Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Wivel - New tool for your car performance and skills measurement, feedback needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:22 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wivel - New tool for your car performance and skills measurement, feedback needed!!

Dear hondaphiles, greetings from Estonia

Let me introduce you to Wiveltracker (aka Wivel) - Worlds 1st activity tracker for cars and motorbikes that my team and I have been working for past 20 months.

https://vimeo.com/168308737

Long story short, after working for 2 years on the racetrack as marketing director and talking with many car enthusiasts and taking part in open track events I grew frustrated with available gadgets to measure time and performance because they were either inaccurate or very expensive. I realized that there are no devices specifically addressed to the car/bike enthusiast that are affordable, accurate and could serve as an open platform for app developers.

With that in mind I set out to develop an external device that can be paired with smartphones/tablets, is very accurate and affordable at the same time.

After nearly 2 years of hard work we have developed a device that is as accurate as any professional data logging device at a fraction of the cost. We ended up calling the device Wivel, short for Wise Velocity.

Data from wivel can be fed into a track day app like RaceChrono or Harrys Laptimer etc. to form very accurate overview of ones performance on the track. Or it can act as a performance meter to measure acceleration, breaking etc, fuel consumption checking and so on...

Wivel is developed and manufactured in Europe, Estonia so no CHINA. We have done all the hardware development in house, means that we can offer the product for very reasonable price vs competition.

You can connect Wivel with any car or motorbike via small terminal or via OBDII plug.

More info can be found in our website Wiveltracker.com or in our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wiveltracker/.

The ones whe are curious about how its built and want to read more. Please follow our blog posts: Wivel

I kindly ask for your feedback and ideas what else would you expect from products like this?

Thank you in advance.
Markus

Last edited by Wiveltracker; 07-12-2016 at 02:37 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Wivel - New tool for your car performance and skills measurement, feedback needed

Hopefully admins don't lock this, but it's pretty sweet.

For me, in my old Civic, I can't use OBD II, and my phone already can link up to an OBD II Bluetooth dongle.

So why would I want to pay for ANOTHER piece of technology to hook up to a bluetooth dongle.

GPS accuracy is the biggest thing I strggle with. I bought a 10 Hz external Bluetooth GPS and I'm still not satisfied with my results on-track.

So, I think the GPS accuracy will be the biggest thing for this product-- but again, I would wait for others to try it and tell me how well it works before going out and buying one myself.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you just manufacture a high-accuracy GPS?
Old 07-04-2016, 07:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Wivel - New tool for your car performance and skills measurement, feedback needed

Hi and thank you for your comments!

Wiveltracker is sponsor for honda-tech so it should be fine

1. Our device has its own Bluetooth LE (iOS and Android compatible), so weather you have an obd2 port on your car or not you still would be able to connect sensors with our device and configure them to be displayed on your phone screen for logging or just as digital gauge. So classical cars or older cars (pre 1996) you can use wivel as tool that helps you to display your custom sensor network. In newer cars you can add custom sensors to OBD2., brake pressure, suspension potentiometers stuff that is not available through obd2.

2. GPS resolution can improve GPS accuracy at higher speeds but the real trick is in data fusion algorithms that can improve gps accuracy a lot. This means that we can bring the accuracy down from 5m to 50cm. Our device has enough computing power to do that. Of course this sets a limitation to other parts. For example we have limited direct can input to 10-12 channels.

3. High accuracy gps would of been something that is done already and we wanted to develop a purpose build device for car enthusiasts..so you could have just one device instead of buying multiple units (external GPS, OBD2 dongles).

We have more detailed explanation on this blog post. Please have a look:
Wivel, not your average OBDII device - Wivel

Originally Posted by Dilbones
Hopefully admins don't lock this, but it's pretty sweet.

For me, in my old Civic, I can't use OBD II, and my phone already can link up to an OBD II Bluetooth dongle.

So why would I want to pay for ANOTHER piece of technology to hook up to a bluetooth dongle.

GPS accuracy is the biggest thing I strggle with. I bought a 10 Hz external Bluetooth GPS and I'm still not satisfied with my results on-track.

So, I think the GPS accuracy will be the biggest thing for this product-- but again, I would wait for others to try it and tell me how well it works before going out and buying one myself.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you just manufacture a high-accuracy GPS?
Old 07-12-2016, 03:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Wivel - New tool for your car performance and skills measurement!

Any Harrys Laptimer users here?

Wivel is already merged with Harry's Laptimer app - worlds nr.1 trackday application Home - Harry's GPS Laptimer and will be connecting more apps soon.

If any of you want to become tester of Wivel, please sign up in our newsletter.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Harry's lap timer and would love to test this product out on a few of our cars. Where might I sign up for your newsletter?