Notices
For Sale General Classifieds For Sale

POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do

I bought a b18c block from slofu(screen name) and he was selling it for $900. he told me it had under 30,000 miles on it and it came from a automatic. he had a picture of it but it was the entire long block. i talked to him and he seemed cool about it. he told me he just got scamed from some guy in another country and he cant use pay pal anymore.i made a deal w/him since it was my first time to buy something from somebody on honda-tech and i will gv him 1/2 of the payment up front and when he gets the tracking # then i will send him the rest. well i did that i first sent him 1/2 but he wanted me to air mail it, but i didnt. he got the payment and it took him about 1week to get the box built and the block seperated. he emailed me a pic of the top of the pistons and what he wrapped the block in to ship it. thats all he showed me. he did not say anything was wrong w/it. he also told me that he was going to take some other parts off the block and put them in a 2nd box so they will not get messed up while being shipped.he finally shipped the block to me and gv the tracking #. i confired it but i let somebody borrow some money from me and they did nt pay it back in time for me to send the rest of the payment so i talked to slofu(joe L) and told him the story but i was still going to send him $200 on monday and the rest ,at the latest friday. he said ok. i sent the payment of by money order. it had been a few days and he still did nt get it and come to find out i put the wrong zip code so the money came back to me the next day. that night i started putting the tranny to the block and putting on the things that he took off the block.i found out that there was a few things that are a problem that he did nt tell me about.i thought i got around the little issues but the motor mount on the block was stripped.all 3 bolts.at the time only 1 of the bolts i could nt use but the other 2 were ok. i told slofu about it and he said he did not know that. the car must of been in a accident. he told me he would take $50 off the total to get it retapped. i told him that a lot of time was wasted and more money will be used b/c i still dont have a car. i did not make a big deal out of it. the next day me and my boy had everything bolted together and my cousin comes over and starts looking aroung and said that the motor mount to the block was half way out. so we tried to tighten it and it will not do anything. now the only thing i can do is get it tapped again but if you look at the hole you can see that it has been retapped b4. so most likely i have to take the engine out again and drill another hole. i was never made awr of this and i still have not paid him the rest of the money. what should i do?
Old 11-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (93hbdriven)

ah, Brian, but you omit so many details. like #1, that i sent it to you in good faith after you sent me only $450, and i paid $150 to ship it, leaving me with $300 for a complete jdm b18c shortblock. i've seen b18c blocks which need resleeving go for $300 + shipping on here. i admitted that the stripped mount holes were an oversight on my part, and offered to compensate you for it, or take it back for a full refund if you cover return shipping, since i paid to send it once already, and you're still whining. if anyone is getting scammed so far, for the merhandise and $ which changed hands, it's me. aside from a few mounting holes which need to be drilled/retapped, the block was in excellent condition when i sent it, and i paid extra since i packed/shipped it as oversized/overweight, since i strapped it to a palate and built a wooden frame around it to ensure that you'd receive it in good condition. the block casting was fine, the cyl walls and pistons were good (i could still see the crosshatch on the cyls), the deckface was fine, and the oil pan was fine, i've responded promptly and honestly to your calls and emails, offered you monetary compensation in excess of the sum which you've mentioned, and even offered to allow you to return it for a refund, and this is how you treat me. i sympathize with the fact that everything didn't turn out perfectly as expected, though it's unrealistic of you to expect/request that i should compensate you for not having another means of transit while your vehicle is down, especially the reason being that you needed the entire bottom end of the engine replaced. i can't cover a rental car or cab fare for you. also, you've admitted that you've had the block for several days now, known of the problem (since you've certainly made me aware of it), and not done so much as to try to drill/retap the holes or ask me for a refund. make up your mind. if you won't be happy with it, just send it back, so i can fix it myself in 5 minutes for a few dollars and offer it to someone who will appreciate it. otherwise, please send me remainder of the money which you owe me and stop complaining. if i lived closer, i'd drill/tap the holes for you, and even pay for the tools with which to do it, but from here all i can do is try to help resolve the problem amicably, and wonder why anyone who can't tap a few holes is undertaking such a project in the first place.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (slofu)

enter key!?!?!?

