Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Wilwood DPHA pad options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wilwood DPHA pad options?

I searched and most of the threads have died. Not wanting to bring a old thread back that didnt really anwser my question. Ill post a new one. Makes sense right lol.

We have been running the DPHA 4 piston calipers on our racecar for a year and a half now. Great working caliper. Nice upgrade from the factory DelSol VTEC system. BUT the damn pads are thin. .49 thick. So we get 2.5 race days out of the pads. Each raceday is about 2 hours of track time maybe 20mins more. We are running Hawk DTC-70 pads right now, may get the DTC-80, but at $200CAD a set, I was wondering what other options are out there. I know Wilwood has a handful of option, but when i talked to them last year and told them we used the DTC-70 he didnt really give me the feeling they had anything to meet that. We also need to add brake ducts to the car, and Thats in the works.
Anyone else using a different manufacture then Hawk DTCs, and if so how are they. Hawk, Wilwood and performance Friction are what i know i can get locally for pads. My boss runs Carbotecs and i could call them, Just always found there pads $$$,
Old 07-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wilwood DPHA pad options?

I run Carbotech XP10, but yes they are thin for the DPHA application resulting in new pads needed every 3 events. The pads run about $160 but are much harder to find compared to Hawk and other brands.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running DTC60s on Wilwoods in my EF hatch, and they are good for 8-10 days. My car is pretty light (2280 race weight) but I don't have any ducting. Do you have ducts? Also, what are you running for rear brakes? Maybe a little more rear can help with the front wear. I use DTC30s in the back, and I honestly don't think I'll ever have to swap them.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Raybestos ST-43 for non-ABS and/or a street tire; ST-47 for a slick or ABS. They'll last a long time and are super easy on rotors. Ducting is always a good idea.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

joel n, is the wear even or you are replacing pads due to taper wear?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Cobalt friction... but I've seen them tear up rotors in a track day or two.
150.00 and up is what you can expect to pay easily no matter what you put on the car.
Brakes are a consumable so expect to pay for them more often.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Currently we run the DTC-70 pads up front and the DTC-30 in the rear. We get 4 weekends out of a set of rears and 2 out of the front. I actually have even wear on the front pads even with a sticky Piston. Rebuilding that caliper next week when parts arrive. I think the next set of pads ill rotate after each weekend left to right. See if that helps at all. I am currently tring to setup some brake ducts as well. Figured that should help brake life.

We had the stock VTEC DelSol system prior, ran DTC-70 pads at the end, but ran Carbotecs prior. 10-12-14-20. They all worked great as we became faster we upgraded. But the Hawks were $50 cheaper and easier to get, plus they worked just as good and lasted just as long. But they were $280 a set $330 for Carbotecs,. All prices CAD dollor.
The first set of Hawks we ordered for the DPHA were $150 CAN for the DTC-60, The DTC-70 were $170 and the DTC-80 are $200. They tell me the DTC-80 will not last any longer but will have more bit. Not really needing more bit, but would love some more life.

We run No ABS and either Nitto NT-01 or Hoosier R7 tires. 2400 LBS RAce weight 176 WHP and the track is hard on pads. So outside brake cooling ducts, this might be the best we can get.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel your pain, btdt with my last race car (which had $300 pads front and rear, yikes). I'm surprised you go through so much more rear pad than I do... mine have at least 8 or 9 days on them and look new. They definitely work, because my old drums did not and the car stops much better once I swapped to the discs in back.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by booch
I feel your pain, btdt with my last race car (which had $300 pads front and rear, yikes). I'm surprised you go through so much more rear pad than I do... mine have at least 8 or 9 days on them and look new. They definitely work, because my old drums did not and the car stops much better once I swapped to the discs in back.
My boss has run a bunch of tracks State-side with his ITB Golfs (VIR, RA, Sebring, New Hampshire, ECT) and said the brake and tire wear he sees down there over 3-4 racedays might equal 1-2 up here. We have small straights and lots of braking zones. The longest straight we have last maybe 7secs. From what he has seen our brake temps just never get a chance to cool. We really need to build some ducts to help with this. Some of the other teams have put brake ducts on the M3s and are seeing better pads life due to it. I am just a bit lazy...