it is still extremely close. I'll take a picture if anyone is interested. Oh, good news, you only have to bend your dipstick slightly to still be able to use it. So there is that for a positive note. I will happily provide pictures of the header on my car with my username if anyone thinks I'm just hating on the company for no reason. Another positive note, it does look pretty cool when installed

Edit: I forgot to mention, the ground clearance is great. Header piping sits level with the oil pan.

And to wrap things up, I don't think I would recommend it to anyone buying it under the assumption that it will be ready to go out of the box, because that definitely wasn't the case for me; however, I was prepared for that. It's a $350 chinese header and I assumed it would have some issues when it showed up so I wasn't caught off guard when it did. Assuming you buy it with that in mind you should be fine. Who knows how the quality control is so I'm sure other miscellaneous construction related issues will show up as more of these get out there.
I second this post i the packaging is terrible. you have to ditch half of your engine bay to get the damn thing to fit, and not to mention two weeks after having the thing on my 95 gsr daily the thing developed two cracks on the cylinder two and three runners where they are welded onto the head flange. then before i decided i was going to re tig weld it i thought i would contact them about it. they proceeded to tell me it was not their fault and that i was misusing the product.

overall very dissapointed in the product i received.