Sounds like both of y'all are being scammed
Old 11-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (Jonathan_EH)

send the rest of the payment
Old 11-24-2003, 09:46 PM

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do

there were automatic gsr's?
Old 11-24-2003, 10:01 PM

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (specie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by specie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">send the rest of the payment</TD></TR></TABLE>

word!! i'm gonna have to go with the seller on this one... sounds like you're making a big deal over nothing, and on top of that you still owe the dude some money... he offered 50 bucks off, so give him 150 and take it to a machine shop and use the 50 bucks to get it fixed. i'm about to swap tranny's in my car, and i'm already aware that i might be out of a car for a few days and i'm planning ahead... sounds like you should have done the same... it's not the sellers fault that you don't have a backup mode of transportation.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:07 PM

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (93hbdriven)

sending the payment is the right way but, its not a scam there could be internal problems to any car
Old 11-24-2003, 10:07 PM

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (crxgator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxgator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there were automatic gsr's? </TD></TR></TABLE>

newb
Old 11-24-2003, 10:10 PM

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (slofu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slofu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> and wonder why anyone who can't tap a few holes is undertaking such a project in the first place. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wERd y0 !
Old 11-25-2003, 05:52 AM

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (n0se.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n0se. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

newb </TD></TR></TABLE>

im sorry but i have yet to see an automatic gsr, i have never seen any tranny numbers for one or ecu numbers...
Old 11-25-2003, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (crxgator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxgator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im sorry but i have yet to see an automatic gsr, i have never seen any tranny numbers for one or ecu numbers...</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya there is such a thing as automatic gsr in japan. although kinda rare to me.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

we got 2 GSR swaps last year and both of them happen to be automatics.
anyway slofu is a good guy I have delt with him before Im sure any issues are a result of a missunderstanding.
slofu is not a scammer.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude is this the first thing you have ever done to your car? everyone knows that nomatter how good of a condition things are in a project ALWAYS takes longer than youd expect. He isnt responsible for you not having a car for a few days thats your problem and something you should have taken care of before trying to assemble a motor practically from the ground up. You agreed on a price and after finding a problem he owned up to it and discounted you a very reasonable ammount. Send the money or send the block.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:34 AM

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (monicle)

send the rest of the money - the $50. like he said and both of you should be
Old 11-25-2003, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (n0se.)

thanks for the support, guys. sorry for the long, single paragraph, jonathan_EH, but i'm curious to know why you think that there's any scam taking place on my part, since i've admitted my oversight and offered Brian (93hbdriven) what i still consider to be a fair compensation for it, since a decent drill tap kit and a few bolts are pretty inexpensive, the labor is far from difficult (far less so than installing a shortblock into a car), and yet all i hear from him is how this minor flaw has caused Brian so much lost time that he has to rent a car for transportation.

honestly, even if everything was perfect, i think that anyone who's done a project like this before will agree that (especially) if you've never done it before yourself (and many times if you have), it's poor planning to expect that everything will go so well that you need not bother to make arrangements for emergency transportation- a back-up plan.

Brian, it's immature to try to hold me accountable for this over such a minor detail, and to come on h-t to call me a possible scammer when i sent you the block and you haven't even completed payment for it, especially when i've kept in contact with you and offered to do what i think is fair and appropriate in this case. apparently, others agree.

it's also wrong to hold out on sending me what you agreed to pay me, especially when i've made you this offer, and already deducted $ from our agreed price after shipping took me a couple more days than expected on my part. as i said before, if you don't want the block, please return it packed as i shipped it, in the same (good) condition, and i'll happily and promptly return your money, though you'll have to cover the shipping.

if you want to keep it, please pay me promptly the remainder of the price on which we originally agreed minus the $20 for the wait plus the $50 for the drill tap tools/time. hopefully we can resolve this amicably, and complete the transaction by this weekend, and you can get your car up and running, or find a block more suited to your liking. either way, i need my money or my block, and soon.

if you're using this as a ploy to back out of our deal for a full refund since you've found that cheap, local ls block about which you told me, then in my mind, you are the scammer. i think that others will agree.

if you are using the story of a cheap, local ls block available to you as leverage to try to get the block which you agreed to buy from me for next to nothing, and came on here to back it up, it's not working. further, if you think that tapping a few holes is difficult, have fun doing an lsvtec conversion, as most will agree that it's a bit more technical and labor intensive.

good luck, and please contact me soon with your decision. sincere thanks. -slofu
Old 11-25-2003, 06:57 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your not getting scammed and thats a damn good price for the block he's selling you. Like previosly stated, take the extra 50 and take it to a machine shop. Quit your whinning and give him the rest of the money
Old 11-25-2003, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (dohcVTEChatch)

hell yea i sold a shortblock with no pistons or anything for $350...seller gets my vote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

slofu sounds very professional and seems like an honest man! give him the money, or send the block back....there, done, wasn't that easy?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:20 AM

Heres my thought

slofu

*Sold the block for a great price
* Shipping was expensive
* He packed it well
* He offered you $50 refund for your trouble
* The problem is minor, the $50 will more than cover repair
* He even said return it for arefund if youd liket
* He even sent you the block in good faith without complete pmt, WTF he did this so you felt more comftorable and you havent completed the deal

My suggestion take off the $50 from the balance owed, send it to slofu asap, and get your mounts fixed and call it a day.

If anyone is gettign scammed as this point it's slofu who has acted very professional
Old 11-25-2003, 07:27 AM

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (quikB18B)

Wait on more thought

93hbdriven

Seems to me like this you made this thread to get people top agree with you that you were getting scammed so you could get out of paying the remainder of the balance. Afterall your the one who didnt even have the $ to complete the deal because your friend supposodely borrowed some $

In conclusion, slofu has offered you many options to resolve the matter, you cant seem to make up your mind, but maybe it's because you dont have the $ to send to him, if anything you are the scammer at this point
Old 11-25-2003, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: POSSIBLE SCAMER!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!! tell me what you think i should do (quikB18B)

since some of you guys mentioned it, and i neglected to say it before, Brian did contact me after i sent him the tracking # to tell me that he'd loaned the rest of the money he owed me to a friend- again, very immature and irresponsible of him- but that he would 'try to pull some strings' to get it to me ASAP- this was last week. this week, suddenly there's a terrible problem, i'm to blame, and i should practically pay Brian to take the "filthy" block off of my "dirty little hands" before he goes on H-T to (mis)inform everyone that i scammed him.

Tell you what, Brian. i'll make you a deal. For wasting my time, possibly trying to scam me, and (lamely) attempting to slander me here, i'm going to give you until this Saturday to send me via US Postal Money Order, sent overnight/next day AirMail, the rest of the money before i perform a public service here and post your information for everyone to see, so that they know more specifically who you are, so as not to inconvenience you further and "try to scam you" as i have (not), only to (not) face such humiliation.

if not, is anyone here up for helping me retrieve my block, $, or "collateral parts"?
Old 11-25-2003, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the comments. i did nt know if this was a good deal or not since i found out the problems.when you let your boys get in your head and tell you things about situations like this you panic. i know i cant afford to lose anything when this is a first time doing this but we talked and everything is going to work out so disreguard the possible scammer and if i ever deal w/any body else i will surly post again and get opinions to see if everything is ok.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Brian and I spoke last night on the phone and appear to have made a fair agreement. i'll keep everyone posted with the outcome, since Brian said that he'd send me the rest of the $ out in a day or 2, and because he's pretty new to H-T he can likely use a vouch, and it will help everyone here to know that he's ok with which to do business. thanks for everyone's time and support. -slofu
Old 11-26-2003, 05:22 AM